Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reload splits

crowmag

Was wondering what a good split for a reload on a classifier would be, say 3 paper (6 shots) reload 3 paper. Time from last shot in string one to first shot after reload?

I was working on this tonight 1.24 to 1.36 I am a B shooter with one foot in A class.

I'm B also and my 'consistent' live fire pace at 10 yards is right around 1.3x also. I can go sub 1 second on a real close target but at that pace I am not picking up the sight after the load at all, and I'll chuck the mag half away across the range about 10% of the time lol.

Was wondering what a good split for a reload on a classifier would be, say 3 paper (6 shots) reload 3 paper. Time from last shot in string one to first shot after reload?

I was working on this tonight 1.24 to 1.36 I am a B shooter with one foot in A class.

It depends on range. How far is the target you are shooting at? 5 yards, 7 yards, 10 yards?

For production a 1.1-1.2 split consistently should be very dueable at 7 yards with practice.

If you are in the 1.3ish area and having problems making "A" class then I would assume you are either loosing time somewhere else or getting weak hits

Edited by bigfish

It depends on range. How far is the target you are shooting at? 5 yards, 7 yards, 10 yards?

For production a 1.1-1.2 split consistently should be very dueable at 7 yards with practice.

If you are in the 1.3ish area and having problems making "A" class then I would assume you are either loosing time somewhere else or getting weak hits

+1

Edited by Shadow

I am a C class shooter and have been stuck in the 1.8 to 2 second range at 10 yards. If I push, and maybe not see the front sight, maybe 1.5 and an occasional perfect (for me) 1.2X, in practice. Any suggestions for drills or technique changes for improvement, or just repetition?

I am a C class shooter and have been stuck in the 1.8 to 2 second range at 10 yards. If I push, and maybe not see the front sight, maybe 1.5 and an occasional perfect (for me) 1.2X, in practice. Any suggestions for drills or technique changes for improvement, or just repetition?

well, i doubt that reloads are holding you back. those are actually decent b/c times imho. I'm about to make B in L10 and production, so I've been working alot on my reloads.

First thing I would point out is that in most field stages, you'll be moving while reloading, so unless you totally flub it, it shouldn't hurt to be a couple tenths slower. One thing I work on is starting to move (and reload) immediately after shooting. Sometimes I catch myself starting the reload and delaying my movement, so I'm trying to nip that bad habit in the bud.

I do lots of burkett reload drills (see steve anderson's book) in dry-fire. I start from the front mag pouch and do 3 reps there, 2 each on the middle pouches and 1 on the furthest back pouch, then I lower the part time .1 and cycle again. During this I'm really focusing on gripping the mag properly with my index finger running down the front of it, and looking at the mag well, and keeping the gun high enough to make an easy path for the mag into the magwell. After 2-3 cycles through all the mag pouches, I'll do some drills where I actually seat the magazine and acquire the target, but I find if I do too many of those and not enough burkett drills, I start to rush and get sloppy and not smooth.

Probably need to focus on what your support hand is doing.

This is an old run on El Prez at an Ohio match that came in at 100%. Grainy video, but shows what it shows.

The reload was not fast, but it was very solid and fundamental. And, just as important, it started coming off an Alpha hit, and finished to another Alpha hit.

Somebody else took this video of me, and I found it and copied it.. At the time, I recall trying to get a time on that reload. IIRC it was about 1.20 - 1.25 seconds.

Great tip from a buddy of mine Mr Andersen@ 1:35 and performed like a boss @ 3:09

Great video. I find that if you break the action down to its component steps (like in the video) and focus on getting them correct (with no concern for the time) and then start building speed before long you can do it correctly and quickly without thinking about it. As you build the speed, periodically check your technique is correct. Your ego may get a boost if you can complete the action quickly before you get the technique correct however you may find that you prematurely limit your progress (and speed) due to the incorrect technique. You can apply this to any action you are learning.

Great tip from a buddy of mine Mr Andersen@ 1:35 and performed like a boss @ 3:09

Great video. I find that if you break the action down to its component steps (like in the video) and focus on getting them correct (with no concern for the time) and then start building speed before long you can do it correctly and quickly without thinking about it. As you build the speed, periodically check your technique is correct. Your ego may get a boost if you can complete the action quickly before you get the technique correct however you may find that you prematurely limit your progress (and speed) due to the incorrect technique. You can apply this to any action you are learning.

I agree 100%. Im in this part of my progression. Im essentially returning back to when I started and doing things the way I know they should be done. During any practice, as brief or incomplete as it has been, I wasn't mindful of grip, trigger control, sights etc etc...I just drew gun pointed and slapped away at the trigger. Ive gotten so far that now I know if I want to keep progressing im going to have to put in more practice and work. Starting with concepts Chris explained. Simplify.

one bad habit I got into was mimicking those shooters like Chris. I have to know and accept I am not......yet. Sure, when shooting with him at local matches, my times are comparable...but everything else is lacking severely.

Time to go back to the drawing board so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was that a 1.64 reload?

What were the hits?

I'm getting splits on that from .17 to .32, transitions .37, .46 & .26 (reverse order).

First shot to last I get 4.23 seconds, didn't get the beep for the draw time.

Playing with adjustable electronics, I am.

Depending on the hits, I'm thinking all As at 25 yards would be Master, all Ds would be beginner's level?

I'm working on mine. I shoot Open, so we don't do as many as other Divisions,

but still need to be as fast as possible.

I shoot open also the only time you need a quick reload is in classifiers we don't get a lot of practice on a normal stage with 30 rounds in the gun :devil:

• 1 year later...