Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The answer to Benelli slugs and pattern off from point of aim

kurtm

Hey all you East Coast guys! There is now a shop much closer to you than those crazy Left Coasters and Texans! Steve Rose of Rose action sports will have one in a few days! Now we just need someone in Main and we got the U.S. covered!!

Thanks Kurt!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally was able to run some Fiocchi 7/8oz low recoil slugs thru my Versa Max. I am highly dissapointed. From 15 yards on an IDPA cardboard target aiming center of target put every slug on the upper right side of the target in the shoulder.

Not sure how to correct this. Also at some point the mid bead departed the gun.

Using an LM choke with a Carbon Arms 10+1 mag tube.

These same slugs thru my Winchester pump are just a few inches high but centered using the same choke, Nordic 10+1 tube with Nordic clamp.

Edited by Willz

I would be hesitant to say as the Versa Max anchores the barrel differently than Benelli. You might check with Deric.k Hill at Triangle as he was adapting the gauge to the Versa. I dont know what he has found out. Of course you could always give it smack and report back if it worked or not, or whack the barrel

I had my Versa Max set at the CC position on the stock adjustment plate.

I've since put it at the BL setting giving 1/4 right cast to bring the pattern more to the left and 1 7/16 drop vs the 1 1/2 drop hoping to bring the pattern down a little.

I've yet to shoot it to see what effect these changes make. Hopefully this Friday morning.

Will it work with the rci tubes that replace the stock magazine tube and extension all in one piece?

Gondo,

I am working on a fixture that will align the RCI one-piece tubes to within .0005 of an inch parallel and perpindicular to barrel bore, so we should be able to get an RCI-tubed gun to shoot slugs good, as well... I will update when its complete, and first one is test fired

• 2 weeks later...

AmmoParks,

Take heed to Kurt's advise... his fixtures work, and are 100% effective... Take your shotty apart, an send the receiver and mag tube to Rose Action Sports, Triangle Shooting Sports, or one of the other shops that has a fixture... It will be well worth the $60-$75 bucks it costs to get it done and shipped. made a believer outta me

AmmoParks,

Take heed to Kurt's advise... his fixtures work, and are 100% effective... Take your shotty apart, an send the receiver and mag tube to Rose Action Sports, Triangle Shooting Sports, or one of the other shops that has a fixture... It will be well worth the $60-$75 bucks it costs to get it done and shipped. made a believer outta me

Thanks for that info. My Versa Max with a Carbon Arms tube patterns birdshot high and right and slugs at 15 yards are high right from POA approx 8 inches high and 12 inches right.

I was going to shoot it at the Versa Max shotgun challenge but after messing with stock adjustments and the dovetailed rear sight with little change in POI, I'm using my Win 1200 pump. It shoots exactly where I look.

Edited by Willz

Does a rifle slug leave the barrel spinning to the right like a bullet would ? and without adjustable sights DONE ? A little off topic:v) I'd like to ask? whats a acceptably group sizes for 50 yrds, 75 yrds and 100

If a clamp cured the problem I doubt anyone would have gone to the trouble to make a tool to fix it.

Acceptable group at 100 yards is 10"....but that is hardly ideal.

Make sure you get the rifled slugs with the extra fast twist lands or they won't stabilize past 50 yards or so. They are hard to fine, but once you do you will see that the lands "lay over" on the slug much further. You can usually find them in the barrel bearing and scope fluid section.