Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

Please Dad, just a little selling and trading?

I've bought 4 or 5 stock magazine base pads (because I broke a S&W M&P base pads by letting an unloaded magazine hit the concrete and thought the Tanfo base pads might do the same) from members since I've been on this forum. I tried to sell 5 Beretta .40 caliber magazines on the Beretta subforum, but was slapped down for trying to sell other than on the classified forum. I enjoy this forum more than any other and I hope the moderators rule in our favor.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently had a virgin 9mm Stock III drop into my lap, so I decided to use it to illustrate the effect of parts and polishing. Here's factory:

Double Action:

_20150719_175649_zps6r4w1clz.jpg

Single Action:

_20150719_175615_zpsg6bpb6av.jpg

Then I installed the following parts:

From Eric's shop:

-Titan hammer

-XL firing pin

-Hammer spring (light)

-Firing pin spring (light)

-CGW reduced power trigger return spring for CZ

-CGW reduced power firing pin return spring for CZ (just right for plunger spring)

-CZ sear spring

-Limited Pro extended safety

-Fiber optic front sight

-old style wood grips

Double Action:

_20150719_175231_zpsiteeawvb.jpg

Single Action:

_20150719_175326_zps5i42b9e7.jpg

Today I tore it all down and did some polishing similar to what I did in my CZ tuning thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773

In addition I polished the guide rod and barrel which I'd never done before, but really smoothed the cycle of the slide. I'm sure I could get more aggressive with the polishing or used a lighter hammer spring with coils clipped, but 100% reliability was my primary goal. Here are the numbers:

Double Action:

_20150719_172758_zpsoxtdiaau.jpg

Single Action:

_20150719_173224_zpstmyifw3l.jpg

A little heavier than my Shadows, but it feels pretty great!

Edited by kneelingatlas

When you say you polished the guide rod and barrel, where on those parts and how do they help cycle better? Those are some nice trigger pull weights:-)

I noticed right out of the box you could feel the little ridges on the barrel and guide rod left by the lathe when you cycled the slide, so I polished them with increasing grit until I got a mirror finish with 2500 grit sand paper. The slide cycles like it's on ball bearings now :devil:

When you say you polished the guide rod and barrel, where on those parts and how do they help cycle better? Those are some nice trigger pull weights:-)

I noticed right out of the box you could feel the little ridges on the barrel and guide rod left by the lathe when you cycled the slide, so I polished them with increasing grit until I got a mirror finish with 2500 grit sand paper. The slide cycles like it's on ball bearings now :devil:

Hmmmmm, I've never thought polishing barrel. I've polished feed ramp and smoothed out barrel hood when I was having some feeding issues, guess now I got a reason to do more tinkering, lol:-)

Open post to the Tanfoglio Forum posters re: EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop

The Moderating team has come to a few final decisions, as promised and as per your request :

This issue of trading on the General Forums has come up before and was not sustainable, or able to work within the Forum guidelines. The trading and selling rules stand as written.

You have two options:

1. If you wish to continue with this thread and post items for trade or sale, the thread as a whole can be moved to the Classified Forum with a link to the Tanfoglio sub Forum. If you take this option, remember that anyone who follows the Classifieds can see and make offers, not just those with your special interests. Any complaints or misuse will cause the Moderators to close the thread.

2. The thread stays as it is on the General Forum. It is a very informative thread.

If you have any questions, please send me or any Moderator a PM.

Youngeyes

BE Forum Moderator

Fair enough; since there's so much here unrelated to buying/selling/trading, why not leave this one here and start a new thread in the classified forum: "EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop Buy/Sell/Trade"?

+1

Not so much that only we cam see the offers. I don't think anyone is worried about who buys or sells them the parts. Just that it is more of a niche market and there has been great success with posting here.

If we do move the entire thread to the classifieds, would the random information about projects and what not be an issue. It would seem with all the traffic it would almost need a sticky to not get lost. Of course if we get one then glock, cz, sig, and the other sub forums will want a slot too.

I also agree with Atlas leaving this thread as it stands and starting a new one in classifieds .We can always post a mention of a "wants" add in here.

All mention of a WTB,WTS or WTT an item, can only be in the Classifieds. If you want this thread is to stay here, it must be free of all mention of sales and trades. There can be no references to a classified post. Members would have to go to the classified thread to check for any new trade, WTB and WTS items.

Atlas,

I'm wanting to mount my new .22 conversion on my Limited pro frame. It has a Cmore and Henning magwell already mounted on it. I was thinking about modifying the mag so I could put a Henning competition base on it for some fast reloads. Have you tried this with your .22 mags or did you just modify the stock mag with no pad?

Edited by Big Nick

I found a simple, cheap and effective solution to several mag base challenges. I buy a sqaure (6x6 ?) or two of felt that is used to make skid pads for furniture. It has a pressure sensitive side with strong adhesive. I cut a strip slightly wider than the mag base and cut that into several appropriate lengths. You can find this material in most likely places including the "dollar" stores

Glue one to the outside of the base with a bit of overhang all round. Drill a hole to allow entry of the tool to remove the base and then trim carefully with an exacto blade. These last a lot time and can be refreshed easily. I've double up a few times with Gorilla glue between layers.

They are cheap enough to be called "free" and while not the prettiest, the take abuse from concrete range floors well..

^ I like that. I have some 1/4 in foam padding left over from a gun box I made. I think I'll do that. Build up a few layers once I get the pads to seat fully. Add 3 layers of that should work just fine till I get some more base pads.

^ I like that. I have some 1/4 in foam padding left over from a gun box I made. I think I'll do that. Build up a few layers once I get the pads to seat fully. Add 3 layers of that should work just fine till I get some more base pads.

The felt I get is around 1/4 inch thick and much tougher than foam. It's pretty high density but with enough flexibility to protect the base and still resist movement when you slam the mags in.

Another thing I have done is to get cheap serpentine belt at the auto store. They are about 1/4 too. I fitted those to a bunch of .45 ACP mag bases and then cut and shaped to fit with a coarse grinding/sanding disk. With a bit of practice, my new pads look like they were born there. Gorilla glue makes a perfect adhesive. I applied that and then clamped to cure before shaping with the disk.