Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the APEX extractor legal for Production?

Moltke

Getting ready to send this question to USPSA and NROI unless someone here can reference me the answer -

According to the rule below, I would like to know if the Apex extractor is currently allowed in USPSA Production for Glock pistols. It says "APEX" on the exterior of the extractor although I can see below that an extractor is specifically listed as an external part which can be replaced with OEM or aftermarket products. The entire reason that I am asking about this part being allowed or not allowed is NOT to gain a competitive advantage over other Glock or Production shooters but simply to fix a set of problems with the late generation 3 and all generation 4 pistols. The Apex extractor can be tuned unlike a Glock OEM extractor to fix the problems that many people (including myself) have been experiencing and posting about on the web - erratic ejection patterns, brass being ejected back to the shooter, hitting them in the face, and causing jams in the handgun. In order to maintain safety and prevent hot brass being thrown back at shooters, in their faces, and in my case a perfect landing behind my safety glasses - I am asking that it please be clarified and ruled acceptable to replace the Glock OEM extractor with a tuned Apex extractor on a Production gun even though it says "APEX" on the part.

Appendix D, Rule 21.6

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components
Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts.
Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.
Special Notes/Clarifications:
• Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings.
• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.
• Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OEM parts” if the customshop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have anything they can reference to back up this assertion? I am starting to branch out beyond local matches to bigger ones and don't want to get to the chrono stage, have my gun inspected, and then be caught in an arguement without something to show an RO - "Here, look, this ruling from USPSA or NROI says it's okay"...

Yes, show them this in the rule book. It specifically mentions extractors.

Appendix D, Rule 21.6

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components
Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts.

No need for a letter from NROI. The rulebook is an authoritative document and its pretty clear that extractors can be replaced. Notice that they're allowed in the same section as replacement sights and people put on all sorts of replacement sights.