Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which BOX STOCK Shotgun Would You Choose Right Now?

Nalapombu

Hey all,

One thing that has interested me about you guys that shoot in the 3 gun games is the guns you use, the mods you have had done to them and why you picked that one over all the others.

I'd like to ask you guys a different question and see where it goes.

Lets say for the next 3 months you HAD to shoot all of your matches with a shotgun that was completely STOCK except for a magazine tube of your choice. No other tweaks or workk allowed.

Which shotgun would you choose to use and why?

I think this will be interesting reading now that there are several great choices being made by different companies. Let's see.

Thanks for your time.

Nalajr

Benelli M2. You just can't beat it and when you're ready to upgrade you already have the perfect platform.

In my mind the SLP and 930 just aren't reliable enough to recommend. The VM is too heavy and the 1301 is still to new to know how it will hold up to 3gun abuse long term.

Pick up a 24" M2 field and add a tube and you're holding the platform that has won more 3gun and shotgun matches than all the others combined.

I prefer the Versamax. But it is tough to argue with the success of the M2. Funny thing though... I shoot my super nova more than any other shotgun I have ever owned. I know it's a pump, but it's easy to set up, supremely versatile and much faster to shoot than most people think.

You all do realize he said "Out of the Box, plus a tube." He's not asking which shotgun you use or prefer.

As of today, I don't think anything can match up with the Vinci straight out of the box. In 3 months, I think I will be able to say the Versa-Max 3Gun, but you can't get it today. If the OP would allow a forearm trim in addition to the tube, I would go with the Versa-Max instead of the Vinci.

Ok, I am going with the Versa Max. I shot mine for a couple of matches and think it is a coin toss between it and my M2. VM does edge the M2 in bothe stock box with the recoil factor. VM is the leader. Weight wise it is 14oz more then my M2. For guys that think its to heavy, Man Up come on Really!

Now when you move from Box stock to 3-Gun ready, well got both VM and M2 there it becomes a personal choice. I think both are very good guns. My personal favorite is my Vm. When I shoot a slug or 00 shot there is no more recoil the when I shoot bird shot. Much softer recoil, one or two shots does not tell the whole story. Shoot it all day at a match, then see.

PS: Benny Hill is the guy who made my stock VM into a great 3-Gun machine. Benny is also the man that Benelli has contacted with to build the 3-Gun factory model. They did that for a reason.

Also since this topic says you can add a tube. The buy a Carbon Arms. I have one on my VM and its the best I have used or seen. Give them a call and let them tell you about it.

Be Safe, shoot fast.

JMHO

:unsure:

This comparison is all over the place. "The VM is lighter on recoil", "it's too heavy", "the M2 is the known leader"etc.

One comparison that I can offer between the two, that I haven't seen before, is that the recoil seems to be quicker with my M2 than the VM. Kind of like 40 vs 45. The VM has a longer recoil impulse than the M2. My M2 seems faster to me due to that fact. I also really don't like the weight of the VM.

I am interested in the new beretta as well. I have always hunted with beretta shotguns and they have never let me down.

My vote has to go with the benelli for the op's question though.

This is just one big popularity contest anyways

For the most part, yes. But, while I prefer the Versa-Max, and I have no desire to get a Vinci, I still think it is the best answer to the OP.

I don't have experience with all of the players, so take this for what it is worth. I prefer the Benelli over the Versamax, the Benelli just feels better to me. My Benelli M1 is stock, except for a Nordic tube and a little polishing on the left side of the loading port, no extended safety, bolt release, bolt handle or bolt lightening work. It is reliable and I have shot a case of shells through it several times in one day and not had a sore shoulder the next day. For what it is worth, my Benelli Nova is stock, with the exception of a Nordic tube and a little loading port smoothing.

Benelli for me.

Hurley