Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets, VV N320, Glock 34

johnsons1480

I'm looking for some load data. I've been reloading rifle for a while, but am fairly new to pistol. I've been loading Montana Gold 115 gr bullets over 4.5 gr of Titegroup at 1.100" OAL, which is working great at the moment. I picked up a Bayou sample pack, and 4 lbs of VV N320, and I have some Federal Gold Medal Match SPP and Winchester SPP. This is my first time loading lead coated bullets, so I've got a few questions. If it helps, I'm loading on a Dillon 450 and will be chronographing these loads. I'm trying to get to 135 PF. I have a 13lb ISMI spring on a Jager captured guide rod in a Glock 34 gen 4.

• What size should my bell be? I've read that the bell needs to be bigger for lead and coated lead bullets, but I do much better with measurements than generalities.
  • What would be a good starting load for the 124 gr RN and 147 gr FP? What would be the max load for each
  • What is the minimum OAL for each bullet? I would like to start there and then work my way out to the gun max checking for accuracy once I've established an acceptable velocity and pressure.
  • I've read that I shouldn't be using my Lee FCD with coated lead bullets. Anyone have a difference of opinion on this?

Thanks for all of your help!

I'm looking for some load data. I've been reloading rifle for a while, but am fairly new to pistol. I've been loading Montana Gold 115 gr bullets over 4.5 gr of Titegroup at 1.100" OAL, which is working great at the moment. I picked up a Bayou sample pack, and 4 lbs of VV N320, and I have some Federal Gold Medal Match SPP and Winchester SPP. This is my first time loading lead coated bullets, so I've got a few questions. If it helps, I'm loading on a Dillon 450 and will be chronographing these loads. I'm trying to get to 135 PF. I have a 13lb ISMI spring on a Jager captured guide rod in a Glock 34 gen 4.

• What size should my bell be? I've read that the bell needs to be bigger for lead and coated lead bullets, but I do much better with measurements than generalities.
  • What would be a good starting load for the 124 gr RN and 147 gr FP? What would be the max load for each
  • What is the minimum OAL for each bullet? I would like to start there and then work my way out to the gun max checking for accuracy once I've established an acceptable velocity and pressure.
  • I've read that I shouldn't be using my Lee FCD with coated lead bullets. Anyone have a difference of opinion on this?
Thanks for all of your help!

Deja-vu, same thing here, Glock Gen4, had to upgrade the recoil spring to a captured Jager. You will have to, if you plan to run under 140PF 147gr bullets.

My bell is 0.400"

I run 125gr BBI (Black Bullets International) with N320 at 3.7gr. I also run 147gr BBI (Black Bullets International) with N320 at 3.0gr. The125's run 128PF and the 147's run 133PF

I generally run mine at 1.135", I am currently lengthening my bullets (trying to get better accuracy), just haven't been to the range to test them for accuracy and function. I'm not familiar with the shape of Montana and Bayou, so I would start in that same range and trial various lengths.

I have heard the same thing, to not run the factory crimp die, so I don't... I backed out the crimp and now use a Lee taper crimp die in station 5. The owner of BBI suggested this due to the factory crimp breaking through the coating and into that lead.

I hope this helps.

With the bayou 147, I started at 3.1gn N320 at about 1.13. These ran 130 PF , but we're not accurate in my gun. Probably going to run it out long and see if I can find a sweet spot. Still playing with it. I have not measured the bell, but it is just enough to have the bullet sit on the mouth. I use a Lee factory crimp die at .378 and have not had trouble getting into the coating. All of the low power loads have needed a reduced spring. I am running a 13lb and the brass is out about 2 feet from my right foot. With the stock spring the brass would dribble down my right arm and leave little burn trails. Most guys say to use lead load data for these bullets and tweek from there.

No experience with the 124. I got some of the 150 semi wad cutters but have only ran a few to see if they would function. So far no problem, but that is only with a dozen or so.

Let us know what works for you.

