Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for some Bianchi revo stuff....

DougCarden

post-580-0-42755100-1381109503_thumb.jpg

Well, here she is.....

This gun started as a Bianchi metallic gun when I bought it 15 years ago. I then made it into an ICORE gun, and then a pin gun.

It is a 7 shot l frame moon clipped L frame. I went down to have my friend Warren Moore supervise and advise my build. He provided the Walter blank barrel and aluminum comp. We went through the gun and when we were done the trigger was down to 6lbs with the hammer mounted firing pin and smooth!

After the Region X match at Bates City on Saturday we sighted it in out to 50 yards with the help of a few friends.

With the ammo I have loaded now....5.2gr Tightgroup with a Zero 125JHP .357 it has no problem putting 6 rounds in the 4 in x ring at 50 yards, period, even with me shooting it. I got three rounds to touch but got in a hurry and blew the group out to 3 inches....Rookie...LOL

I am going to experiment with a little more powder to see if that helps, and work up loads with 320 and 340 and see if that helps as well. I have a load with WST to try but I am waiting on 16 lbs right now....none around. The gun is more accurate than I, and I look forward to putting it through it's paces....

I would like to thank Warren for his assistance, guidance, and most importantly his friendship in this endeavor. His machine work is second to none, and his advice saved me a lot of time and money!

Next year will be fun.

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

How did you hit anything at the Show Me cup. Too danged cold. I am trying 6.0 gr. of Silhouette (Ramshot) with the 125 gr. bullet. Seems too shoot well (hard to tell using my shooting skills), very clean burn that doesn't gunk up the comp and soft shooting. Don't have a chrono so don't know the PF but on paper it should work.

I haven't been able to get anything loaded, too busy on other calibers. I am going to bump up the TG load up to 1050FPS and group that. I am also going to work up a load with 320 and 340. 340 shoots the best in 9 and 38 super that I can't imagine it won't shoot well in the 38 special as well......I will update when time allows......

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I made it to the range to chrono yesterday. It was overcast, but I got it done.
The two loads I ended up with were the 5.2 WST, and the 6.5 VV 340. Both loads shot under 1.5 inches in the clusters.

I loaded up a 100 of each load and will go shoot groups and see which one is more consistent. I am of the opinion that VV 340 is the ultimate accuracy powder....It shoots really well in every caliber I have tried.

I will post some photos of groups when I can.

DougC

post-580-0-98955200-1383482638_thumb.jpg

Ok, here was the first groups from the test ammo. They prompted me to load up some test ammo. I increased the crimp and here are groups from the next bath with more crimp.

post-580-0-19870600-1383481947_thumb.jpg

I would love some input.

I will call and claim the high and low shots, and I remember doing them...ARGH!

As my groups were better with less crimp on the first two groups I am thinking to go back on the crimp and increase the powder a little bit....

Thanks as always....

DougC

Doug,

I had some success with 138gr Wadcutter and Clays, another guy I shoot with got his best score ever with this load combination. I don't recall where you can get the projectiles in the US, but the load was 3.0gr to 3.2gr with the bullet just above flush. The mould is a magma, with a coating like what BBI use they don't foul enough to panic over them. Just make sure they are firm to hard cast, nothing softer than Lyman #2.

I have also had great accuracy out of the Zero 125gr JHP with 4.0gr Clays, depending on barrel length they just get past 1000fps.

Hi Richard, thanks for the info. I wish I could find some CLAYS right now.....

I am close, I just need to get the deal sealed....pretty sure I will need to bump up the load some more. Gonna load some more ammo today and try.

DougC

Doug,

I had some success with 138gr Wadcutter and Clays, another guy I shoot with got his best score ever with this load combination. I don't recall where you can get the projectiles in the US, but the load was 3.0gr to 3.2gr with the bullet just above flush. The mould is a magma, with a coating like what BBI use they don't foul enough to panic over them. Just make sure they are firm to hard cast, nothing softer than Lyman #2.

I have also had great accuracy out of the Zero 125gr JHP with 4.0gr Clays, depending on barrel length they just get past 1000fps.

http://www.bayoubullets.net/38_357.html

That is them, the coating I believe is out of Australia. There are a few variations on teh same theme for the coating, but essentially they all work pretty damn good. If you gun hates one try another.

The only guy to shoot a 1920 with a revolver here used to use them with the gold coating on them, watching him shoot barricades was boring after the first 6 rounds. He just dug a hole to aim at for the next string. After that he might as well put them over the top.

Doug, Well, it's been quite a while since I was on here. Welcome to the dark side.....revo's at the Cup. FWIW I shoot a 148 gr. Zero DEWC with W231, this year I was running them right about 890fps, but plan on backing that off for 2014. My gun is a K frame, so I try to stay away from Jacketed bullets. If I do my part the gun will keep them all in the black at 50.

Doug,

http://www.bayoubullets.net/38_357.html

3.5gns Clays with the 138 should give you a solid 127 to 131 of. Seat them so that the front shoulder / ledge is about 30 thou out of the case, apply a roll crimp and you should be good to go. You could drop back a tenth to soften the felt recoil, but the impulse is sharp and short.

Hey Guys.

I have to add my .o2 cents worth.

I am shooting a S/W 681-C-1 custom built in the early 90's.

It is awesome to shoot, heavy as heck, but can shoot the eye out of a fly at 50yards, if you do 1 major thing.

All testing needs to be done from a bagged rest or better. if the gun moves you will never know for sure what it can do. ( not what you can do ) these are 2 different things.

My 681, with 5.2WST / Lapua Brass / 125grn Zero hollow point, case / bullet set half in the canular and a slight crimp, nothing major, makes 1020 to 1080fps. this load will shoot ( bagged and rested ) less than 1/2" at 50yards, no S!@#. no I am not saying I can do that free holding, but I know for sure that the gun can do it. That is all that matters, the gun can do it and the load.

If this all comes to, at a match, ( it has not yet ) I could shoot pretty good.

The last part of this is to test shoots on targets ( with the gun set up for the match and loads ) at 5yrds and through to 50yrds at 5 yrd increments, this will tell you what elevation at what distance you need to be shooting.

My 681 shoots 1 1/4" high at 50yrds, 1 1/4" high at 10 yrds, from 20yrds to 35 it shoots point of aim.

I have spent at least 3 years trying to get an handle on this Revolver, I have had a lot of help from some great guys at my club, and you guys have all helped me just from reading your posts. I still don't have enough of a clue yet to be where I want to be, but I'm trying.

I have tried almost every powder out there, the all have good results, the best came from VihtaVuori 3N37, it was the closest to Win 540, which was the closest to Win 453AA, I used all these powders in my 9mm High Power, and my P9 9x21, I used to load a lot of 12gauge for Trap, that's were the 452AA came from. But they all work great. The VV is very costly and some times hard to get up here, but the WST is easy to come by and does not bust the bank.

With all this babbling, the point is the only real way to know for sure were the gun shoots ( any gun ) is to bag it or use some kind of rest, in needs to be as stable as possible, once that's done the rest is up to us. If the gun shoots great and we don't it's not the fault of the tool, it's tool behind the gun.

One last comment I love the flames, nothing like position sensitive powder.

Be Good, shoot lot of X's

Russell, the Pink Man

Edited by JRB