Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a "subsonic" powder recommendation

IBSlingin

I recently purchased my first press. I mainly shoot 9mm suppressed from various hosts. I need help choosing a powder for my application. Alot of guys use VV N320 but I cant find it anywhere. Im also thinking about using a 147gr. plated bullet or a FMJ if I can find some for a decent price.

Thanks in advance.

For a silencer, Power Pistol is too loud. It just won't satisfy, and you paid $200 tax and waited for half year for the .gov permission slip to clear the office, so satisfaction is important. Solo 1000 works well in my silencers. Any fast powder tends to be quieter with muzzle cans. Clays might be worth a look. W231 seems too sooty for me to use it in my cans.

For a silencer, Power Pistol is too loud. It just won't satisfy, and you paid $200 tax and waited for half year for the .gov permission slip to clear the office, so satisfaction is important. Solo 1000 works well in my silencers. Any fast powder tends to be quieter with muzzle cans. Clays might be worth a look. W231 seems too sooty for me to use it in my cans.

I've done some work with silencers and loads and ben is right. For the quietest bullet use something heavy like 147 to 170 and a fast powder, the heavier the bullet the faster pressure builds so you end up using less powder.

Here's a example say you have a 147gr load with 4.5grs of power pistol so it's just under 1000fps you have to quit 4.5gr converted into gas after the bullet leaves the barrel. Now if you have a 168gr loaded with 2.8grs (I can't push it faster with aa2 safely) of aa#2 you have about half the gas to cool. It's not so much the speed once your under subsonic but the amount of powder your using and type. Also I would try to keep pressure on the higher end so you get a complete burn instead of using a powder that's to slow and leaves the can a mess. Now if you only have 147gr just pick a faster powder or if velocity is your goal pick the powder that gives you the best velocity with the least amount of powder.

Hope this helps. Dan

Edited by thompsoncustom

Thanks guys!!

I was able to get some N320 for my subsonic loads. Now I need to find some bullets. As far as plated bullets go, is there a certain brand(s) I should stick with? Or should I buy FMJ only? These loads are specifically for suppressed, range fun.

• 5 years later...

Rainier is out of business.  X-Treme and Berry's all work.  Honestly, in 9mm JHPs are about the same cost as plated, so I'd use them.

When you have trouble in the future finding 'pistol' powders, go to a store that sells shotshell reloading supplies and buy a shotshell powder.  Solo 1000 has already been recommended. e3 is another great one.  If you find you really like N320, buy Alliant Sport Pistol the next time.  Same-same at a better price AND it is great with poly coated bullets if you care to use them.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep it alive! Now I would check out Everglades fmjs and sport pistol or n320. Clean burning and billet prices worth looking at for fmjs vs coated.