Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need info on Para P16/40 Dawson Jarrett please.

Merkava

Hello, just joined the forum. I just got a Para P16/40 Limited with "Dawson Jarrett" engraved on the slide. It was at a local pawn shop and I traded a rifle for it. It seems to be highly customized, but I am not sure who did it. I am no expert on 1911's even though I have a Colt Combat Elite and a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. I just wanted something different in .40S&W (easy to get caliber out here in the sticks). Anyway, I shot it yesterday and it was great! Fantastic trigger and smooth action. Unfortunately, it came with one 10rd magazine (pre 2004). I would like to get a few more magazines, but all I can find are a few MecGar mags listed. Not a competition shooter, so I am not sure about all modifications. I will try to call Para Ordnance tomorrow to see if I can get any info or magazines. Thanks for any info.

Sorry cannot post a picture yet.

Has an ICE magwell, Caspian "diamond" adjustable rear sight, Dawson front fiber optic sight, Made in Canada.

Good Luck on the Mags. Very hard to come by. Para 16-40s are sweet shooters. at least the ones I had were. Good luck and this should actually get posted in the "1911 Style" Section.

Call Para and see when mags will be available.

Good Luck on the Mags. Very hard to come by. Para 16-40s are sweet shooters. at least the ones I had were. Good luck and this should actually get posted in the "1911 Style" Section.

Call Para and see when mags will be available.

This should be posted in the 1911 style section?

I understand your reasoning, but then why does this forum have a "Para" section?

Para is currently redesigning their p16 mags. Try posting a want to buy add in the classifieds and you might get lucky on the mags.Nice pistol you have, post some pics if you can. I also have a P16 and love it.I prefer the steel frame over the plastic framed guns. With the old 16 round mags and Dawson precision mag extentions you can get 19 to 21 rounds of 40s&w in a mag.

Dave Dawson use to be Todd Jarrett's gunsmith. They came up with some mods to the P16 and marketed this pistol together. If I recall correctly Dawson took a factory P16 then did all the upgrades. I'm not sure Para knows much about what all was done but Dawson is one of our forum dealers. You can find Dawson's forum in the Vendors Tent area.

Thank you very much for the info. I am becoming more intrigued by this pistol the more I handle it. I live in a small town and have only seen these types of customized 1911's in pictures and videos. We have no organized competitions around here that I am aware of. I traded an underfolding AK parts rifle worth about $550 for this pistol. I think I go a good deal. I have a few pictures of it, but not enough posts to post a photo yet.

Thank you very much for the info. I am becoming more intrigued by this pistol the more I handle it. I live in a small town and have only seen these types of customized 1911's in pictures and videos. We have no organized competitions around here that I am aware of. I traded an underfolding AK parts rifle worth about $550 for this pistol. I think I go a good deal. I have a few pictures of it, but not enough posts to post a photo yet.

Sounds like you got a smoking deal. Check with MidwayUSA for mags and STI mags can also be modify to fit.

Merkava, unless you live in a 10-round (or less) state. It may be better for you to wait for Para's redesigned mags. I have a couple of new 10-rounders and they both activate the slide with one round still in the mag.

Mecgar magazines have worked well for me, except they hold one less round that "real" Para mags. BTW, if you want to use STI mags, Rich at Canyon Creek modified a mag catch for me, very reasonably.

Currently available MecGar mags work very well but as kmca stated they hold one less round. Also, I don't think they will be compatible with the ICE magwell. If you look around you can find the current MecGar mags for < $25. But, for the money you can start shooting the gun and enjoying.

I am told by Para very recently P16 mags should be available late this year.

I had one of these and sent it to Freedom Gunworks and let Bobby Antranite it and the mags. Very smooth shooter and great Limited/L10/ESP gun. Mine was flat topped and arrow patterned. new ambis were added and the controls were polished. other that the name of Dawson/Jarret on it it was pretty much a P16 Limited. Kinda wish i had kept it actually.

Get some STI tubes and don't look back. You'll have to relieve the feed lips to get them to drop free, but I have been running them in a p16 and they work fine. I changed the magazine release to an STI 2011. Also those Spanish mags I have no idea the name of them but the website was Spanish I think. They worked well for me too.

Great Gun and welcome. I ran a P16 limited for years and still have it as my backup gun. If you really want to stick with Para Mags, which I do not recommend, then shop for the Canadain made tubes. Since Para moved to the US and outsourced mag production their components do not work as well as when they were in Canada.

I have no personal experience running STI or SVI mags in my Para but if you can get them to run you will be that much closer to a setup that will run after your conversion to a 2011 platform. It is inevitable for almost every Para shooter so why not spend the $$ on good mags and a little more to make them run in the Para.

Retread

• 4 years later...

I have one of these pistols.  When mags were banned the factory would sell all the parts to make High Cap Mags.  I asses Dawson +2 base pads.

Mine was purchased just before the ICE mag well era.

I liked the trigger but the open guys took it and made it even better if that's possible.

It's not my bedside gun.

I have a Para Pro Custom in 9mm. When the lack of mags issue came up I bought a mag release from Canyon Creek and STI mags from Dawson Precision and have not have any problems what so ever. This is one of the most fun guns to shoot. I have really enjoyed it.

Brad