Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 Spillage

I have a new XL 650 setup with casefeeder and MrBulletFeeder, and really like it. However, every time the autoindex happens, a few little flakes of power fly out right as the ball bearing snaps the plate into position after the power funnel. There's never much at one time but after loading hundreds of rounds, it manages to get everywhere and forces me to clean it up. This happens in loading Solo into a 9mm case--its not filled to the brim but the cases are something like 2/3s full. I've tried adjusting the tension on the plate higher and lower but there's no apparent difference. I can't help but wonder if I should use a weaker spring under the ball. There also seems to be static electricity involved, so maybe it is more than just the mechanical snap that causes this spillage. I've talked to two other 650 users who experience the same thing.

Ideas?

i had this as well. go on ebay and they have bearing kits that will help and i also trimmed the spring under the ball detent under the shell plate. also switched out the detent ball with a cermaic ball. it helped alot once i did all those mods. but you should be good with just trimming the spring

KMC just search in the Dillon forum and you'll find LOTS of threads talking about this problem. People have all sorts of fixes from timing the spring to different ball bearings, etc. There's about 100 different ways people have tackled this issue, from very simple to very complex...

In my case, I replaced the steel ball with a hard plastic one off ebay and I still ended up cutting nearly a full turn off--a little better than 3/4s. I think I went further than I needed. I also put a roller bearing pushrod into the first station in place of Dillon's straight bar. It works really slick but at first was causing me some interference that led me to remove a little more spring before I realized where the issue was coming from. At any rate, it works slick and I can now load without spilling flakes with ever round!