Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip strength: interesting observations

38supPat

Cha-lee:

A question about the numbers you came up with. Is the implication that a shooter needs to have 150# of grip strength at the point of ignition to manage the recoil or that the shooter needs to have the capability to generate a max of at least 150# of grip strength so that he/she has enough sub maximal strength (~80%??) to handle the recoil?

Keep in mind-in no way am I questioning your numbers. But as a kinesiologist these are the types of questions that pop into my head.

Perhaps I should bring a dynamometer to the Vogel class I'm attending in May. The numbers may be enlightening.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying something like this for 20 years, but nobody believes me. Not so tight that it shakes but as tight as you can.

I also don't believe in short resets on the trigger, let your finger go as far forward as it wants to. Prep, Press, Release. If you take a click pen and click it as fast you can with only moving it just enough to click, then try it letting all the way out, you will instantly notice going faster and it being easier. The short reset crowd seems to think our bodies are mechanical, but they are bio-mechanical, which is different.

Let the flames begin

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

As I pick up a clicky pen at work and start to click it obnoxiously to test this theory.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on grip and seem to have come back to where I started. As a new USPSA shooter, but LEO for 16 years, I have been reading too much. For years, I always shot accurate and fast, still not at the level of a lot of the USPSA shooters, but compared to my LEO peers. I read articles on using more grip strength and my shooting regressed quite a bit. It was frustrating until I did drills with a very experienced competition shooter. Right away he noticed I was using too much strong hand grip and within 15 minutes my shooting increased dramatically. In my case, I competed in powerlifting for many years, deadlifted 700 pounds and use COC #2.5 for sets of 10-15 reps strong hand and about 5 reps week hand. I realized that due to my grip strength, loosening the grip considerably still provides more than enough for adequate control. This is probably a very individual thing depending on current grip strength, hand size, type of gun and experience. This forum really is the best around to work out shooting issues and get advice from some of the nest shooters around.