Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New From Mason, OH

CowToes

Howdy, I'm new to the forum from Mason, OH. I am fairly active over at Beretta Forum with the same screen name. I went to one IDPA competition not to far from me and it was Cold as H*ll since it was the first one of the year, but I had a good time. I didn't make to any others this year. I guess it was a combination of life getting in the way, none of my friends are interested in getting into it with me, and cost of shooting that much ammo. The people at the competition I went to weren't particularly friendly or helpful, and dispite my attempts to start conversations with them it was very much the "old boys club" with the regulars only conversing with each other. I have started to reload so the cost issue isn't such a big deal since I have cut my ammo cost in half. I am interested in shooting USPSA Production, IDPA SSP, and eventually Multi-gun in Limited then Tactical. I am in the US Army reserves and by the Army standard I am an outstanding shooter, almost always qualifying Expert, but by our standards that puts me at a skill level just about the top end of average.

Firearms are becoming more of an addiction than a hobby at this point. In the past 11 months I purchased a Beretta 96FS Inox, a Beretta 92FS Inox Compact w/rail, S&W M&P15, M1903A4(since sold), Kimber Ultra CDP II LG, Lee Loadmaster press and a boat load of stuff to go with it, a holster or 2 for every gun and tons of misc accessories. That's not counting what I convinced my fiance to buy for herself.

I also enjoy riding my motorcycle but with winter closing in I expect to be spending more time at my local range, Point Blank.

My hope is that from this forum I might get to know some competitors in my area that wouldn't mind taking me along to some competitions. I feel like information is very fragmented in this sport and it causes kind of an overwelming sensation when trying to enter the field without knowing anyone, so I am hoping I might end up getting a small amount of handholding.

Welcome!

There a several ranges in your area that shoot USPSA.

Oxford, Ohio (1st Sunday)

Miamisburg Sportsmens Club, Miamisburg (3rd Sunday)

Miami Rifle and Pistol Club in Batavia ( 4th Sunday).

If you feel like driving, Circleville has a match (1st Saturday)

Bowling Green , south of Lexington,

Silvercreek in Sellersburg, IN ( 2nd Sunday)

In Miamisburg, there is also a Monday night indoor USPSA practice league. We shoot every Monday from September to May. 3 stages, ~ 72 rnds. $9 for non club members.

I have heard of this one in Oxford a couple times, but I am unable to find any information about what club it is at, or address or anything else. I just keep hearing "Theres also one in Oxford."

I had no Idea there was anyone doing any indoor USPSA around here. I think that would be great for me to get some practice before next season. The website says practice league is 4pm-9pm, is that pretty accurate? I don't get off until 4pm and I work in Evendale so its about a 45 minute drive to Dayton without traffic, then add rush hour ontop on that.

I have a Honda Shadow Aero (VT750C), though my buddy recently had me at a HD dealer for a bike night, and he really ruined me. I have as of this week started to save for a down payment on a Dyna Wide Glide. I really want one in "Black Denim." It will probably be a year or two before I get it though.

I have a Honda Shadow Aero (VT750C), though my buddy recently had me at a HD dealer for a bike night, and he really ruined me. I have as of this week started to save for a down payment on a Dyna Wide Glide. I really want one in "Black Denim." It will probably be a year or two before I get it though.

My buddy traded his Shadow in for a new HD. Now he can't figure out how to change the oil. Then again, it might not matter. Being an HD, you just add more as it leaks out.

(Right Paul??!! :devil: )

Check out the USPSA.org and IDPA.com sites and use their club finder function for clubs, directions and contact info.

They are pretty poorly kept up in my area, with the exception of Miamisburg Sportsman's and Miami Rifle pistol in USPSA, and Clinton County in IDPA.