Edited by jlamphere

Here is my chrono info with a Bayou 147 and Titegroup:

147gr Bayou Green Coated

3.3gr Titegroup

1.13 OAL

CCI SPP

Win Case

5" M&P Pro

Average PF = 138.4

1/3/2012 45F

String #: 1

High Velocity: 951

Low Velocity: 933

Average Velocity: 942

Extreme Spread: 18

Standard Deviation: 6

Grains: 147

Velocity # Velocity Power Factor Foot/Lbs

1 946 139.062 292.080

2 938 137.886 287.160

3 950 139.650 294.555

4 933 137.151 284.107

5 937 137.739 286.548

6 951 139.797 295.175

7 938 137.886 287.160

8 943 138.621 290.230

• 6 months later...

Bringing up my dead topic instead of starting a new one. I finally got around to trying these loads yesterday, and I ran into a bit of a problem. While loading the 124 gr bullets, the seating stem of the Dillon seating die left a round imprint on the top of the bullet. This went through the coating and down to the lead. I talked to Donnie this morning, and he said he experiences the same thing with the Dillon dies. Not sure if this will affect anything, or if it needs to be corrected. Just figured I would throw it out there and see what everyone else is seeing.

The 147s keep having lead shaved off of them on the seating station. I had my bell set at .400. I tried upping it to .420. I was using the correct side of the seating stem. I'm not sure what to do on this one. Is it ok to bell even more? Am I belling too much? How can I get these bullets seated without shaving into them? Any help would be appreciated.

To anyone interested, I think I figured this out. 0.400 is too much bell. I kept upping the bell until I got it up to .450. I knew this was way too much, but I kept going until I was sure the problem was not "not enough bell." I started over, and settled around .380 for the bell. The bullets stopped getting shaved. So the lesson I learned here is, if you have too much bell, your Dillon seating die will "pre crimp" for lack of a better word. This causes the top of the bell to get shoved back in, shaving the coating off of the bullet. If you have less bell, the seating die doesn't touch the bell. This allows you to seat the bullets without the top of the bell digging into your coating.

Most of you probably already knew this, but I figured I would write it down in case anyone else runs into this problem.

• 6 months later...

3.75 Grains of N320 with a 135gr Bayou Bullet, 1.135 OAL made 131 PF out of my G17, with Awesome accuracy.

RR:

Wondering if you still recommend your above load for a G17?

Got 100 of the 135 Bayous to test with N320, as I can't hit on the consistent accuracy I'm after using the 147 Bayous. This would be a ~130PF GSSF load for my G17G4.

Thanks!

3.75 Grains of N320 with a 135gr Bayou Bullet, 1.135 OAL made 131 PF out of my G17, with Awesome accuracy.

Some folks here are not please with N320 accuracy.

RR:

Wondering if you still recommend your above load for a G17?

Got 100 of the 135 Bayous to test with N320, as I can't hit on the consistent accuracy I'm after using the 147 Bayous. This would be a ~130PF GSSF load for my G17G4.

Thanks!

RR:

Finally got a chance to bench rest/test the N320/Bayou 135 combo. Tried 3.6g & 3.7g @ 1.130 along with 3.6g & 3.7g @ 1.135. Seems my G17G4 preferred the 3.7g/1.135" combo, with the best 10-shot group producing this:

Bayou135_4-2_zps4kvpbhoe.jpg

Temp: 68*

Avg: 991fps

ES: 20

SD: 6

PF: 133.79

Hope to load a few more for further testing/sight adjustment.

Thinking this type of grouping is about as good as it's going to get for a stock barrel......

Thanks for your recommendations!

HR

Try reducing your oal to 1.120 or 1.125 with 3.5 or 3.6 grains n320 with that 135 gr Bayou. You may see your group size reduced a little more. I did in my G34 at 75 feet from a sandbag rest.

Edited by Red Ryder

Try reducing your oal to 1.120 or 1.125 with 3.5 or 3.6 grains n320 with that 135 gr Bayou. You may see your group size reduced a little more. I did in my G34 at 75 feet from a sandbag rest.

RR: Will do.

Feedback is TRULY APPRECIATED!

;)

On a side note, "the perfect load" search can drive a man insane. Just find a load that works for you!

Trust me, these Glocks can easily drive one crazy searching for that "perfect load"! Hopefully, all this test time will eventually pay off. And, I do enjoy the challenge. But decent testing weather is going to fade quickly with winter approaching.

Again, appreciate your feedback!!

:)

Edited by HOGRIDER