Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? Kydex holster for a 5.4" 2011

I have a 2011 tactical dust cover 5.4" 9mm coming from Matt Cheely at some point and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a kydex holster that I could use in 3 gun? My other gun gets housed in a Blade-Teck DOH Ice holster.

Thanks Jeff

For 3 gun +1 on the gcode holster. They offer one with a hood that you basically push down in a lever and the hood springs forward. If its a stand and draw leave the hood forward. If your moving a lot going. Prone etc put the hood up an don't worry about. The pistol coming out when you don't want it to

For 3 gun +1 on the gcode holster. They offer one with a hood that you basically push down in a lever and the hood springs forward. If its a stand and draw leave the hood forward. If your moving a lot going. Prone etc put the hood up an don't worry about. The pistol coming out when you don't want it to

G Code XST looks interesting but it also looks like it might be more difficult to get a fast grip on the gun even with the hood in the up position. Seems like your thumb would have to wait till the gun is already coming out of the holster before a full firm grip can be had on the pistol. Any thoughts?

Jeff

G Code XST looks interesting but it also looks like it might be more difficult to get a fast grip on the gun even with the hood in the up position. Seems like your thumb would have to wait till the gun is already coming out of the holster before a full firm grip can be had on the pistol. Any thoughts?

Jeff

Never had a problem with it. I run a safariland 6004 holster for a duty rig which is basically the same type of holster/hood but not spring loaded for the past 15 so I have a fair about of use with it.

You are getting a full grip with your palm and all four fingers prior to the upstroke of the draw. Your thumb is on the hood or outside of the holster and as the gun comes out your thumb indexes to its natural position on the safety.

Jeff

Never had a problem with it. I run a safariland 6004 holster for a duty rig which is basically the same type of holster/hood but not spring loaded for the past 15 so I have a fair about of use with it.

You are getting a full grip with your palm and all four fingers prior to the upstroke of the draw. Your thumb is on the hood or outside of the holster and as the gun comes out your thumb indexes to its natural position on the safety.

Any idea if this holster could be mounted to a Safariland QLS plate?

J

Jeff

Any idea if this holster could be mounted to a Safariland QLS plate?

J

No it won't fit straight up. You could maybe make it work with kydex and creative thought but that's with cutting and adding.

I went with their RTI system which allows removal of the holster from the belt hanger, similar to the QLS.

• 2 months later...

I also use a 6" bladetech WRS with my 5.4

Does the thumb button interfer with a normal draw if you don't have the hood engaged? Did you have to change your draw to get used to this holster vs a normal dropped and offset holster?

Thanks Jeff

I don't feel like it was as fast as my DOH, or even close to my Race Master. That being said it is not a huge change as far as draw goes. The thumb release does not bother me when the hood is down. Well worth the slight extra draw time on natural terrain matches when you have to run with the pistol holstered.