Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, and this may be the wrong thread for it, but - Can someone give me a quick lesson on the difference between "cone-fit" and (what seems to me to be the standard) thread-on compensators? Benefits and drawbacks of each?

Professor Atlas?

Cone barrels look like this:
limited_barrel.jpg

they come in the Limited, Stock I/II, and compact carry models

Straight barrels look like this:
6_inch_bbl_v3_1.png

they come in the rest of the pistols and could be considered "standard".

The cone lockup slides are cut so that the barrel is removed out the front of the slide, whereas the straight barrels are removed from the rear, so if a compensator is attached to a straight barrel it must be removed before removing the barrel from the slide, cone comps do not need to be removed as they fit out the front of the slide.

Cone comps look like this:
gold-custom-eric-compensator.jpg

and they screw onto a straight barrel with M15x0.75 threads to be used with a cone lockup slide.

The other type of compensator which could be called a "bull barrel" compensator for lack of a better term although not exactly analogous with a 2011 "bull barrel" comp and looks like this:

1291700.jpg

it installs on a barrel which protrudes out of a standard slide (threaded M15x0.75 for large frame and M14x0.75 for small frame). The guide rod also protrudes out of the slide and into the comp to keep it from turning, making it possible to run these comps without thread locker.

• 1 month later...

So say that I wanted to "build" an open Tanfo....I have a 40 cal Witness Elite Limited. Would I be able to just buy a 9mm Tanfo open upper, mount and optic and use my limited lower? If so, where would I buy JUST the Open Upper?

So say that I wanted to "build" an open Tanfo....I have a 40 cal Witness Elite Limited. Would I be able to just buy a 9mm Tanfo open upper, mount and optic and use my limited lower? If so, where would I buy JUST the Open Upper?

That's what I did with this one:

IMG_20160501_215607_zps4icyhtpy.jpg

I took a 9mm Limited, bolted on an optic, mag well, replaced the 4.75" cone barrel with a 6" straight barrel and factory three port cone comp, cut the barrel to length, threaded it, and modified the barrel like this:

Limited%20slide%20mods_zpshro7wlra.jpg

So it could be removed out the front of the slide. I also used metal epoxy to glue in the front sight, and long set screw, then ground it off and sanded it smooth for a clean look:

IMG_20160501_215017393_zpsrcmfizsj.jpg

As far as I know there's no where to buy a complete Open top end like this.

I did do the work myself. The slide has not been lightened or stroked and without any holes in the barrel it flips more than my main Tanfo, but it's still pretty decent.

_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.jpg

I'm planning to drill two more holes in this one for a total of five straight up, plus experiment with more stroke, buffers and maybe a dual recoil spring setup.

Oh yes, the Tanfo pictured above has 5.2" barrel with (3) 5/32" holes and chronos ~16 fps faster than my two 2011s (5.4" KKM barrel w/o holes and 5.4" Schumann w/ (2) 3/16" holes), all of which chrono 6-8% faster than a 5.25" V12 Tanfo.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

With four young kids, house projects, and running a construction company, my gun projects have taken a back seat for the past year or so, but I've been working with a production machine shop to develop some great comp options for CZs and Tanfoglios so I'll be posting some updates here ?

On a related note: EAA has really classed up their packaging:

IMG_20180315_201502117-2672x1503.thumb.jpg.26c3bf1a39ab0bcf3344ea60789a9480.jpg

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, ATLDave said:

OH!  That looks awesome!  What does one need to do to set up a gun with one of these?  

For the V12 Gold Team it's a direct replacement for the one port comp on the barrel without any holes, but for the Limited you need to get a straight 6" barrel, bevel the bottom edges, cut it to length and thread it M15X0.75, I'm going to try and line up an EAA distributor to do this work, stay tuned.

Thanks!  Based on the commentary from you and others about the excessive popple-holing in the Gold Team, I'd be more inclined to try this with a Limited.  Lacking a machine shop (or any relevant skills) of my own, having someone put out a turn-key solution would be fantastic.  

• 5 months later...

10mmSC.jpg

My 10mm Tanfoglio Semi-Compact. .38 Super frame, SA trigger, some Patriot Defense inner parts, extended ambidextrous safety, LPA adjustable green fibre-optic rear sight, Dawson Precision red fibre-optic front sight, and three 0.140" dia. ports cut into each side of the barrel along with the matching cuts in the slide. I milled off the stock front sight and milled in a dovetail for the EAA Match front sight. BTW, the dovetail is the same as a CZ-75 front dovetail other than the length of the cut. The slide is a replacement due to my ruining the original, but I think the black slide looks good and it negates any glare off the top.

This is the pistol I am carrying now.