Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revolver (mostly) match Plainfield, IL November 10th, 2013

Oak Park Sportsmens Club in Plainfield, IL (about 50 miles southwest of Chicago off I-55) has a large and successful USPSA program.
We formerly hosted ICORE dates, up to four a year, until club scheduling issues caused us to end the program back in 2010. In an effort to get the revos back up to some kind of speed and attention level, we've declared the club's regular November monthly USPSA match to be a Revolver Division match... with the proviso that well, we'll grudgingly have to let the magazine folks throw some rounds downrange too. Club internal doings, you know.

But this match will be straight six-shot neutral, with five field courses and a classfier. The stages will be large and complex, and a huge pain in the neck for Production Divsion shooters who will curse every dropped magazine.
There will be a good amount of steel, too: we typically do an almost-all-steel stage in our regular doings.
The base non-member match fee is $25. The round count should hover in the 150 range as our monthlies usually do.

www.opsc.ws is the club site.

We would welcome your support.

Postscript: We were disappointed to hear Sam had to cancel the Memphis Charity Challenge. I very much enjoyed having him win the ICORE Wheelgunner's Revenge match a couple of years ago and was hoping to make it this year.
Health and domestic issues kept me home last year.
I would very much like to do a similar event, next year of course, perhaps somewhere up this way a piece or perhaps somewhere else, and if it's possible to put together a group I'd be glad to take on being the MD.
Since I run two USPSA programs (Oak Park SC and North Porter CCC in Chesterton, IN), as well has having worked the WGR, I do have the background to run a larger match.
Oak Park likely wouldn't be willing to grant us a date: it would take a vote of the membership, not just the board, to open up the seventh and eighth bays for a match weekend. Given the way the system works there, that's none too likely.
Still, with the good offices of club VP Phil Proietti (another WGR winner) I am going to go ahead and see if I can leverage my USPSA goodwill into a fifth-Sunday weekend in 2014.
Bend of the River in Niles, Michigan (just north of South Bend, Indiana), host of the WGR, and past host of a Michigan Sectional, too, might be a good place, and both the Board and membership there might well be willing, if a date could be settled.
I'm throwing this out into space to see where it lands. Thanks.

Bill

Bill sounds like fun I may try to make the match in Nov. Not a big fan of 6 shot neutral but its the same for everyone. It is a drive for me but it might be a great way to finish off the season.

I would like to believe that a stand alone match like Sams MCC(hopefully in addition too and not instead of) would work in this part of the country and I believe that is what will make interest in revolvers go up.

Don't rule out some of the Indiana clubs, Warsaw and Atlanta and Riley and Sellersburg are big enough to host a event like this. Indiana seems to draw a decent crowd of revolver shooters to it's bigger matches with more shooters than most of the area matchs.

ICORE isn't huge in Indiana but if a match like this happens it might grow a little.

I have shot the WGR the last two years and BORCC would be a great place also.

I agree on the fifth Sunday as that would not compete with other matchs and might get some of the bottom feeder crowd to come out and play.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Edited by Bosshoss

Let me hasten to add that as anyone who's been subjected to my style of stage design will tell you, the line between six-shot-neutral and not is very hazy. There are lots of stages with eight-shot arrays nowadays- that's why I parked my USPSA revolver (shown in the avatar) and went on with a Government Model. Mine rarely do that, so really, it's not a big deal for me.
Besides, I spend all my mental energy on trying to tie Production and Open shooters up and forget about some of the other nuances of the game.
Since you've been the victim of the design intent noted above- I did the 2012 WGR stages you shot- you may recall.

And, you've absolutely right about the Warsaw group. There isn't anyone better than Brent, and the Revo/SS/Prod match in April was just sensational in terms of blending the divisions into the designs. I was secretly hoping he'd notice the item and maybe get something rolling.
I regretted bringing the Single Stack to that match and watching my squadmate leave the match directors speechless with their competence- Jake Martens told my partner at lunch, with what she described as some amazement, that the sixgunners he had in his squad we so fast, some of them were beating his times.
It was a pleasure to share the squad with you that day, sir. One of the best days I ever had on a range.

Aw, Hop, I'm wiping a tear.

You'd increase the numbers by a lot more than one.
Best wishes on the hip job- cohort Phil Proietti whom you may remember from your Wheelgunner's Revenge triumph tour had two that were very successful.

I will be recouperating from a total left hip replacement in November. If not i would be there to help booster your numbers by 1! !!!!

Hop

Good for you Sam you will be glad you had it done, the rest of us will be wishing you didn't have it done. :bow:

What are we going to call you now as Hopalog won't fit anymore???? :cheers:

I will be recouperating from a total left hip replacement in November. If not i would be there to help booster your numbers by 1! !!!!

Hop

Good for you Sam you will be glad you had it done, the rest of us will be wishing you didn't have it done. :bow:

What are we going to call you now as Hopalog won't fit anymore???? :cheers:

The artist fomerly known as Prin////eeerr .....Hopalong... Good luck with the proceedure but take it easy on us old guys, ok? later rdd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to roll this one back up for another look.
And re-extend the invite to roundgunners everywhere.
We're looking to build up a little momentum. I know we'll have a really good match for you.

Pretty sure the weather will be good. Right? Won't it?
Well, I can promise the five field courses, a classifier, and a reduced match fee for Revo Division entrants- VP Phil Proietti told me five bucks. Can't beat that.

Not to mention the Revo sub-division winners in Moonclip Sub and Speedloader Sub get a nice box o' Federal primers. I guess large for moonies and small for speedloader guys.

Bill

Dont tempt me with primers! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Not gonna be ready for prime time but progress doing pretty good. Still on the walker. At home though and doing PT 3x a week for tje next 6 weeks. Then Dr. Will decide what to do after that.

Good luck with the match :-)

Hopalong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After action report: Good.

The weather cooperated on both setup and match day. There were 63 shooters overall, really good for November, when the start time temperature is usually in the 30s.
There were ten Revolver Division shooters, a club all-time high. Also, a lot of Limited Division shooters switched to Single Stack (about another eight as far as I could tell) on the premise that since they didn't have revos to use, Single Stack was as close as they could come.

Pretty satisfactory.
Thanks all and see you next year.

Now, for full disclosure: my USPSA matches are virtually always six-shot friendly or neutral anyway. I've long disparaged the onset of the eight-shot array with the inclusion of Single Stack Division and work pretty hard to avoid such setups. It's not that I go all six-shot arrays, but try to make targets available in multiple ways that a sharp six-shooter can see his or her way to avoiding the dreaded standing reload.
It's not really hard and it irritates the Production guys as a bonus.

We shall see what eight-shooters bring next year.

Edited by Cherryriver