Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Powder Inspection Station

I have 3 caliber swaps for my 1050; 9mm, 45ACP, and most recently .223. All 3 toolheads have the Dillon Powder Check System. While this thing is clever and works, I never trusted it 100% as there are a lot of moving parts. There have been times when I am humming along and I realized something is misaligned and the buzzer would not have sounded if there was a problem. It didn’t concern me with the straight wall cases as I am manually placing bullets and I look at the powder level on each stroke. But it is very difficult to inside a .223 case to verify powder charge. And for some reason the Powder Check System on my .223 setup seems more finicky than the others. Seemed to me this would be a perfect place for a small video camera to make inspection easier.

There are a plethora of inexpensive inspection cameras available and most are small enough to be mounted in a 1050 toolhead. Trouble is, 99% of them are USB interface. That’s not going to work as I not geeky enough to put a laptop on my loading bench. I did find one source for a 8mm camera with LED light and a 7” monitor but the camera was $400 and with monitor and misc. cost would be $600. Too much.

The other option is to use a borescope type setup. The problem with that approach is the camera is connected to the body with a gooseneck, most are battery operated, and a good one can get pricey.

I searched for quite a while and I finally took a chance on a slightly used Cen-Tech Model 67980 inspection camera on eBay for $110. Camera head is 8.5mm so it will fit anywhere, screen is decent size at 3.5” and it has an AC charger so I don’t have to mess with batteries. The challenges are now to mount the head and body.

I struggled with how to mount the camera head as the mount needs to be ridged to prevent gooseneck from moving head during cycling. Took a while but I finally realized the simplest approach was to use the existing parts. There is a section urethane hose to center the head in the bushing in the toolhead. Then I just removed the parts from the Dillon Powder Check System to get at the cast body. A couple of .625 OD X .250 ID spacers with a ¼” bolt was all that is needed to get the height to mount a bracket and cable clamp. Works great.

For the body I got a sheet of Kydex and formed a holder. The mount is a PanaVise 717-06 ($9.99) which allows the assembly to be easily positioned. Originally I was thinking mount the base to the machine but I realized there really is no need. I have it screwed to a piece of plywood and it stays put. As I sit at the machine I have the screen positioned just in back of the bullet seating position. My eyes are already focused there and it is easy to see powder level in the case. Good field of view from the camera too; with no powder you can clearly see the anvil in the primer through the flash hole.

So there you have it – $125 and no modifications to the 1050.

Actual view is much better than it appears as I am getting a lot of glare from overhead lights in picture.

Overall_zps1105a8f9.jpg

CameraView_zpsceaec851.jpg

Body_zpsa9064b15.jpg

CameraMount_zpsed91dedd.jpg

Edited by mcracco

Update….

I processed a good size batch of .223 so I had a chance to really test the value of the powder inspection station. Here’s what I found:

No powder – I had a couple of weird upstrokes and when that happened no powder dropped. Very obvious on the monitor but not so obvious from the feel that it would have been a powder measure issue. Problem got worse as I went on and I found the mounting screws for the powder measure had loosened which caused it to tilt and not fully cycle.

Split neck – I was surprised by this one. I wasn’t looking at the mouth of the case but something looked off so I pulled the case and sure enough the neck was split.

Low powder – I think I was too busy troubleshooting the powder measure linkage issue that I didn’t notice hopper was empty. Second to last round in the run showed up on the monitor with a very low powder level.

I think it is safe to say if I had been using the Dillon buzzer setup one or two of the bad rounds would have slipped by.

Here is my setup.

Found this 9mm color camera at Home Depot on clearance for $59.00

Works great with a zip tie to the case feeder stand.

Currently I have it setup to inspect 45 acp, when I use it on the rifle cases I just insert it in the powder check die. I used a set of rubber o-rings to hold it in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-38950-137885973472_thumb.jpg

post-38950-137885974746_thumb.jpg

post-38950-137885975838_thumb.jpg

post-38950-137885976639_thumb.jpg

Here is my setup. Found this 9mm color camera at Home Depot on clearance for $59.00 Works great with a zip tie to the case feeder stand. Currently I have it setup to inspect 45 acp, when I use it on the rifle cases I just insert it in the powder check die. I used a set of rubber o-rings to hold it in place. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is a nice tricky setup! It would also work great for guys loading wimp loads in 38 special cases.

• 1 year later...

I had the same question. Where they show the camera located, I'd say no way. But if you could locate it up higher and over the case it might but you also would need sufficient lighting shining into the case as well.

Mcracco does it take up a station on your press?

Look at the second picture; camera is in station 6 where powder check normally would be and uses Dillon powder check body.

Edited by mcracco

Yeah I think you could make it work with the ammovision. You'd have to mount the camera in the station after powder drop and add an led light on the toolhead beside it but then it might work.

The way they mount it in the vid at least allies you to keep station 3 for a powder check or bullet feeder. If you mount it above that option is gone on a 650. Not a problem on a 1050 though.

• 10 months later...

You guys think this borescope for $20 would work then you could plug it into your smartphone/tablet idk if it could auto focus fast enough. The reviews seem to be good and if it doesn't work id only be out $20 I think it's small enough in diameter to go through the hole that the powder check actuaition rod would normally go through and not lose a station?

http://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Waterproof-Borescope-Endoscope-Inspection/dp/B016DEZI8U/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1452942904&sr=1-1&keywords=Bore+scopes

Edited by Smeeg

• 9 months later...