Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight focus - I don't get it?

Southpaw

Thanks, I didn't know that. I wear glasses but can't get contacts yet. Those contacts may be an option for me in the future.

Because I primarily train for defense, I don't use any equipment or techniques that don't lend themselves to an every day carry situation. Because of that glasses with different focal length are out for me. Those contacts sound very cool though.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I primarily train for defense, I don't use any equipment or techniques that don't lend themselves to an every day carry situation.

Good point. You can very easily learn to shoot through a fuzzy sight picture with both eyes wide open and focused on the target (sights aligned along dominant eye sight line), which IMHO is the only viable way to handle a defensive situation. Closing one eye and narrowing your field of view is too dangerous. If you use three color dot system with front sight and rear different color, it's VERY easy to aim without focusing on the sights (using indirect sighting). Since most defense shooting is under 15 yards, the accuracy is more than adequate using indirect sighting.

• 5 years later...

I found an interesting discussion on IPSC global village where Grauffel says he uses target focus with front sight + fiber optic (using the fiber as a dot). 

Same does Ben Stoeger at the moment, target focus.

2 Champions confirming it is interesting enough

For IPSC shooting, I think front sight focus is absolutely fine because the A zone is so large compared to the bullseye on more traditional precision shooting targets.

I also shoot WA1500/PPC, and use an occluder for my left eye as I find it impossible to focus on the front sight with two eyes open.

Edited by Blackstone45

I use a target focus for pretty much everything, including longer distance precision shooting, and regularly practice at 50 and 100 yards with my pistols and sometimes further. A hard front sight focus has never worked as well for me. A small target at distance completely disappears for me if I try to focus on the front sight, but I have no problem aligning fuzzy sights when focusing on the target. I do prefer white dots or dot/outline sights though as opposed to all-black rears; for me using all black sights makes a target focus less effective. 

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What kind of groups (sizes) are you getting at 100 yards ?

I really don't like putting a number to that on a public forum; people tend to assume you're either lying or doing it wrong, depending if you're better or worse than them. Seems to me the competition range is the place to prove that, not here.

With that said, my own goal, which I can usually achieve on a good day with the right gun, etc, is to keep 10 rounds centered in the upper half of a torso silhouette, in approximately 10"-12", or an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. I'm sure a lot of guys can do better than that (I shoot offhand anyway, not much good with a pistol from a bench), and I'm not interested in any debate of who's better or worse or lying about it, but I think it's an illustration that target focus works for me. It's what I learned as a kid and have always done since; a hard front sight focus never worked as well for me.