Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding the Motivation

RangerTrace

For about the last 14 months or so, I've gone through a tremendous amount of changes in my personal life. So personal, that I won't go into detail here, but it's safe to say that it would get almost anyone down.

One of the biggest side effects has been my lack of mental motivation to shoot or practice at all. It's really weird when you consider that for the previous 4 years, all I did was think about this sport, shoot matches and practice when I could. It was one of the most important parts of my life. Now, even when there is really nothing keeping me from getting up on Saturday morning for a match, I find excuses not to go. It's too hot, I'm too tired or whatever.......And it's not for the lack of support. My Sponsors are fully aware of whats going on and they are supportive, as it my Wife.

So, the question is, have any of you found yourself in this position and how did you find the motivation to get back on the range?

I have a new 5.4" Sight Track due any day now, and I'm hoping/praying that will help me get going again. I do miss shooting and the opportunity to shooting with my friends.........

I've had periods where shooting just was not fun anymore, or I was burnt out after a couple years of intensity.

What worked for me was to not have make excuses and feel bad about missing practice or matches; just take a break for a while. No guilt. Decide not to shoot for a few weeks, or months. No practice, no dry fire, just find something else to do for a while.

You'll know its time to get back to shooting when you wake up one day and really want to go......

Others will tell you push through it, challenge yourself to hit a new goal, you'll get through it..... but taking a break is what worked for me. Shooting is somewhat of a perishable skill, but you really won't lose that much and when you back with a fresh mind, you'll be better for it.

YRMV

I've had periods where shooting just was not fun anymore, or I was burnt out after a couple years of intensity.

What worked for me was to not have make excuses and feel bad about missing practice or matches; just take a break for a while. No guilt. Decide not to shoot for a few weeks, or months. No practice, no dry fire, just find something else to do for a while.

You'll know its time to get back to shooting when you wake up one day and really want to go......

Others will tell you push through it, challenge yourself to hit a new goal, you'll get through it..... but taking a break is what worked for me. Shooting is somewhat of a perishable skill, but you really won't lose that much and when you back with a fresh mind, you'll be better for it.

YRMV

Wise words.

I have a new 5.4" Sight Track due any day now, and I'm hoping/praying that will help me get going again. I do miss shooting and the opportunity to shooting with my friends.........

Don't discount the enthusiasm that a new pistol can bring. I had been piddling around in my pistol shooting with an S&W M&P 9mm when I got in a smoking hot SP01 Shadow from the good folks at CZ Custom. All of a sudden, I couldn't not dry fire and get to the range every weekend and was quickly setting personal records, only to break them soon thereafter.

As another response said, sometimes you just need some time away from things to pursue other interests or deal with things in life. This has happened to me with photography several times. Beating yourself up doesn't help—just know that the tools are still there when the inspiration hits again. And some times the fire burns brighter than ever after a long period of smoldering.

Probably not what you want to here but maybe you've moved on and won't regain that intensity to get at it again ... Which is absolutely ok. Nothing says you'll stay involved in the sport forever. I used to be involved in offshore fishing to the point where I was writing features for 2 national fishing magazines, owned my own 35' fly bridge sport fishing boat, was a licensed Coast Guard Capt, owned a small on-line tackle business, etc, etc. I used to take an 18 day fishing trip out of San Diego every year, I hold 2 world records for yellowfin tuna .... Blah, blah, blah, you get the idea. Well I can't remember the last time I went fishing offshore for fun or a tournament .... Point is, some times our interests change and we simply move on .... And that's ok. Now I train 12 days a month and shoot 2-3 matches a month ...fishing has been replaced by competitive shooting.

Hopefully this is not your situation but don't be afraid to admit it to yourself if it is and move on .... Not sure you can force yourself to become motivated again.

The best advice is probably to take a break, and if at some point you can't wait to get back shooting, problem solved, if not, just move on ....

YRMV

Wise words.

Indeed! Especially:

Thanks for the comments! I can't see myself being done with the Sport, so I guess I'm just waiting for that "morning" to come......and I hope it's real soon!

Depression can be brought on by many things without even being aware it's happening. Most people have a problem asking for help in this area. Have a chat with your Dr., they are there to help you enjoy your life.