Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Key Holing Issues

bubba04

I shoot the following out of a 9mm 1911 and glock 19 with KKM barrel.

125 gr LRN IMI bullet 4.1 grains of HP38 and to a length of 1.155.

These reloads shoot great and accurately out of the below pistols. I am currently loading on a 550 with Lee dies. However when I go to shoot them through my Hi Power they Key Hole. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was wondering if I am not pushing the bullet fast enough to stabilize the bullet?

I had some of the same bullets key holing from my Taurus PT 1911 9MM when I had new sights installed. Gunsmith miked the bullets and noted they were .3545! Loaded @ 1.14 w 4.1 Universal- Steel Challenge load. Worked OK for Steel and general screwing around. Lotta barrel leading also. What else ya gonna do when components are in short supply.

These work real well in my 1911 9mm:

130LSWC_zpsb56e16d3.jpg

http://www.bulletworks.com/bulletworks/bulletworks.html

130 Gr LSWC - .358 dia

These work real well in my 1911 9mm:

130LSWC_zpsb56e16d3.jpg

http://www.bulletworks.com/bulletworks/bulletworks.html

130 Gr LSWC - .358 dia

Steve, you're running those at .358? the case doesn't bulge at the bottom of the bullet? Thanks, Kirby

The load I noted above is super accurate out of some of my pistols, just the Hi Power hates it. I am able to make hits at 100 yards with it on a steel silhouette out of my g19 with kkm barrel. Left me head scratching with the issues in the hi power.

Hopefully a little hotter will solve the issue. If not either way I am almost out of these bullets.

Edited by bubba04

>These reloads shoot great and accurately out of the below pistols

The "below pistols" are the Browning Hi-Power. Think you meant the "above" pistols.

My BHP barrel slugs 0.3588+". I shoot 0.359" bullets out of it.

First rule of lead bullets: FIT.

Slug the barrel and be sure bullets are at least 0.001" larger than groove diameter.

I find that 0.357" jacketed and 0.358" lead bullets work great in all my 9x19s, except I need slightly larger lead bullets in my BHP.

To shoot a larger lead bullet, use a .38/.357 expander.

Edited by noylj

Basically you tap a piece of lead down through a lubed barrel barrel and then measure it when it comes out the other end with a micrometer. Whatever the largest measurement you get, your bullets need to measure at least .001" larger.

Not real clear to me what you should use for the lead that you tap down through the barrel. Someone once told me to go buy those lead sinkers that they sell at sporting good stores...a guy at my club told me just use a lead bullet/projectile (not sure if the bullet HAS TO be more than .001" larger than the barrel to begin with in order for it to work - would seem to me that it would have to be otherwise your measurement will be limited to the diameter of the projectile, which will be smaller than the barrel...on the other hand, maybe the lead gets mashed around in there by the rifling enough to have it expand where the rifling is not...maybe someone can chime in on that.) I know Dardas was selling a barrel slugging "kit" with a soft piece of lead made specifically for slugging - probably the best option.