Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Lubrication

Nealio

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I thought I'd share the lubrication that I run in my Tanfoglios. I run Lubriplate SFL-1 and it has been by far the most superior lubricant I have used. And no its not some "magic" BS that some gun company made. It was designed to work on food machinery, which has similar operating environments to firearms (bearingless steel on steel contact, very hot temperatures, environments where there is a lot of contaminates/residue near the bearing surfaces). I read this article several years ago and it convinced me to give it a try, and honestly I can't imagine using oil ever again:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

For those who just want a summary:

SFL-1 is a synthetic based fluid lubricant with an aluminum based soap thickening agent which gives it a very wide operating temperature range and excellent . It doesn't burn off under high temperatures and has a very high film strength. I notice that Midway sells the "0" weight, but I prefer the 1 as it seems to last longer in the gun during the Idaho summer when its 105+ out. If you live in cooler climates, I think the SFL-0 would probably be ok.

I can usually get 1500-2000 rounds between cleaning/lubrication when I'm using the SFL-1. And since the SFL does not migrate to areas where there is not any contact, you don't get as much gunk stuck to the inside of your gun like you do with oil.

One of the best parts is that you can get a grease gun canister for around $11, and that should be several years worth for you, and 5 of your buddies.. :)

Data Sheet:

http://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/PDS/8_19_SFL-2_1_0_00.pdf

I run in this my shotgun as well. However it didn't work any better in my AR15, so I still just run CLP in that.

Hope this is helpful info for some of you.

I use Lubriplate too (but I use the SFL-0), which I apply with tiny crafts brushes I found at Walmart. They were cheap enough that I just throw them out if they get dirty. I mail ordered the Lubriplate off the internet, shipping was expensive compared to the price of the 14 oz can, but it looks like it will last for years. I like that it stays where I put it too- oil seems to run off the barrel locking lugs as soon as that area gets hot. I use a light (some guys might call it very light) coating on the barrel lugs, inside the barrel link (where the slide stop fits), around the outside of the barrel just back from the muzzle (where it contacts the slide), in the slide rails and below the slide rails on the flat bottom surface of the slide where the two prongs on the trigger bar touch the bottom of the slide (I hope that's clear). I also use a drop of CLP on the base of the cocked hammer (for the hammer/sear interface) and on the trigger plunger.

I plan to try benos' slide glide when this runs out, but I've used this for two years and it looks like it will last several more years.

I dont wait that long before cleanings. I've just been running hoppes elite oil and have had no problems with any of my pistols. Its thin and coats just right. Just curious, why do you wait so long before cleanings?

You have to meet Nealio to appreciate his Genius :roflol:

I dont wait that long before cleanings. I've just been running hoppes elite oil and have had no problems with any of my pistols. Its thin and coats just right. Just curious, why do you wait so long before cleanings?

You have to meet Nealio to appreciate his Genius :roflol:

I clean after every range trip, but I disagree that you have to meet the big hitters here on the forum to appreciate their genius.

I did a quick search for this stuff and it is not cheap. $130 - $160 for a 14oz tube........... That is about $10 an oz, which is twice as much as Slide Glide!!! Slide Glide works pretty awesome and I would find it hard to believe that Lubriplate SFL1 would work TWICE as good as Slide Glide.

The fact is that you will end up cleaning the gun loooooooooooong before a high quality grease like Slide Glide actually breaks down and stops working. So does it really matter if you are using a $5 per oz or $10 per oz grease? As long as the parts are lubricated while you are shooting it really does not matter which grease you are using.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I did a quick search for this stuff and it is not cheap. $130 - $160 for a 14oz tube........... That is about $10 an oz, which is twice as much as Slide Glide!!! Slide Glide works pretty awesome and I would find it hard to believe that Lubriplate SFL1 would work TWICE as good as Slide Glide.

Your "search fu" sucks

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379954/lubriplate-sfl-0-gun-grease-14-oz-can

I bought some Montana Grease from Sportsmans Warehouse and this stuff sucks. After about 3-400 rounds my gun starts to feel dry on the slide.

Ive felt Nealio's slide after his 1000 rounds and the slide is smooth as butter. Your looking at $1-$2 PER oz that lasts forever. I bought some empty makeup containers from Amazon and I'm splitting a tube with some friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using this stuff a few months ago. It is definitely an excellent lubricant.

I now use it on everything. Shotty, pistol, and AR.

Tossed in 5 bucks to Praetorian to get his fancy cosmetic bottle and 4 or 5 ounces of this stuff. Should easily last a year or two for my GF and I.