Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Step from 686 SSR

When I shot IRC for the first time this year I basically did it with my IDPA gear in Classic Div. 686SSR 4" with Safarliand Speed Loaders. I'm contemplating stepping up my game for next year and I was given a chance to buy a used 6" 686 Competitor(http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766129_-1_775655_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

) for a decent price.

What barrel and model are most other classic shooters using?

-Euan

• 2 months later...

At our Club:

I am shooting a 4 Inch 64 and a 4 Inch 686 in Classic, and a 4 Inch 610 in Limited

Andrew is shooting a 3 Inch Willy Clapp GP100 in Classic, and a 5 Inch JM625 in Limited

Steve is shooting a 4 Inch GP100 in Classic

Chuck M. is shooting a 4 Inch 686SSR

Chuck D is shooting a 3" Willy Clapp GP100

Jeff is shooting a 4 Inch Model 19 in Classic, and a 6-1/2 Inch Model 25-2 in Limited

Bob shoots a 4 Inch 686 in Classic

Rod is shooting a 4 Inch 19 in Classic.

We have mostly 4 Inch revolvers in Classic the way it looks. Almost all of our shooters are shooting what they had before we decided to shoot ICORE. The couple of revolvers bought after we started were both Rugers, a 3 inch and a 4 inch.

Bob

Edited by VIPERONE

ICORE is the most accuracy intensive of the three common action handgun games (IDPA, USPSA, ICORE). It's awfully hard to shoot fast enough to make up a handful of Charlies, and even a few Bravos can sting you in a tight match. In Classic Division, a 6-inch gun does have a sighting advantage, as well as making PF with a bit less powder and producing less recoil. For me it gets on target a tad slower than a 4-inch... swings thriough targets smoother and stays on targets much better!... it's a real Alpha Machine.

I have shot IDPA SSR and some USPSA Revolver for 8 or 9 years, with a 4-inch gun. When I got into ICORE I obtained & tuned a 6-inch GP-100 and it has paid off handsomely. I now would not want to shoot ICORE with a 4-inch gun.

FL2943

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the club. If you have relatively shallow bays and more USPSA themed stages, and targets are mostly between 5 - 12 yards, the 4" does OK. I like the 6" for the farther targets, maybe it's a mental thing. I'm not man enough to shoot Far and Near with a 4" gun, but props to the folks that can do it.

The six inch barrel is great for increasing your accuracy with a longer sight radius, but the heavier barrel is slower to move around. That's why I love the 5" barrel on my 627. If you could get a 5" 686, (especially one with a mountain gun under lug profile) that might be the sweet spot!