Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

drill to move fast

AlexOsensei

In observing top shooters while working a couple big matches in the last year, it seemed to me that most of them weren't really moving that fast, they just left immediately when they were done shooting (already leaning and starting to move as they engage the last target), and they start shooting immediately upon arriving at a new position, often before the trailing foot hits the ground.

for my drills, I set up 2 positions (varying positions and distances), and at the beep I shoot at least 2 targets from the first position, then run to the 2nd position and shoot 2-3 targets. I sometimes set the par time for the last target in the new position, sometimes set it for the first target. I try various things to see what is faster. Big steps, little steps, entering a position with a particular foot first, etc...

Basically put a piece of steel 15 to 25 yards downrange. I use a MGM auto-popper at 15 yards. The shooting area is basically behind a wall, or two sticks 8 to 10 feet apart, and you have to shoot from either side. Hit or miss, move to the other side and shoot again.

Start on one side, draw and fire one round, move the 3 yards to the other side and shoot again. Keep going until you have 10 hits. Develops speed, accuracy and endurance.

I have used it to compare leaving positions and entering positions, whether to break the grip or not, etc. I have placed the sticks as wide as 10 yards, and as narrow as 8 feet. Cheap and simple, but not easy. It is the 2nd drill I do at the range and the last before I leave.

they just left immediately when they were done shooting (already leaning and starting to move as they engage the last target), and they start shooting immediately upon arriving at a new position, often before the trailing foot hits the ground.

yes this is what I want to work on..

thx, I've done a drill using a barricade and 2 paper targets on either side to practice what Mike Seeklander calls "short movement into position" and one where you place shooting boxes 5 yards apart with a pair of targets at each and run to the first box, shoot the 2 targets, run to the 2nd box, shot the two targets & then run back to the 1st target & shoot the 2 again but I like the idea of using steel instead and the intermediate distance. I don't have resettable steel but I can use the Steel Challenge targets I have ... thx

they just left immediately when they were done shooting (already leaning and starting to move as they engage the last target), and they start shooting immediately upon arriving at a new position, often before the trailing foot hits the ground.

yes this is what I want to work on..

Ben stoeger has several drills and parts of drills in his dryfire book. the ones i do most often are based around a 3-target array. Sometimes I use plain old open targets, sometimes I dirty them up with no shoots or hardcover or vary the distances. set up a shooting box (i made some foldup boxes out of 1/2" pvc pipe and zip ties) and get a par time to draw and shoot each target twice (dryfire). Then add one second to that and draw, shoot each twice and see how far you can get from the box, in various directions. experiment with leaning and shifting your weight a little earlier and make sure you still keep the sights on target as you do that. Confirm with live fire that you are not leaving too early, before you are done shooting.

variation of that is instead of leaving the box, start a few feet outside the box (i do this with the gun already drawn), add 1/2 second or so to the par time and see if you can get into the box and shoot all 3 targets before the beep. try different distances and different directions. Again, use live-fire to confirm that you really are getting your sights on the first target, even tho you're still moving and may have 1 foot in the air. Alot of times in live fire I only use 2 targets, just to economize slightly on ammo, so I can do more repetitions.

from time to time, put the two drills together, start in one box, shoot 3, move to the other box, shoot 3. Change up the distances. If you shoot production or L10, try to get close to the same time but throw a reload in there. Especially practice reloads in different directions, paying attention to your muzzle, so it will be natural in a match and you won't lose time consciously worrying about your muzzle direction.

Those are what have been working for me, and helped me improve 10-15% in the last couple months against the top guys I shoot against.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there are some better or other drills I use to mix it up or practice a little differently.

Edited by motosapiens

Basically put a piece of steel 15 to 25 yards downrange. I use a MGM auto-popper at 15 yards. The shooting area is basically behind a wall, or two sticks 8 to 10 feet apart, and you have to shoot from either side. Hit or miss, move to the other side and shoot again.

Start on one side, draw and fire one round, move the 3 yards to the other side and shoot again. Keep going until you have 10 hits. Develops speed, accuracy and endurance.

I have used it to compare leaving positions and entering positions, whether to break the grip or not, etc. I have placed the sticks as wide as 10 yards, and as narrow as 8 feet. Cheap and simple, but not easy. It is the 2nd drill I do at the range and the last before I leave.

I just started doing something similar to this on our plate range with two 6 plate arrays. I do it from 10, 15, and 25 yards and run from the far side of one array to the far side of the other. I shoot one plate each time starting on the outside and working in and I keep going until all the plates are down. After shooting all 12 plates, I am wasted! Definitely makes me want to make every shot! I have to get in better shape!!!

here's one that works on long movement into/out of a position and shooting while moving.

Set up to two pairs of barrels 5-10 yds apart, far enough that you have to sprint to them. Set the barrel pairs about 8 ft apart from each other. Set up a pair of targets in front of each barrel set at whatever distance you want to practice shooting while moving ( for me that's usually about 3 feet :) ). Start the drill behind one set of barrels and on the timer draw & explode to a spot in front of the first set of barrels and as you get there you should begin shooting while moving laterally to the 2nd barrel with the goal of engaging both targets before you reach the second barrel. As soon as you are done shooting move around the backside of the barrel and sprint to the other set and shoot them the same way (you are now moving & shooting laterally in the opposite direction, then finish with another sprint back to the first array. Total is 12 shots/rep. If you shoot a magazine challenged division reload as required. You should not ever stop and stand & shoot on this drill. 3-5 reps and you'll wish you had taken up another sport like chess ...

If you take care to set up the drill the same every time you can really learn techniques for being more efficient, shooting earlier, leaving sooner, etc. It's a great macro drill to tie in a lot of techniques and doesn't take a lot of time to set up like a mini stage would.

ok.. today I carryed my cam to record me.. and I worked moving right/low/left and reverse.

I made a sort of accellerator drill, with a steel at the center... the barricade covered all the target ..

I watched the vids after I shooted.... and I have to work on the muscle of my legs to stay more low and to move low/up ..faster..

I tought to be fast..but was wrong..

ok.. today I carryed my cam to record me.. and I worked moving right/low/left and reverse.

I made a sort of accellerator drill, with a steel at the center... the barricade covered all the target ..

I watched the vids after I shooted.... and I have to work on the muscle of my legs to stay more low and to move low/up ..faster..

I tought to be fast..but was wrong..

So I take it you won't be buying any chickens to chase, then?

:goof:

just kidding....

You should post the video to YouTube, and then come back here to post a link, so that we can look at it and give you advice.

I'm a Super Senior Open shooter and I really need to work on my

speed between targets, some shooting on the move helps, but got

to be careful with mike's, etc. A lot of good info here, thanks.