Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best resize die for brass shot with a glock

RussellJohnson

You can use regular dies from Dillon, Redding, RCBS, etc. However, there is this special die called a push-through body-sizing die that you should use to pre-size all of your .40 brass before you run it through your progressive press. The Redding GRX is the best one. It's what I use, and it is a quick and easy way to body size .40 brass. It removes Glock bulge, Schumen AET fluting marks, etc. with ease. The carbide Redding GRX is the best investment anyone loading .40 can make. Just get a cheap single stage press, and install it on that.

Edited by lucky #7

Personally, I prefer the Lee Bulge Buster kit and the .40S&W FCD for removing the bulge.

The main thing is: load with what you have and see if you have a problem.

Dillon sizing dies that I have used simply don't size down far enough. I far prefer Hornady or Lee sizing dies.

You can use regular dies from Dillon, Redding, RCBS, etc. However, there is this special die called a push-through body-sizing die that you should use to pre-size all of your .40 brass before you run it through your progressive press. The Redding GRX is the best one. It's what I use, and it is a quick and easy way to body size .40 brass. It removes Glock bulge, Schumen AET fluting marks, etc. with ease. The carbide Redding GRX is the best investment anyone loading .40 can make. Just get a cheap single stage press, and install it on that.

This exactly what I was going to post.

What are you shooting it out of? My .40 Glocks take a bigger overall diameter than my STI does. All of my loaded cartridges without going through my LBB will fit my Glocks. All cases below .427" at the base will fit my STI. I run them all through the LBB and everything chambers in my STI because it, the LBB, takes the base of the case down to below .424" which is the SAAMI max for case diameter.

If you push them all through a Redding GR-x push thru die, you won't need to case gauge them at all.

I sit behind a single stage press with a GR-x in it and run a couple 1000 through it in an evening and I'm set for a while. Well, that was back when I was shooting forty limited.

If you push them all through a Redding GR-x push thru die, you won't need to case gauge them at all.

I sit behind a single stage press with a GR-x in it and run a couple 1000 through it in an evening and I'm set for a while. Well, that was back when I was shooting forty limited.

This. "Pre process" them all through the GRX, then just the standard Dillon die in the 550b.

This. "Pre process" them all through the GRX, then just the standard Dillon die in the 550b.

Yep...and be sure to lube them before pushing them through the GR-x.

I have an older gen 3. The rcbs dies wouldn't size the cases enough to run in my XD or M&P. I had to use the EGW die to size them down enough. The newer glocks have tighter chambers from what I have read. It is a real issue. Depending on what gun the brass has been run through. Some of my brass is once fired glock brass from ten years ago. I put in a storm lake barrel and ran all my brass through the EGW die so I am good to go. Other brands of dies might size more than my particular set, but maybe not.

I have a Schuemann barrel in my 2011 gun and my son has an Edge. We both use Dillon dies and do not have a very high rate of failure using a Dillon case checker. Most of the failed rounds are used in practice. One advantage of using a small push through die might be holding more in your mag. Top Gun Supply had a nice die that was locally produced for sale.

All the brass I use is 1x fired from .40 Glocks. I have an EGW U-die and it works great. Any rounds that cause jams are usually from bullets out of spec in some way. I do notice that I start to get case splits once the brass hits the 4-5x loaded mark. I usually load the brass a max of 2-3 more times than chuck them.

I just started using a U die.. and I really like it a lot I have hardly any issues with bulged brass with it..

So what are the problems you say it creates? :)

Two major problems..

1)It undersizes the brass so much that the brass gets stock to the case mouth expander greatly stiffening the press and makeing it to more prone to powder spilling..

2)when you over undersize as much as the u die does, the bullet is more likely to seat crooked seance more pressure is put on the case, and the coke bottle shape along along with difference in wall thickness is more likely to give. Combine this with lead bullets and tight match chamber, and you have a much larger number of rounds that will fail to chamber check..

My resizing die now is just a dillon that was sanded down to the carbide.. (Think I threw away my u-die)

I have no Glock bludgeon issue.

For match ammo I do use the Grx die sense I do find it reduces my Standard diviation..

i use lee bulger buster for my '''abused/glock'ed ''' 40's cases .it goes deep down in the case.

however '''too deep'' too often may induce case weakness at the ''unsupported'' part of the case where glocks create a buldge .although it can be seen after many reloads only. such buldges preventing a round from loading in a more tighter chamber isn't the norm.