Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Barrel Replacement

BigDave

I have an early model Benelli M1S90 Tactical (short barrel 18.5, pistol grip, ext. tube)back when HK was the importer (it has the HK stampings on it).  Anyway, I really don't want to have this barrel threaded for tubes (it has none now).  

Has anyone here replaced a Benelli barrel on a similar gun, and if so, with what?  I'm thinking of the 21" vent rib they have listed on the website for the M1 Field, but thats just a shot in the dark.

Thanks in advance.

Im not sure about fit, do all super 90`s take same bbl.?? But if anyone has info on where to purchase this bbl. ( I am considering same thing on early gun similar to yours ) at a price less than retail please reply.        Travis F.

Hi Big Dave,

All the M1S90 recievers are the same when it comes to barrel replacements. The 21" vent rib barrel is a great choice. I use the same length in Open and Limited, one ported with Optima, and the other with green fiber optic.

Benelli only has a 21" barrel listed for the M1, will this work?  Maybe they have one also under the Super Black Eagle?  I've even called Benelli on this before and their tech guys didn't seem to have a clue.

Big Dave,

I was looking to buy a 3G shotgun some time ago.  I called Beven for some advice.  He is very knowledgable and is more than willing to share information.

He even has a solution to the Benelli Thumb!

I went with a M1S90 field with 21in barrel and five chokes.  I put on a DMW extension and bolt handle from Speed Shooters International [another great group of folks]  I ended up cutting a couple of coils off the spring for a little smoother feeding.

The "Benelli Thumb" is caused by the aggressive push you have to do to load the mag tube and the shape of the lift gate, which tends to pinch or grab your thumb, when you try to pull your thumb back out of the reciever.

I have a two step program to fix this problem, first one is to modify the reciever where the shell enters the mag tube, and modifying the mag gate that controls the shells from coming out. These mods fix the "hard push" that is very common in loading Benelli's.

The second step is modifying the lift gate by filling in the U shaped notch and extending the length. This mod will keep your thumb from getting stuck in front of it. At the same time I also change the timing of the lift gate so you can load the mag tube even with the bolt slightly out of battery.

I have been working on several other mods in the trigger group, and bolt carrier also. I have several test guns now running .13 splits, 100%.

GG&G makes a replacement.I am waiting untill i decide if a longer barrel is worth it if you are shooting limited,because as it is now i can load the 8 max currently using 18 1/2 inch barrel and standard full length mag tube.