Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot Thru's - Advantage or Disadvantage?

rmills

CoF 8. No threat target shall be located so that it can be hit by

shooting through another threat target.

Just sayin'

Dutch1911

1/*

Dutch,

That is the key. If I ran into a stage in a match with that happening, I would request that they drop that stage from the match.

Sandy Wylie

The LGB says on page 18: "Non-threat targets shall not be located so that they will be hit when threat targets are struck."

There was a state match a few years ago that was a complete procedural/no-shoot trap. :angry: I think that's why no-shoots are limited now.

Bill Nesbitt

In reference to the top part, I can see where a no shoot could be placed so that the shooter has to avoid shooting a threat target at a certain angle to prevent shooting through to a no shoot. As long as the stage is set up so that there are angles that do not cause a shoot through situation to a no shoot. The no threat then is not located where it WILL cause a shoot through but CAN if the shooter chooses to engage from an angle that will cause this. It would be up to the shoter to realize that they should not engage the threat target and cause the shoot through situation.

The LGB says on page 18: "Non-threat targets shall not be located so that they will be hit when threat targets are struck."

There was a state match a few years ago that was a complete procedural/no-shoot trap. :angry: I think that's why no-shoots are limited now.

Bill Nesbitt

In reference to the top part, I can see where a no shoot could be placed so that the shooter has to avoid shooting a threat target at a certain angle to prevent shooting through to a no shoot. As long as the stage is set up so that there are angles that do not cause a shoot through situation to a no shoot. The no threat then is not located where it WILL cause a shoot through but CAN if the shooter chooses to engage from an angle that will cause this. It would be up to the shoter to realize that they should not engage the threat target and cause the shoot through situation.

I like it when this happens. I makes you think and having to know where your bullets are going to go at all times! Sure you can shoot through and hit the NT from this spot but if you move to this spot your NT won't get hit when you shoot the bad guy!

IDPA Principles: IV. Provide shooters with practical and realistic courses of fire that simulate potentially lifethreatening encounters, or that tests skills required to survive life-threatening encounters.

Possible IDPA Defensive "Rationale" for lining up 2 or more threat targets...so you are only visible to one threat at a time. Basic principle even in Martial Arts, but because of the COF rules this defensive skill is rarely mimicked in IDPA.

http://www.haineskenpo.com/articles_mutiple.htm

5. Line up your attackers and avoid being surrounded. If you are surrounded, you must burst through the perimeter or you will be defeated. By keeping your attackers in a line, you are only fighting one attacker at a time.

Edited by Filishooter