Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun sucking away uspsa shooters?

Sandbagger123

Match Payouts are great, but only if you win. That said, at the 1/2 way point in the FN 3Gun I got at the very least the match fees back. The people above 25% probably shot and traveled essentially for free. Now compare that to a local USPSA match, there is none! But there shouldn't be. Compare it to the Section Match, again there should not be a comparison, Area match maybe, but even there we are generally talking a $100 vs a $300 match fee in round numbers and 300+ vs 200+ shooters with much less diversity amongst the group and therefore less attarctiveness to the sponsors. USPSA Nationals SHOULD have for the cost a prize tabl ethat is DEEP, last time I went it was OK, but not really very deep, $250 to shoot and a Surefire flashligt off the table. Very few guns. Part of the problem is that there are far fewer companies building far fewr accessories for pistol only than for 3-Gun.

Now all that said, a club 3 Gun vs.a club USPSA, unless it is my match that I really am supposed to be at and working, the club 3-gun will most likely win. Same for sections, areas and Nationals. There is just too much challenge and fun in 3 Gun vs Pistol only. Maybe it is the number of pistol only I've shot vs 3-gun, but the matches I remember best of the last 15 years are almost exclusively 3 Gun. Sure I remember some hightlights of others, but not with the same nostalgia as 3 Gun.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 Gun is not much more expensive than USPSA.

Used Glock 17: $400+

Used "Dissipator" with Chinese Red Dot: $600-800

Used Benelli M1 w/Nordic Tube and no modifications (What I actually shoot): $800

When you reload rifle ammunition, your cost for 5.56 is just a little bit more than 9mm.

You can be pretty light on rifle reloading equipment but you'll spend more time doing it.

I shoot as many USPSA majors as I can ea year. The matches that do pay, pay top 3 in each division and each class. Prize tables not so much. If guns are involved as prizes, who know who gets them I heard one match dir say its a drawing and we gave away like 10 or 11 guns, funny no one at that shooters meeting said they got one. Lol fishy na I wouldn't say anything too. Right? But we do have some State matches that are trophy only. I don't get that? But really I enjoy shooting so I'll shoot them, I don't like the no money part but I know it going in. I have been told it cost 10k to rent the range to shoot the State matches. I was like WOW? But I don't know I just shoot em. I wish the USPSA would / could do more for all things shooting 1,2,3 gun. Money is the key and money is tight for most of us.

I'm sure we all try to get more people to shoot, I know I do.

Edited by a matt

The shotgun is a red-headed stepchild in the "practical" sense IMO of course. Meaning it's use with a pistol AND a rifle on a single stage has always seemed a bit goofy >to me<...

I own and shoot all of the above but the "scatterblaster" is for food gathering and occasional round of sporting clays. Shooting practical pistol and rifle alone or together on a course of fire is where it's at.

I "guess" what I am trying to say is, in the purest practical sense, a rifle and pistol have real history together. We added the bird buster in that mix for reasons I am not overly enthusiastic about. So there :)

The shotgun is a red-headed stepchild in the "practical" sense IMO of course. Meaning it's use with a pistol AND a rifle on a single stage has always seemed a bit goofy >to me<...

I own and shoot all of the above but the "scatterblaster" is for food gathering and occasional round of sporting clays. Shooting practical pistol and rifle alone or together on a course of fire is where it's at.

I "guess" what I am trying to say is, in the purest practical sense, a rifle and pistol have real history together. We added the bird buster in that mix for reasons I am not overly enthusiastic about. So there :)

I would shoot a Rifle/Pistol match in a heartbeat and leave my shotgun at home all year long if it was an option.

I would shoot a Rifle/Pistol match in a heartbeat and leave my shotgun at home all year long if it was an option.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I'd go to a practical shotgun match way before i'd ever go to a practical rifle match.

Rifle does nothing for me. To each his own I guess.

I would shoot an all shotty match too, in a minute.

It's the combination of all three on a single course of fire that affects me as "impractical" and clumsy.

It is not for everyone. Jus sayin'

I'd go to a practical shotgun match way before i'd ever go to a practical rifle match.

I was really hoping Holidaysburg would put on a practical shotgun match! You guys knock it out of the park with everything else!

It's the combination of all three on a single course of fire that affects me as "impractical" and clumsy.

yea, i kinda miss the old 3 gun...where we ran one gun at a time. MG is fine for a few stages. wonder why 3GN hasn't changed to multigun nation.

And I would be excited to call it 4 gun and add precision bolt guns to the mix. More more more!

That would be fun, but I would have to buy a bolt rifle and more gear. I only own one scoped rifle, my CTR02. I enjoy multigun stages, I like shooting all three guns on stages, I just don't like to have to carry both long guns at the same time.

Hurley

1-Gun, 2-Gun, 3-Gun Fun.

A shot gun is acceptable on a stage with a rifle and pistol IF the stage is set up correctly. Well actually it all depends upon what you are looking for and what type of match you are shooting. Are the stages purely technical? Are they scenario based? Is thie match a (This word is REALLY over used) Tactical.

If the match is scenario based you could 'fight' your way to your shotgun with your pistol, then make it to your rifle. You could 'breech' a door with your shotgun, then run your rifle till it 'jams' (OK, our rifles don't jam, but let's us substitute a fixed number of rounds allowed at this point to simulate a jam or maybe we only have one magazine left, who knows or cares) and you have to switch to your pistol.

THis requires skills with all three, handling the transitions as well as the actual shooting.

We can also do as the FNH match did and allow the shooter to decide what they want to use by hanving targets that allow you to shoot paper with Rifle or Pistol and steel with Pistol or Shotgun and then throw in enough long range steel to make sure that everyone had to use their rilfe at least a few times.

Properly done is it is all good. Now mandating 4 hits to a target or some other fool thing just to raise the round count, that sucks.

My opinion, yours may vary, it'll be wrong, but it can vary.

your rifle till it 'jams' (OK, our rifles don't jam, but let's us substitute a fixed number of rounds allowed at this point to simulate a jam or maybe we only have one magazine left, who knows or cares)

Apparently mine does.

And I would be excited to call it 4 gun and add precision bolt guns to the mix. More more more!

I'd need to bring more guns to Raton? Hellooooo airline fees!!!!

No worries. Mike sayz "Honest Dan, it is sighted in just like you like it."

The prize table at 3 gun looks like walmart for shooters...morenguns more fun<br /><br />Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4<br /><br />

Yes they do. FNH 3 Gun Championship this past week. 148 guns to give away for all divisions. This pic is just the first two tables of Tac Optics. There were about 74 long guns there alone.

photo52_zpsb2df3196.jpg

That picture is a prize table at a 3 gun shoot? Wow. I've never seen anything like that. A huge thank you to the sponsors that made that happen.

Media Coverage goes a very long way in getting sponsors, a very long way

and 3gun Nation has done a excellent job of making a very watchable show and format for sponsors to be a part of

Hello USPSA

the excuse of nobody will watch people shooting a stage it is not good tv.......3gn has been able to take guys laying down and shooting 300-600 yard targets and make it work.

It is about the people that shoot it, what they are doing.

With cameras set up right a pistol stage can be exciting to watch, USPSA is just stuck in 1990's when it comes to advertising, promotions, and use of technology and they are getting passed up