Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.32 Caliber for ICORE?

Toolguy and V22 ... Sorry guys, but after consideration (and a little legal advice) I have decided that I can't release the drawings.

Since I can't control how the parts would be made and how the ammunition would be loaded (within SAAMI pressure specs?), I feel the liability concerns are too great.

Roger ... thanks for the kind words. Where are you shooting these days? Are you part of that new McAlester club?

Kirby, I am close to the McAlister Club, We shoot there once a month, Then it's twice a month in Oklahoma Gun Club,( Steel Challenge/ ICORE, and USPSA), Then if possible we'll hit the USSA match. Chris C. has drug us all over the Central states this year. Illinois, Michigan one weekend then Byram Mississippi. I know we hit Indiana somewhere, and then to the IRC in California. We want to hit Nevada's ICORE match next year. Of course they are handing my head to me.How have you been fairing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone approached S&W about the commercial feasability of manufacturing such a revolver? I'd think it would be particularily successful is states with 10 round limit magazine bans. Here's a revolver that could match that capacity. And the 327 mag is nothing to sneeze at from a defensive handgun point of view. Especially out of a 5" or 6" barrel.

Has anyone approached S&W about the commercial feasability of manufacturing such a revolver? I'd think it would be particularily successful is states with 10 round limit magazine bans. Here's a revolver that could match that capacity. And the 327 mag is nothing to sneeze at from a defensive handgun point of view. Especially out of a 5" or 6" barrel.

It's been claimed that jerry himself has tried to get them to make a 9mm 627 and that failed.

I think if its not made of black plastic and has M&P in the name smith is probably not interested. Maybe I am cynical...

• 2 weeks later...

Truth!

I private toured the facility earlier this year. The revolvers have taken up a small corner in the rear. Old mechanical revolver machines out and shinny new CNC are filling the main hall. They were making smalls and machining M&P and AR barrels. In 2009 they didn't make any AR parts. Today it and the M&P's consume the majority of the production floor.

Being a publically traded company, you will only see trickles of revolvers while all this fast money plastic and AR parts continue to sell the stocks on wall street.

Not cynical at all.

Truth!

I private toured the facility earlier this year. The revolvers have taken up a small corner in the rear. Old mechanical revolver machines out and shinny new CNC are filling the main hall. They were making smalls and machining M&P and AR barrels. In 2009 they didn't make any AR parts. Today it and the M&P's consume the majority of the production floor.

Being a publically traded company, you will only see trickles of revolvers while all this fast money plastic and AR parts continue to sell the stocks on wall street.

Not cynical at all.

I wonder if they would farm out their revolver machining? Hmm....

The patents on the S&W revolvers are all long expired......maybe somebody else should just go ahead and manufacture and market them.

That would certainly be doable, one could reverse engineer all the parts easily building 3D solid models based off existing guns. Figuring mfg. tolerance would be a little tougher but still completely doable. A few CNC mills, lathes, some grinders, someone to do the finishing. A melanite treated revo? I'd bite!

All it would take is money. Lots and lots of money!

The patents on the S&W revolvers are all long expired......maybe somebody else should just go ahead and manufacture and market them.

That would certainly be doable, one could reverse engineer all the parts easily building 3D solid models based off existing guns. Figuring mfg. tolerance would be a little tougher but still completely doable. A few CNC mills, lathes, some grinders, someone to do the finishing. A melanite treated revo? I'd bite!

All it would take is money. Lots and lots of money!

+1. A significant amount of money for production facitlities, marketing and distribution. And the potential customer base is how big?

And how soon would that significant investment be recouped and profits start coming in?

Maybe a small custom maker could crank out a few... but few would be willing to pay the retail price. I think this is a 'Dead End" street as far as any major investor getting involved.

• 10 months later...

Thanks again to Kirby for posting here.

And lucky me, at the 2014 Northwest Regional ICORE match here in Fallon, I got to meet Vic M. and gawk at and fondle his nine shot .32 H&R Magnum revolver. VERY cool!

Unfortunately, it was late in the day, nearing dark, right before the awards ceremony and we didn't have a lot of time to talk. I certainly thank Vic for taking a few minutes to chat.

The idea of a nine or 10 shot .32 still intrigues me.

The rule is for a 32 magnum or larger revolver

1. All firearms used in ICORE matches must be revolvers with a .32 magnum caliber or greater and in sufficiently safe condition. All firearms are subject to inspection and approval by the Match Director or Range Officers.

So it would take a magnum case in my way of thinking. Vic Maehearn (SP) used the 32 mag in a 9 shot configuration n an Astra frame. Kirby Goodman Built a 10 shot on an N Frame Smith. Both used moonclips. With the moonclips not available and minor things like the stages being 6 shot friendly, negated the 1 and 2 shot advantage over the 8 shot, but it still worked well on Steel Stages if you were prone to miss a few here or there. Maybe Kirby and or Vic could illuminate us on the subject. I'll see about inviting them to the Site. Later rdd

There is no such thing as "no moonclips for that gun :devil:" With great sums of money, most things are possible. They dont even have to make sense. A wise old revo shooter told me back in the beginning of Hearthco moonclips "Dont waste your time on EDM, nobody's ever gonna pay THAT MUCH for a moonclip".

Edited by hearthco

There is no such thing as "no moonclips for that gun :devil:" With great sums of money, most things are possible. They dont even have to make sense. A wise old revo shooter told me back in the beginning of Hearthco moonclips "Dont waste your time on EDM, nobody's ever gonna pay THAT MUCH for a moonclip".

Thanks, Dave. A most excellent post.

Many are quick to point out negative aspects; why they think it couldn't or shouldn't be done.

But its just a matter of $$$.

Will I ever afford it and do it? Not sure at this juncture. But the idea still intrigues me.