Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gp100 covert to 8 shot

OUshooter

• 4 weeks later...

What is a Ruger 608 cylinder? Are you referring to a cylinder from the Taurus 608 8-shot revolver? The Taurus 608 is advertised as 'large frame" .357 revolver, probably similar in size to a SW627. It is highly unlikely that the 608 cylinder would fit the "medium frame" GP-100. In addition, the cylinder stop on the GP-100 is placed so the notches in the cylinder are between the chambers. If I remember correctly, the cylinder notches on the Taurus are right underneath the chambers, much like SW revolvers. If the cylinder and cylinder stop were somehow compatible, you would still have to modify the internal parts as well. Since Ruger doesn't sell an 8 shot double action revolver, I think your idea should be considered "mission impossible".

If your GP-100 has 4.2 inch barrel or less, get some Safariland Comp II or Comp III speedloaders, reload some .38 spl round nose ammo, and fire away in IDPA. On the other hand, you can get your GP-100 cylinder cut for moonclips (TK Custom), load up some .357 magnum round nose bullets, stick them in moonclips, and shoot USPSA revolver major power factor. Friends, fellow shooters,and onlookers alike will marvel at your ability to shoot a complete match with .357 magnums without developing a flinch or bloody hands.

Chris

8 shots in a GP100 or L frame (same dia cylinder) is no bueno. If they would let us shoot .327 mags it MIGHT be a workable deal, but by rule that's no bueno too. It would be a cinch to make PF even with a cut down case. :(

I'd be all over it as I have an L Frame and a GP100 to play with.

No. Even if it were possible, you'd be into that GP100 for well over $1200.

I've long thought Ruger could and should make a 7-round GP+.

What kinda revo do you want to shoot? A stock 4" GP100 with some action work is fine for IDPA SSR..