Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jrb06

XD-S Safety Recall

If you own an XD-S 45 or 9 there is a safety recall on them go to Springfield's web site for all of the details.

yeah I heard about that one. I hear it can go full auto or fire when loaded. But mine has been flawless. Should I send it and risk them messing it up?

I'm not going to bother with it. If I had a backup to carry that wasn't full-size, I might consider it. But, mine has been flawless as well.

I'm not going to bother with it. If I had a backup to carry that wasn't full-size, I might consider it. But, mine has been flawless as well.

Because of the recall I bought a glock 30 last week that I was looking at before I bought the xds. After a couple hours work with the 30 I am as fast on the draw and first shot, but my second and third shots are faster and more accurate.

If I ever get a response from SA and they send me the return authorization, I'll send it in. And when it comes back, it'll be for sale.

Give it time its a 200k gun recall I'd wait before you send it in until the rush dies down a little.

From their website:

Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.

Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.

I recently made contact with SA. The lady I talked to was not very helpful. I first asked what parts were affected in the recall. She said she did not know the list. I asked her the turn around on getting my gun back if I sent it in and she said it could be 2 weeks or up to 8 weeks. They were not sure of a time frame because they have never done this before. I am going to wait if I even send it in. I have not had any problems with the gun so far. I have several friends who own the .45 cal and they have not experienced any problems either.

Has anyone heard what part or parts are effected other then the grip safety?

SA was able to replicate the doubling that a consumer notified them about after many attempts, so they issued the voluntary recall. They have been swamped (overwhelmed is probably more descriptive) with calls from distributors, dealers, and consumers.

So is there some kind of serial number range or is it every one since day one?!?!?!?!?

KentG, the info is on the SA website. Enter your SN and it tells you whether or not you're affected.