Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone here running an SL 900?

I was just wondering if any of you guys that have Dillon SL 900 presses have had good luck with the high strength Winchester AA hulls. Mine loads the old compression formed AA hulls like a champ but eventually I will run out. I have a few of the newer hulls around and I was wondering if I will be able to load them or if I should just switch to the Remington STS hulls now and save myself the pain of even trying. Thanks

The AA HS hulls are a strange animal regardless of the press.

There are a couple of wads that load better than others. IIRC, I had good success with the DownRange wads - DRA12, TGT12 & Spolar.

There was one wad that would hang up and cause the hull to buckle.

• 2 weeks later...

Once you dial in an SL900 they are awesome. I only use AA hulls and winchester wads and they load and shoot great. Just make sure the hulls are in decent shape. I mentioned it before in another thread, one of the biggest bummers with setting up the machine is when you "accidentally" spill shot all of the floor. Ask me how I know. :(

Once you dial in an SL900 they are awesome. I only use AA hulls and winchester wads and they load and shoot great. Just make sure the hulls are in decent shape. I mentioned it before in another thread, one of the biggest bummers with setting up the machine is when you "accidentally" spill shot all of the floor. Ask me how I know. :(

Did someone forget to put the tube on the hopper before they poured in the shot?

Did someone forget to put the tube on the hopper before they poured in the shot?

Of course.

I have 2 SL-900's, one for 12 gauge and one for the sub gauges. Both perform like all the other Dillons I have. I settled on the Remington hulls, Gun Clubs and STS's. The first 1K of my GC's are on their seventh reload and will likely go a couple more. I load 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 shot with a Claybuster wad over 18.0 grains of Clays and Winchester 209 primers. Not a wimpy load. The Remington hulls are a straight forward load with no surprises and go bang every time.

Pat

• 1 year later...

Just started using my SL 900 recently, Due to low prices in the past I had a supply of 12ga, now that the days of $35 a case SG ammo are behind me, I am ramping up production of my own loads. So far I've dumped a bit of shot, had primers hang up allowing 20 grains of powder to filer into the workings of the machine, darn near ran the powder measure dry, had issues with the case feeder funnel meeting the drop tube, adjustment of the initial crimp die, adjustment of the final crimp, and the occasional shell not inserting into the shell plate.

Of all the issues above the only one I have net satisfactorily solved is the last. The shell plate is aligned, it indexes to the correct position. I think it is the shell hanging up just a little in the tube. It may be I try to go a smidge too fast and the shell isn't dropping all the way before I start to move.

All in all this is an easy machine to operate and makes great loads, it does take a thorough reading of the instructions and a basic understanding of how things work and interact.

I would buy again.

My next step is to make different loads for different guns and sports. Right now I am still getting in the groove so I load only 1-1/8 oz #8, I plan to drop this to 1 oz for trap and SC, but keep it for 3-Gun.

I run two Sl 900 presses. One in 12 and one in 20. The adapter that holds the 20 in the primer seating station is rubber and pushes over the spring. It comes off enough to be annoying. The priming system is the largest draw back to the machine. I have learned to watch the primer feed bar up at the primer tray to make sure it picks one up. Sometimes they miss the primer arm at the shell plate and you want to watch for the familiar feel of seating. I keep a little tray of spare primers near by. It is not as easy to feel as a metallic press, however it is easy to remove the hull and check. It is not a big problem to not have a hull in a station until you forget and still put a wad in the tilt out arm. A wad will activate the shot dropper with out a hull and then it is get out the shop vac time.

A lot of guys run a 20 gauge shot drop, wad seating tube in a 12 gauge set up. The smaller diameter is less like to catch on a less than perfect wad petal. The little draw backs to the press are still made up for by the case feeder and press speed. They make a good shell. You want to hold a small pause at the top of the stroke for the crimp.