Hey neighbor,

West Chester here. I am the USPSA match director at MRPC. I will be more than happy to give you any assistance you need or want. As a matter of fact every shooter I know personally would be willing to do the same. No "good old boys" allowed. :cheers: SW Ohio is a hotbed of USPSA shooting. Not so much for IDPA. You can shoot a match every weekend within a few hours drive and in some cases shoot both days on a weekend. Most of the local shooters can be found on any given weekend at one of the matches in the area. It's no mistake that we hold our matches on specific weekends. It maximizes opportunity!

1st Saturday- Circleville (PCSI) http://www.pcsirange.com/

1st Sunday- Oxford, Izaak Walton League 5703 Brown Rd, Oxford, OH 45056 Lexington, Ky (BGSL) http://www.bgslinc.com/

2nd Sunday- Silver Creek http://www.silvercreekcc.org/pp/USPSA.htm

3rd Sunday- Miamisburg http://miamisburgsportsmensclub.org/page11/page15/page15.html

4th Sunday- MRPC http://www.miamirifle-pistol.org/practical_pistol.php

Feel free to PM me or email me at sandfam7300@gmail.com

Welcome! Lots of good people on this board and lots of good shooting spots neat you. If you don't mind a little drive, head down to Lexington to the Bluegrass Sportmans League. We do IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and 3-gun! Check out www.bgslinc.com for our calendar. We would live to have you come down!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I had no Idea there was anyone doing any indoor USPSA around here. I think that would be great for me to get some practice before next season. The website says practice league is 4pm-9pm, is that pretty accurate? I don't get off until 4pm and I work in Evendale so its about a 45 minute drive to Dayton without traffic, then add rush hour ontop on that.

We do rolling squads so when we have enough people for a squad, they shoot.. If you're there by about 7 you'll be fine.

My buddy traded his Shadow in for a new HD. Now he can't figure out how to change the oil. Then again, it might not matter. Being an HD, you just add more as it leaks out.

(Right Paul??!! :devil: )

It's like a helicopter, if it doesn't leak don't fly it.

Thanks for the Info guys. I made a spreadsheet of the USPSA and IDPA matches to help me keep them straight. I was able to find some contact information for Izaak Walton league too. Although the IDPA contact says they dont have a website for IDPA; the USPSA contact sent me a link to a website they have set up just for USPSA at their Oxford location. http://www.oxfordpracticalshooters.com/ I think thats where I'll start since it is the closest one to me this weekend.

MRPC is a HECK of a range. Kevin puts on excellent matches and the turn out is always good. Sometimes that makes for a long day...but everyone I've met at MRPC and Miamisburg are super friendly and more than willing to help 'the new guys.'

Thanks for the Info guys. I made a spreadsheet of the USPSA and IDPA matches to help me keep them straight. I was able to find some contact information for Izaak Walton league too. Although the IDPA contact says they dont have a website for IDPA; the USPSA contact sent me a link to a website they have set up just for USPSA at their Oxford location. http://www.oxfordpracticalshooters.com/ I think thats where I'll start since it is the closest one to me this weekend.

Start fast.

Not all clubs shoot in the winter, some clubs do kind of a "If we can get into the range over the snow we will have a shoot" in the winter.

The guy running Oxford is Dave. He will probably be the one signing you in. Tell him that you are new. He has been doing this longer than me, I think only one other person in Ohio can say that, but I shoot quite a bit more.

Miamisburg Monday is a great place to start.

Come up to Circleville this Saturday and shoot with my team if you would like.

Start fast.

Not all clubs shoot in the winter, some clubs do kind of a "If we can get into the range over the snow we will have a shoot" in the winter.

The guy running Oxford is Dave. He will probably be the one signing you in. Tell him that you are new. He has been doing this longer than me, I think only one other person in Ohio can say that, but I shoot quite a bit more.

Miamisburg Monday is a great place to start.

Come up to Circleville this Saturday and shoot with my team if you would like.

You can't go wrong taking Bill Seevers up on his offer. He is one of the most helpful guys I have met in this game.