Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chuckie45 Performance Journal

Chuckie45

New goal: maintain performance journal as outlined in Bassam's with winning in mind.

2013090 2000-2020 at home.

Focus on reloads. Goal. Reload in 1.5 sec from sight picture to sight picture.

Solution. Turn wrist to face mag well more towards me to obtain a more smooth and consistent reload.

• 2 weeks later...

20130910 dry fire at home

Index drill at 10 yards. Goal: I perform this drill in .8 sec.

Success. i previously worked this drill for 3 weeks with a focus on my weak hand during this drill with goal: I have a consistent weak hand grip from the draw. Having achieved this goal I let that focus go and toyed to draw completely subconsciously. I broke trough my long standind par time of .9 to had success at .8 and succeeded at half of .7 sec.

New goal: I index dry at .7 and always under a second in live fire.

20130911. 30 min dry fire

Goals:

1) I can do the index drill in .7 sec.

2) I am an a class shooter

3) I am shooting alphas as I exit a position and as I enter a position.

Practice: Index drill - started at 1 sec and when down by tents to .7. Made 7/10 at .7

Box to box on the side (drill 21 in Steve's book) I set the boxes 20' apart. Focused on beginning movement while shooting and gaining sight picture before bolt feet plant in second box. I practiced "easy" exit and entrance. Began leaning at the buzzer and steped with out side leg first. Entered next box with inside leg first. I was faster and more comfortable going left to right. Par time left to right was 3.7. Par time right to left was 4.5.

New goals:

1) I am an A class shooter

2) I move efficiently through a COF

3) It's like me to perform well on classifiers

Where I am now:

C Class Limited 53.63%

Long Term Goals

1. Be a Limited and SS, Master and perform well at high level matches

2. Build my own guns

3. I have my own "back yard range"

Year Goals:

1. I am Limited A Class

2. I am 2014 Limited A Class Champion at TN Sectional

3. I am concistantly in the top 10% at local matches

4. I focus on performace measure, not score or time during competition

5. Build 2 2011 limited guns

6. I am concistantly posting A Class scores on classifiers

7. I regularly have Limited stage wins.

8. I call Shots.

Current Goals:

1. I perform like an A Class Limited Shooter

2. I Shoot well on the move.

3. I shoot into and out of static shooting positions

4. I am relaxed and confident on all match stages.

5. I call every shot.

6. my tranitions are fast and accurite

7. I practice 3-4 times a week

USPSA Match today at NTPS. Focus on positive reinforcement. Focus on techniec not score. I shot well. Not sure how well, never checked the scores. I'll find out when they post later in the week. Did have a magazine failure during the classifier. I've identified why and will fix before the next match.

Scores from saturday are in. I was concestant with a hit factor of about 5 for each stage except the classifier. Round turned vertical in the mag during reload and it took me too long to clear it. #99-42 HF 1.9... 20% Uggah. Note to self- clear the round before inserting the new mag. When I felt stressed I faked a yawn to help me relax. I need to develope a prestage program to increase concistancy.

Three stages heavily favored shooting on the move. I did this with success, but need to pick on the pace some and practice this more in live fire. This and shooting into and out of positions will be my primary focus this month.

On my best scoring stage I was 5th overall in Limited. It had a gun on barrel start with 3 barrels to choose from . I started at the right rear of the shooting area an shot the 2 targets on the right as I backed away toward the next shooting position. I shot immidiatly upon reaching the next static shooting position (partial target, 2 PPs, and a swinger on the left). I shot the next target on the way to the next position (illiminating a shooting position used by others). the last target array was shot thru a window. I engaged the PP (activator) then one more paper on the way to a dissapearing CS target. Cleaned that target will 2 "A"s in plenty of time and finishing the rest the targets in that direction. Then sweeping back to the right to finish.

I also clean a texas star with all hit staight down the left side. I was just standing there looking for another target on it. :surprise: o'yea, i should go shoot the rest of the stage, they are all down.

Current Goals:

1. I perform like an A Class Limited Shooter.

2. I shoot well on the move.

3. I shoot into and out of static shooting positions.

4. I am relaxed and confident on all match stages.

5. I call every shot.

6. my transition are fast and accurate.

7. I practice 3-4 times a week.

Dry fire: shooting on the move. Practices forward, backward, and lateral movement. Blank wall. Just practiced keeping the sights aligned while moving and squiring the trigger. Then did the America with a plate rack set up.

Observation. I have to walk really slow to keep my sights lined up.

Prestart mental program:

Initiate at "make ready command."

Unlock holster

Draw to index

Lock slide back

Insert mag and close slide

Confirm chambered round

Sight picture

Reverse draw to holster

While keeping hand on gun:

Fake yawn and relax

Look at first target

Think "see sight lift."

Assume starting position

BEEP!

Directive Affirmation Statement:

20140308: I am an "A" Class Shooter. I like the feeling of an excellent performance. I have earned a new limited gun. Other shooters look to me for advise. I am one step closer to being the TN A Class champion. I call every shot. My transitions are fast and accurate. I shoot well on the move and while entering and exiting a shooting position. I run a mental program before every draw. I am relaxed and confident on all stages. I practice 5-6 days a week. I repeat this statement for 21 days. I am an "A" Class Shooters.

