Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tiger Valley / CavArms match report

Yeah, stage one should be tossed especially since we weren't allowed to check the score on the target.

At the match they had thrown out any un-hit target penalties in the first round of scoring.

The shooting was a blast! I just want to know how they did everything score-wise after everyone left.

Matt:

rejoice in the fact that VN gunfighter won! :D Like Picasso said " you got to draw the line somewhere". Sorry I wasn't there, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway as I am still shooting Iron sights. I know the feeling however, about not really knowing....can you say ITRC?? Robbed at one rewarded at another, it all balances out in the long run. See you at Mesa. KURT

overallresults.jpg

No, we are not throwing out Stage 1 (Matt would have still come in 3rd) and the penalties were applied equally. As I stated, this is as good as it's gonna get for this year.

Next year we will use standard scoring (no matter what we are told) ;)

Kurt, yeah Mesa should be a kick! Can't wait for that match! Take care bro! BTW email me your address if you would to matt@burkettvideo.com

Gary,

First of all, no match I have ever been to has ever had a stage where the shooters were not allowed to check their targets, then the staff scored and burned them. (And yes that would have changed the results - check the math if you want.)

Secondly, penalties were not applied in any consistent manner whatsoever so you can't say they were applied equally. I.E. stage 7 where I received an un-hit target penalty and 2 FTN's for 20 seconds. Double jepardy ring a bell?

Even if the above were corrected I would probably still be second by about .2 of a second. Jimmy shot a better match esp. on Stage 2 (which was thrown out). He all but handed my ass to me on that stage. On second thought he did! He shot a way more solid match than I did and he deserves first.

I understand this was the first match for the crew and I did have quite a good time except for the clay (which was really kind of funny although tiring) and the scoring. If there is another one, let me lend my experience with the system set-up (RO training etc.) so it will run smoother.

FYI it doesn't matter to me whether it was 1st or 3rd. What matters is that it was done right.

Take care,

Matt

No, we are not throwing out Stage 1 (Matt would have still come in 3rd)

The results with the improperly scored, unverified, surprise 300-yard stage discarded would look like this:

1. 318.29 Wakal, Alex

2. 324.24 Holdsworth, Jim

3. 335.21 Burkett, Matt

4. 340.04 Darst, James

5. 405.89 Powe, Bill

Not that I'm partial to the odd-looking (but obviously fast shooting) fellow there at first in the "corrected" scoring list ;)

Alex

Reference:

1-- 0329.34 Holdsworth, Jim-- 1st Open (-5)

2-- 0340.04 Darst, James-- 2nd Open (-0)

3-- 0350.21 Burkett, Matt-- 3rd Open (-15)

4-- 0373.29 Wakal, Alex-- 4th Open (-55)

5-- 0420.89 Powe, Bill-- 5th Open (-15)

Folks... Everyone but 4 shooters got to see their 300 yard Target (and unfortunatly Matt was one of them)...The rotation from the pits was that after you shot, you went to the pits, pulled your target and put up a new one... The last firing order only had 4 people and they did not have to go down into the pits.

As far as the scoring being FUBAR... yes, it was, but the way it worked out, a missed target was +20....seems kind of stiff, but wouldn't missing a hostile target possable carry a stiff penalty in real life?

The difference was we didn't actually SCORE the targets IN the pits. Of the four San Angelo shooters on the same rotation, NONE of us counted the same number of hits as were eventually "assigned" to us by someone else later. All the other targets over the course of the match were scored in front of us.

There is a difference.

Not that I care, particularly, but lets be honest here. The 300 yard targets were not scored in the presence of, nor were they verified by, the shooters.

Alex

I have to agree with Wakal on the scoring or lack of it in the pits. We were asked to just take a quick look at the targets, pull them down, write a name and shooter number on them and place them in a big pile. The urgency was to get the targets ready for the next squad. We were told these would be scored and available for review that evening and the next morning.

There was simply no way there was enough time to get an accurate count of your own score.

Not that it matters much overall, whether I was first or fifteenth is not really that important to me. My hope is that if this match continues on an annual basis, that the kinks get worked out. I would rather talk about how much fun it was and how much mud collected on my shoes than worry about rather the scores are close to being right and are the penalties assessed evenly across squads.

Gary,

Yes, I hope the kinks get worked out and I am able to shoot the match next year.

BTW, this is a game not real life. :-) I hope that in real life a shooter wouldn't do much of what we did in the match. I.E. Stand here and shoot those 13 targets without moving etc... :blink:

Take care,

Matt