Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun holster

czambesi

I have a safari land ALS that I like and want to use for 3gun. Originally on their site they offered it via special order. Went back and do not see it. They have no responded to my emails yet so I have to call them. For 3 gun does the holster have to cover from trigger guard to end of barrel? I have a in to in and a half of the front of the gun that sticks out the bottom. Is this holster legal for most events? I like the slight thumb retention it offers.

I know that my whole slide and frame stick out of the holster about an inch and nobody has ever said anything. If I could recommend anything, it's be to have a positive retention holster. I can't tell you how many people that I've seen go home because of dropping a gun while running. The added time it takes to get it out of the holster isn't really that much with a little practice.

+1 on the positive retention regardless of holster(ALS is really good). Had a buddy of mine go home from the Ft Benning 3 gun a couple of years ago because of his pistol coming out. We were at that time running non-retention holsters. That all changed after he got DQed. With the ALS you are not really giving up much if anything on the draw. What you gain is not dropping the gun even on a stage where you have to move around a lot.

I run the safariland ALS holster for when. I use my glock 34. For my 6in 2011 I use one of the gcode holsters with a hood. You push down on the lever and it springs the hood out of the way. Both are easy to use and I know the gun isn't coming out. I ran the ALS with the glock as I just didn't trust kydex for the sti with no retention. When I found the gcode I got one and love it as I shoot the sti better than the glock.

I just picked up the DSG Comp Series Holster for Glock 34/35. It doesn't have positive retention (unless I'm misunderstanding the term), but with the screw backed out most of the way it's still got a ton of retention. I've been dry firing with it, but haven't used it in a match. I'll let you know what I think.

I've been using a COM holster with my Open gun for years and it works great. Works so good I use it in pistol matches as well as 3 gun matches. It has an adjustable friction knob that lets me set the friction at the beginning of each stage, low friction if I draw first, higher friction if I have to run or transition from other guns. At max friction, the gun is almost impossible to remove and gives me a wedgie! You can get COM competition holsters made to order, just give them a call.

Doug

http://www.comholsters.com/

post-8887-0-40681500-1378666935_thumb.jp

Edited by Doug H.

• 4 weeks later...

i have the thumb drive and went to the blade tech DOH. the thumb drive just didn't seem to allow me to get a good grip and hit the button very well. no problems with the DOH, just crank it down a little more for retention. still faster than the thumb drive with a much better initial grip

I use a Blackhawk serpa for my Glock and one for my 1911. I modified them by making spacers to get them off of the belt and dropping them down for a better draw position. I modify the release so that it still has positive retention but releases sooner. I recently acquired an STI Eagle, Blackhawk doesn't make a Serpa to fit them, so I rounded the front of the triggerguard on the Eagle and did some work around the mouth of the holster with a dremel and a heat gun, now it works for a 1911 and a 2011. I really like the Serpas, it gives peace of mind when running or shooting my shotgun with my rifle slung, I don't worry about the pistol bouncing out or getting flipped out of the holster. With practice, the retention is a non issue on the draw.

Hurley

There are multiple kinds of ALS. The one I'm talking about doesn't have a hood, just a unlock button on the inside between belt and gun, where your thumb falls.

It doesn't make you apply force with your trigger finger like the serpa does, it doesn't lock on the trigger guard, it is a lot smoother and faster for me, and it costs about as much as a standard blade tech.

I'm liking my ALS enough that I'm just using it for USPSA now .
Just curious... Is it legal to keep the hood down for the draw in USPSA? This would be for production, I assume it would be legal anywhere a ghost holder could be used.

No. Retention features of a holster need to be engaged if present....

Check Chapter 5 for specific rule....

I dont want to get into a real argument about it, but I think its natively unsafe. Basically you are pressing your trigger finger down on a button as you draw the gun the pressure of your finger can land it on the trigger with some inertia.

We had someone do that. Lucky for everyone when he did land on the trigger, and put pressure on it, and fired it, his gun didn't quite clear the holster yet the bullet traveled through the holster and hit the ground next to his foot.

Turns out he is not the only person to have done that.

I dont want to get into a real argument about it, but I think its natively unsafe. Basically you are pressing your trigger finger down on a button as you draw the gun the pressure of your finger can land it on the trigger with some inertia.

We had someone do that. Lucky for everyone when he did land on the trigger, and put pressure on it, and fired it, his gun didn't quite clear the holster yet the bullet traveled through the holster and hit the ground next to his foot.

Turns out he is not the only person to have done that.

I don't want to argue either, I have read where people were scared of these holsters, but I have never had a scary moment with one. Maybe it is because I have modified mine so that my finger laying sideways (parallel to the bore of the gun) is enough to disengage the retention, I don't exert any force with the tip of my finger. As far as engaging the triggerguard, it catches on the front of the guard. My old Safariland 012 holster engaged the bottom of the triggerguard a lot closer to the trigger. I remember checking it several times to make sure it wouldn't touch the trigger of my gun before I started using it in Pistol matches.

Hurley

Well, its your choice and ultimetly your leg, so whatever makes you happy.

The argument I hear most is that people who use it correctly never have a problem. I won't argue, it is probably true. I just know that someone who's been at this game for longer then me, about 15 years, f'ed up pretty badly and he is not new at drawing a handgun. I also know he is not the only one.

If you feel comfortable with it, then carry on. I just don't.