Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Putting the Family Dog to Sleep

twix

Aniline "Anna" was our two year old purebred German Shepherd, all black in color. A beautiful dog and very protective of her family. She slept on the foot of my 13 year old daughter's bed.

Yesterday I took Anna for a run, when we got back I didn't realize I didn't get the patio door closed all the way and she got away from me. Although I didn't see any of it, I think that my wife's two 6 month old Corgi's got out first and Anna went after them. The neighbor girl, about 6 years old, was out and Anna bit her, twice, although not badly or deeply the skin was punctured. I'm guessing she was probably protecting "her" puppies. It was horrible, the little girl screaming and scared out of her wits, me trying to round up the dogs before they got run over, a jogger goes by and one of the Corgi's and Anna are chasing her and I'm carrying the other Corgi and chasing all three while I'm yelling at the girl to stop running so I can get my dogs all in the middle of the street with me waving for a passing car to stop while I try to herd the dogs back across.

I tried to slip out with Anna very early this morning to put her down but my daughter woke up. It was about as heart-wrenching of a scene as you could imagine. She said goodbye but then was crying "No" and trying to stop me from taking her, her mom's pulling her into the house. Bad, bad.

I just started a new job this week, and I had to be on time this morning. I made it and thought I could tough it out. I couldn't and had to ask to go home. I hate that.

Mostly I hate telling my daughter how sorry I am. I hate that the neighbor girl got so scared of a dog that I don't think would normally hurt anything on purpose.- And I hate having to put down the dog.

I think priorities would be in order in this case. Simply spare the dog and move. I lost a dog to kidney failure recently and would have given my life savings to keep him alive. A dog is a better friend than a human could ever hope to be.

Hi Tom. My deepest sympathies, I've been there too.

When you own a large breed, and especially german shepherds, that once have bitten a child (although they don't really bite, they often grab a hold on the arm, if they bite that's 400 lb of force and the result is scary), it's though on neighborhood relations.

From that day and on you always have be axtra careful never letting anyone outside of the family get near the dog, beacuse of what might happen. Even when years has gone by, neighbors always remember that one time when it got ugly, no matter how calm and lovely your dog is.

Though call, but in the long run, you did the right thing.