Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington primer problems?


Recommended Posts

Hi, all. I've been loading for a number of years now, and have loaded well up in five figures of cartridges. Nary an issue. I now seem to have a new problem. The last 2000 small pistol primers I used were Federal- 1000 standard, 1000 match. Never had a problem. Now I'm getting FTF's with my Springfield XD. It has a newish spring, the channel is clean and dry. I always look over each box of new reloads to see if any primers are a little high, so I don't think that's an issue. Today, for the first time, I got two FTF's with my S&W 65-3. It has a hammer mounted firing pin. Second strikes on those two failed to ignite, and they both had deep indents. I now find myself entering our competition season, and have about six boxes each of 9mm and 38 Special with these primers- I'm not sure which are Remington. Has anyone had a problem with Remington pistol primers? I don't have any other brands at hand right now, and I'm afraid to load any more now. Thoughts?

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen every primer fail. Do you have trigger jobs in those guns?

I have an extra power striker spring in the XD and, as I stated, the channel is quite clean and dry. The failures with the revolver make me more convinced that it's not the XD, or my reloads- I've done thousands with other primers without a hitch.

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncanny how this pops up a week after I bought 10K Remington Small Pistol primers.

Until now, I was tickled pink to get them.

Bill

I was just about to order some from midsouth shooters. Kinda glad I didn't. It could have just been a few bad lots though. Good luck with the loading. Please let us know how it goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncanny how this pops up a week after I bought 10K Remington Small Pistol primers.

Until now, I was tickled pink to get them.

Bill

Not just you. I bought 10k Winchester primers last month and the day I brought them home a similar Winchester thread popped up on another forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of Remington primers. I have had more misfires with this one brand than all others combined. Maybe I got a bad lot. A lot of people used to complain about the pmc lead free primers a couple years ago. They all worked 100% in my 9mm loads. The Remingtons would have misfires across several guns and loads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 years later...

I am reviving this old thread, because PV is having a sale on Remington SP.  

I have never used them before.  Only used WSP and CCI mostly. Don't want to invest $$$ into something that is much inferior. 

 

How are Remington SP compared to WSP or CCI in terms of hardness?  WSP is harder more friction using primer feed than CCI that is very smooth.  How about Remington?  How are the dimension uniformity with Remington primers?  WSP varies in size greatly from batch to batch, and CCI is very consistent. 

Edited by Dazhi
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

I am reviving this old thread, because PV is having a sale on Remington SP.  

I have never used them before.  Only used WSP and CCI mostly. Don't want to invest $$$ into something that is much inferior. 

 

How are Remington SP compared to WSP or CCI in terms of hardness?  WSP is harder more friction using primer feed than CCI that is very smooth.  How about Remington?  How are the dimension uniformity with Remington primers?  WSP varies in size greatly from batch to batch, and CCI is very consistent. 

 

The only primer I ever had trouble with were Remington SPP.  Could have been just a bad lot but I've never bought them again, even if on sale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BJB said:

 

The only primer I ever had trouble with were Remington SPP.  Could have been just a bad lot but I've never bought them again, even if on sale.

What kind of trouble did you have with Remington SPP?  Light strikes?  Too big to fit into the pocket?  Or just won't go bang?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

What kind of trouble did you have with Remington SPP?  Light strikes?  Too big to fit into the pocket?  Or just won't go bang?

The Remington primers loaded just fine, on a Dillon 550B.  No issues at all there.   

No light strikes but I had quite a few dead primers, 7 or 8 in the first 500 or so.  I re-struck them and no-go.  I re-struck them with my carry guns, multiple times in different guns and no-go.  I was just using them in practice, not a match, but it was bugging me enough that I gave all the remaining primers to a friend who reloads but doesn't compete and I gave the remaining loaded ammo that had these primers to some guys at work that shoot now & then but also don't compete. 

Like I mentioned though, my experience with them was just one batch or lot.  I had only bough a box of 1000.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BJB said:

  I had quite a few dead primers, 7 or 8 in the first 500 or so.  I re-struck them and no-go.  

 

One possibility is that you never extracted the fired primer from the brass, and continued

to reload it with powder and bullet.

 

Seemed like the "new" primer was dead, but it MIGHT have been the old dead primer that

stuck in the case.

 

Seems unlikely that 7/500 primers would be dead on arrival.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

One possibility is that you never extracted the fired primer from the brass, and continued

to reload it with powder and bullet.

 

Seemed like the "new" primer was dead, but it MIGHT have been the old dead primer that

stuck in the case.

 

Seems unlikely that 7/500 primers would be dead on arrival.

Nope.  That wasn't the case at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remington is going through bankruptcy. The company doesn't care, and the workers... wondering about their jobs... don't care either. Is anyone surprised that sub-performance products are hitting the dealers shelves? There is no serious quality control at Remington. I avoid anything they make.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...