Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been thinking about sticking the 3 port comp on my v12. Would basically make it a 'short' v8. And having the chamvers opened up a bit. Could be a good compromise between the longer regular v8s and the short and barky v12.

I got this 38 super from this forum as a solution to go major. The comp is kind of unique. I'm not an experienced open shooter and I've only put a few mags downrange with this gun but using Atlanta Arms major ammo and comparing to the 2011's I have (dawson and a trubor) this gun is markedly a flatter shooter (tho i haven't run a chrono yet to see how much power is being bled off yet by the barrel holes).

1435072654_zpsb54b3875.jpg

Edited by kernelofwisdom

I've never tried to go major on the 9mm v12's we have (we use them for minor and for outlaw matches) so this was a first attempt on the tanfoglio platform and I was surprised at the degree of difference. Of course the ammo isn't tuned but the trubor flips the most, the dawson is calmer but the v8 is decidedly flatter still. I haven't shot a 2011 with any barrel holes so I have no experience reference with what that might be like. Anyway, its the Indian over the arrow of course but with these guns I can see an equipment performance difference and the Indian would, I suppose, want the best arrow available!

Yes the diff between maj and minor with comped guns is night and day. I can understand the delima without loading. I made the move to load maj and wish I had jumped in deeper w a better press. If you have the space and live in an area you are allowed to load, you would be better off doing so. For the cost of a 1000 rounds maj you could have a decent set up to load 9 maj or 38 if you wanted. Single stage press suck for loading volume but it will teach you the basics and get you started. You could get a lee kit, primers powder and brass and be well under 400$ to your door. Read a ton on reloading page. Good powders for 9 maj are autocomp ,hs6, 3n38, 3n37, and thays just to name a few. I love 3n38 for super and 9. 3n38 may be too slow for 9maj n a v12. Get a chronograph and go from there. Or get a dillon and don't look back. I wish I had gotten a dillon. I would imagine that fellow shooters where you shoot matches shoot. If you asked them to help I'm sure someone would. Or there are a TON of how to videos online. Just start slow w 9 maj. If you are going 38 super maj the loads are tested and true so you really don't need to back up too much. I would go 10% less to start. Load up in .5g increments until you reach PF in your gun. There is a lot of good info here as well. If you have any questions about what to do ask. Don't feel dumb. It's better to ask a ton of questions then blow up a gun! Best of luck!

The chrono will tell you everything, if the same ammo makes major in a 2011 with no holes, it probably only make 155pf in your V8. I picked up some of those three port comps from EG and plan to build a long slide 9mm Open gun with three or four holes straight up.

Is there a difference between sm and LG frame sears? If not I have an lg frame old stock one. It's a take off but in good shape. It is an old one I think they changed the shape slightly in the last few years.

Edited by Open1215

Is there a difference between sm and LG frame sears? If not I have an lg frame old stock one. It's a take off but in good shape. It is an old one I think they changed the shape slightly in the last few years.

Paging Dr. Atlas

Paging Dr. Atlas
Lmfao. Just pm me of you are interested. Not looking to upset any mods.

I appreciate the advice on reloading. I've soaked a lot in here and I've got all the gear and have made a few rounds that were safely minor to get up to speed on the process and even chronoed 9mm stuff to see the effects of the v12 v. the "factory" ammo barrel.

I'm making some 38SC starting at 9 grains of 3n38 and moving up and will be out to test them soon.

I will say that Atlanta Arms has been an A+ vendor and a lifesaver for getting me going on 38 super comp. Looking forward to putting their stuff through the chrono and seeing what it does for each gun. The ammo I've gotten has been great and leaves me worrying about how I do with the gun rather than how the gun and ammo get along.

The chrono will tell you everything, if the same ammo makes major in a 2011 with no holes, it probably only make 155pf in your V8. I picked up some of those three port comps from EG and plan to build a long slide 9mm Open gun with three or four holes straight up.

Pretty good call - I chronoed a few different power rounds this morning and more or less the V8 was about 9PF less than the Dawson 2011. The Atlanta Arms major averaged out at 167.5 on the V8 and about 177 on the Dawson. My load needs a little more powder. Dialing in!