Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vltor A5 plus low mass carrier compatibility

Durtywrench

I just started running the Vltor And and love it. Really helped on quick follow up shots. I'm building another rifle that I already got another A5 kit for and I was gonna run either a JP or Rubber city low mass carrier. . From what I've been reading it sounds like the low mass carriers like a light buffer.I know the A5 runs the 5.3 oz buffer but they make lighter.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm overdoing it by throwing in a low mass carrier or if it will run great together. I'm very comfortable with recoil I just want my sight to be on target quicker. I'll be running a rifle length gas so it be known.. thanks in advance

No expert here, but believe the benefit to the low mass concept is realized when you have an adjustable gas block, and then reduce the gas flow to just enough for reliable function. Its the reduction of gas flow that gives the reduced recoil.

The downside is the possibility of reduced reliability when dirty, as the extra mass can overcome some crud and still lock bolt. What kind of gas block are you planning to use on the new build?

Mark

Why would you want to use an A5 buffer, especially if you are going to use a low-mass carrier? All you would accomplish is a reciprocating weight similar to a standard weight carrier and a GI CAR buffer. Even the lightest available A5 buffer is heavier than a GI CAR buffer. Counterproductive in my mind. There is some argument to the slightly longer spring used in the A5, that it is a more constant rate, longer-lasting, etc, but this is splitting hairs. If you are going for lightest possible recoil, get a low-mass carrier, lightweight buffer, and adjustable gas, then there may be a noticeable difference, but this will be reduced since you already have a rifle-gas system.

What you are likely noticing in terms of recoil reduction is likely the result of some excess gas, and would likely be accomplished just as well (and with no exotic parts) with an adjustable gas block. Syrac gets the nod here. I have used a Kies, which is an OK choice on a budget, but anticipate having to seal the adjustment screw as it will likely be leaky.

And before all of these exotic parts, look at your muzzle device. That is where the vast majority of recoil reduction come from anyways.

Edited by mic2377

• 1 month later...

I run the A5 on my comp gun and also love it. It's am 18" with rifle length gas system and full auto BCG. I get the reciprocating mass argument, but with a .223 I don't see that there is that much of a difference anyway. I have friends with JP's but I would put my rifle against theirs anyway. I think your muzzlebrake and trigger can mitigate the need for messing with the bolt carrier. If you go bolt the lightened route, then I agree: use the adjustable gas block and lighter buffer spring. You would probably want to skip the A5.