Had to switch powders due to supply. I'm now using WST. Chronograph he'd today. I'm got a soft shooting load at 145 PF and the fasted load I chronoed was right at 165. I'll try the next larger charge at my next practice session.

I entered the Music City CupIII. I'll shoot an IDPA match next weekend to get my head wrapped back around the rule.

Watched vol 1-3 of Matt buckets training videos this week. Interesting information. He teaches to grab the gun from the side during to draw. I currently come down from the top with the palm of my hand. In vol 2 he uses a water bottle to teach basic shooting on the move. He also breaks the reload down into 3 steps. 1 drop mag and grab new mag, bring mag to mag well, and rnsert and drive out to sight picture. In vol 3 his discusses the fundamentals with Brian enos: find the target, align the sight. What stood out to me was you should ignor the wobble during target hold as it there is nothing you can do about it and transfer your focus to grip to execute the shot.

Shot the IDPA Match at MCTS today. I shot okay. Dropped to many points, but I think I'll have good overall finish.

Ammo performed well.

Weak hand shooting was shaky on the sight alinement, but I put them all on the paper.

10th/44 place overall finish at the above mentioned match. 2nd place ESP SS. I need to step up the accuracy. A "C" zone hit costs you more in IDPA. I'll put more time in on shooting around the lft side of cover.

USPSA match this Saturday. Goal is to shoot solid hits on the move. Get a solid "B" class classifier score and maintain an average hit factor of 5.5.

Edited by Chuckie45

Shot USPSA at NTPS this morning. Overall I had an improved hit factor with 3 stages above 6. Shooting on the move went well and I attribute the HF improvement on shooting the majority of the targets on the move.

Today for the last day for the Directive Affirmation as write above. In 9 days I'll write a new one. for now I need to rain in some stray shots.

My next match will be the Music City Cup III in three weeks. To prepare I will shoot groups for life fire. In dry fire I will work on pieing around cover with a focus on the left side.

• 2 weeks later...

I got 10th in limited and 20 over all out of 66 shooters last week. Yesterday I shot a local IDPA match and the classifier. I did the classifier in 118. Which keeps me in ESP SS. I got great hits in stage 3. Which was my previous weakness. I think I will easily make expert next time. I need to ensure I mentally rehurse each string every time.

During the match portion I had very few points down. So I meet my goal there.

Goal for the music city cup it to be effeicient on pieing the corner and to go 1 for 1 on steel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been slacking. I shot the IDPA classifier yesterday for practice. Finaly put up an ESP Expert score. Now I just need to pull it off for record. I'm not competing this month or next. instead, I'll be welcoming my 3rd child into the world.

I've got the Alabama USPSA Sectional penciled in for 15March and exspect to make B class at an April Classifier Match.

• 3 weeks later...

Read Ben Stoeger's new live fire book over the holidays. He takes an interesting aproach on some things, like he may push speed beyond what you can do acuratly then maintan that speed while working on acuracy. I took this aproach on some bill drills and doubles and found it effective in practice. It helps to understand and redefine your own personal limits. He also lays out split, draw, transition, and reload times as a standard for GM. Reviewing those has helped me to identify weaker areas to push in practice. Over all a good book of live fire drill and goals to assist in my training managment.

I'm building two swingers now. Should be ready to shoot this week end as soon and the pillow blocks arrive. This will be a nice target to see outside of match week ends.

Signed up for the Alabama Sectional in March. My goal is top 3 in Limited C class.

• 6 months later...

Signed up for the Alabama Sectional in March. My goal is top 3 in Limited C class.

Got 9th in Limited C Class. Shot well with the exception of my first stage. That one sucked. I was 63% on the match score, so it boosted my clasiffier %.

Ryan, Casey A82686 C Ltd MAJOR N N N N 968.8377 74.379 % 2 Stump, Michael TY77383 C Ltd MAJOR N N N N 901.3074 69.195 % 3 Henry, Chad Pen C Ltd MINOR N N N N 884.5715 67.910 % 4 Akers, Josh A80008 C Ltd MAJOR N N N N 879.4001 67.513 % 5 Gannaway, Brad L3444 C Ltd MAJOR N Y N N 872.9856 67.020 % 6 Wilson, Eric A78175 C Ltd MAJOR N N N N 856.1219 65.726 % 7 Benton, Sean A79101 C Ltd MAJOR N N N N 836.9157 64.251 % 8 Scott, Roger A50764 C Ltd MAJOR N N N N 831.5751 63.841 % 9 Ashcraft, Charles TY75443 C Ltd MAJOR N Y N N 830.5170 63.760 % 10 Patel, Rakshesh A75153 C Ltd MAJOR N N N N 826.5549 63.456 %

Just need a another 60% to move to B Class. I'm hoping to pull this off on Saturday with CM 03-10 (50y freestyle, 25y strong had, 15y weak hand). For this one I really need to focus on my sights and get my hits on the target. Mentally I need to care less so I don't get in my way.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...