Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308Winchester or 300Winchester?

keary

I am seriously considering purchasing a (Ruger) rifle in the near future.  I have narrowed it down to either a .308 or .300Winchester.  I am looking at doing some long range target shooting and might even hunt with it.  It goes without saying I will be loading my own ammunition.   Any suggestions?  Pros and cons?  Thanks.

Keary

The 300 Win SHORT Mag looks like it may be a performer, but I have had no first hand experience with it.

The old standby belted 300 Win Mag was a fine performer, and capable of taking any North American big game. It is also extremely accurate and flat shooting. Those are some of the pros. And the cons-  the brass costs considerably more, and the 300 mag takes around 30 more grains of powder in an average load. Also, the recoil factor just kinda smacks you in the forehead (literally). But I still love the 300 mag.

The 308 is probably the perfect all around rifle cartridge. Also extremely accurate, not bad recoil, and economical.

Brass is plentiful and cheap, and surplus ammo is everywhere. The logical choice for the budget minded shooter. It will take any big game you're likely to hunt in the lower 48.

Then there is the macho factor. Many of my non shooting friends in the early 80's went out and bought 300 Win mags after trying mine. Most of them bear semi circular scars over their right eyes from the sometimes brutal factory rounds. The 308 will never do everything that the 300 will do. But then, it will do ALMOST everything, more economically. Good luck!

You need to define target shooting in a bit more detail.  Are we talking competition or just shooting at a target?  Also what do you mean by long range?

The ruger rifle has never successfully broached into the competitive shooting world.  Winchester Model 70s and Remington Model 700s have ruled the roost as far as commonly available actions go.  I'd steer you toward the Model 70.

As far as catridges, the .308 has been and is currently used quite successfully at long range in the Palma match and at various other long distance matches.  Newer cartidges have supplanted it but it still performs.   Likewise, it's an ideal hunting round.  I would not get a .300 Mag unless you're really going to focus on long range shooting (past 800 yards).  It's more expensive and barrels burn out in half the time or less.  

I second the recommendation or the Rem 700 in .308.  There are many factory match loads which you can try and then try to duplicate with your handloads.  The Rem VS, LTR, or P will all shoot sub-moa out of the box.  The triggers are easily adjustable.  My load is 44.8 Varget under SMK 175 through my LTR

You need to take a look at the Savage 10FP.  Best kept secret in the market.  My 10FP shoots as good, 1 MOA at 200 m, if not better than the Rem or Win.  It is a tack driv'in dude and you can't beat the price!  The trigger sucks but now they offer the rifle with a Sharp Shooter trigger.

I've got a Rem 700 that I dearly love, but I have to admit that Savage makes a hell of a nice rifle - and for less money.  They have obviously have invested some serious dough into tooling, because you just can't argue with the accuracy owners are getting.  The new trigger fixes the Savage's one major deficiency.  It looks to have a similar trigger "safety" as Glock's.  It's time to admit there may be a better, cheaper mousetrap.

http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire/lawEnf/10fp.htm

SGDM

Know what you mean.  I am in the process of building a new rifle based loosely on a 700 Rem action.  Was going to put it into a Classic Remington stock I had lying around, but it will look better and I will have more pride of ownership when I put it into a McMillian stock.

I know that Savage rifles really shoot over the counter, but after you have had a couple of custom barrels from guys that REALLY know how to make a barrel, it will spoil you.

I know I will offend someone with this but there are 5 or 6 barrel makers that you can be proud to use: Hart, Krieger, Lilja, Wiseman, PacNor and a few more.  I have never had a bad barrel from any of these, and it the person who chambers your rifle knows their stuff, they will really shoot.  Not saying factory barrels won't shoot, but you run into the fact that if they spent the  additional $$ that one of the above makers gets for a tube, the price of the gun would go through the ceiling.

enjoy

tightloop,  LOL!!!

My dad has a savage .308 and I must admit it shoots!  It's not very shootable however.  The trigger sucks and the stock is cheesy and the bolt throw feels like opening a barn door.  Oh yeah and it's ugly.

My poor ole dad is more hooked up with hunting rifles than anyone else I know.   A .308 is far too plain jane for my dad, he tends towards the 6.5-284, .35 Whelen, 7 STW, and the good ole .270.  Likewise we Neals don't slum around too often with Remingtons, we like pre-64 model 70s

The Browning medallion is also a really good rifle, i own one in .300wm, shoots really good, the action is very smooth and it has a 26" barrel, you have to find the right combination of ammo and you will have very tiny groups

loop, it' cool. i like the looks of a great piece of walnut myself and i'm willing to live with soso groups if she looks good doing it. but them savage's are another thing,  my .223 shoots 1/2 moa with factory ammo. the same thing with a .308. and a buddy 300 win mag shoots in the 3's with his handloads. they may not look but they shoot and then they start to grow on you.

skeeter

can't beat that kind of performance.

I too enjoy a great piece of juglans regina, but I find myself going more toward synthetic just to stop worrying about hurting it when I take it to the field.  Had a super Champlain rifle in 7mm Mag, with an exhibition walnut stock done by Maurice Ottmar, shot into .75 with factory stuff, but sold it cause I was scared I would hurt that stock when I had it out.  Sometimes I cry thinking of letting that rifle go.

(Edited by tightloop at 12:07 pm on Jan. 30, 2003)