Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield P9 interchangeability.......

LakeshoreShooter

• 5 weeks later...

Hey there Lakeshoreshooter, I have recently bought and worked on four of my own P9's as of late including my open gun, and hopefully I can help you out a bit here. This is also only based on small frame compatibility as I have not tried parts from a large frame.

The exception would be mags, both small and large frames use the same mags, with that said they should both work in the P9. I have tried small frame mags and they work great, actually factory Tanfoglio mags work the best in all my P9's. I use CZ .40 mags in both my 9mm and .40 P9's and they work good just not nice and tight like the Tanfoglio ones.

Basically eerw said it right, because the P9 is an older small frame design there are some difference a sort of mix match. The two major differences are the hammer spur/main spring and the safety/detent.

The newer Tanfoglio's have a much smaller hammer spur and spring. Where the P9 has the longer setup that locks the spring holder piece in the base of the grip area. Tanfoglio's have also eliminated the mag plate inside the grip area, they have now beefed them up and addsed a metal foundation to protect the mainspring, hammer stut and grip screw holes.

As for the safety the P9 has a spring and detent externally on the inside of the safety padel, the frame also has the indented area for that detent to ride in. Tanfoglio's use a pinned in plunger that is part of the safety and there frames have a hart shape cut right into the safety hole.

Here is a list of the parts that I have found to be interchangable and the ones that are not. I do not know if the extractor will work as I have not removed any of mine yet. Hopefully others will correct me if I'm wrong or add in what I have left out.

Oh and all my P9 slide work on my EAA older Witness frame.

Yes-

Trigger

Trigger return spring

Trigger bar

Trigger pin

Plunger and spring

Sear, sear housing and spring

Hammer and pins

Disconnector

Mag release

Mags

Firing pin and spring

Grips and screws

Guild rod and spring

Slide catch

Rear sight

Small frame magwell (I am looking to buy one and that's what I have read)

NO-

Hammer spur

Main spring

Safety, detent and spring

Barrel (from the looks of it)

Front sight (P9's is fixed)

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy