Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The answer to Benelli slugs and pattern off from point of aim

kurtm

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be handed to him tomorrow. I am also going to teach him how to use it, which means I am going to have to get hold of you so you will know as well :)

Edited by kurtm

Yes because im sure he wont pay attention or will forget lol. Im back at the shop now and will be doing all the shotgun and ar work once again. I was tied up at the refinery the past few months so the old man actually had to work lol.

I wonder if applying even pressure to the (crooked) tube would change anything? Drilling the barrel ring in say 3-4 spots, tapping the holes and adding set screws. Of course you'd have to make corresponding holes in the fore end to have access to the holes/screws.

I wonder if you could then tune it by adding pressure to one side or the other. Hmmm....

I may have given away the million dollar idea. (Okay, maybe less than a million). But my M2 shoots almost perfect and my R&D budget is about $12

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the concept DOES work on a Versa Max. I have built a tool that will work on it, and boy do they have some troubles. The unfortunate part is it is hard to tell if it is the barrel (see other posts on that) or the tube. I had to change a few minor things on the tool and the Versa Max factory tube was a bunch longer than the Benelli, but the ones I have tried showed the same symptoms only a much larger percentage. The down side is it only really helped 70% of the ones I tried the rest I can only chalk up to questionable barrels.

Right now I am trying to get Remington to respond as they expressed interest in it, so I am not going to sink a bunch of $ into them as they are WAY too expensive to make for free... Taran and Benny have their tools because they have heped me out a bunch and they are amigos, but to re-tool to make the Remington tool is going to cost.

The set screw idea is along the right track, and actually was tried back in the 90,s. The problem is that unless the tension the screws exert on the barrel ring is tied into the reciever all you are doing is puting a pressure point on the barrel ring and NOT the barrel, also you would have to redo the screw tension EVERY time you took it apart (even IF it worked) and you would be differential screwed if you had to take it apart durring a match to fix stuff. Great idea and at the right end of the trouble, but sadly doesn't work!

I've been following this thread for awhile & i'm interested to see how this turns out for the versa-max. I hope Remington jumps on board to help cover some of the tooling costs because I know they've had a lot of POA/POI issues in both models of the Versa-Max even though a good portion of their issues may be attributed to bad barrels. I personally have a V-Max Tactical that shot a foot high and right at 25 yards from the factory with or without the barrel clamp. I sent it back to Remington and they replaced the barrel (I chalked marked my original one so I know they changed it) and now i'm real satisfied with the POA/POI its pretty much dead on. If anyone on here is a welder, do you think when Remington welds the pistons onto the barrel that it causes the barrel to tweak and throw off the POA/POI?

GEEEEEE Dyno! the whole point of the tool/gauge I made was I made was to keep barrels form getting whacked on trees!!

I know you must have just skipped to the end so here is the reader's digest version just for you cause your an amigo.

The tool/Gauge fixes Benelli M2/M1 inpact problems WITHOUT doing anything to the barrel. It is a permanent fix! yes, you can take the gun apart and reassemble as often as you like and it will STILL be fixed. Can you change the point of impact by spiking your gun into a barrel real hard? YES! Can it be realigned? YES!

I learned how to curve the slug a long time ago! If you flinch hard enough you can impart a spin on the slug that will cause it's trajectory to arc, thus allowing you to shoot around various obstacles and props. A very helpful skill in modern 3 gun. Also looks hella cool on go pro.

But what about us poor saps that already have barrels that have been beaten on trees? Is there a way to put the genie back in the bottle?

Every time I hear of bending a barrel I think of a story someone told about the famous flintlock rifle builder Hershel House of Woodbury, KY.

Someone brought a gun to Hershel complaining about the barrel being bent. Hershel looks down the barrel, sticks it in the fork of a tree and starts tugging on it. The owner gets excited and yells at Hershel, "You’re going to bend it!" Hershel responds "#%@&... its already bent, I’m unbending it".

Like Kurt said bending a barrel for fix POI isn't the correct way, but it IS one way to fix it. Even though the mag tube is aluminum it still will impart tension on that steel barrel and will actually pull it plenty far enough to cause the problems talked about here. I'd even bet a fifth of fine bourbon that if one were to fabricate a jig to measure it with a dial indicator or two you could see it as you assemble the pieces.

Good work Kurt...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all you East Coast guys! There is now a shop much closer to you than those crazy Left Coasters and Texans! Steve Rose of Rose action sports will have one in a few days! Now we just need someone in Main and we got the U.S. covered!!