Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which dies should I try to find for loading precision .308?

JC49ae

I have the same question. I want to start reloading for my 700P LTR, but my head starts spinning when I read about full length vs neck sizing, bushing vs collet dies, body dies, UGH.

I'm not looking for bench rest type accuracy, but I am willing to perform any extra steps to insure that the rifle, not the ammo, is the limiting factor.

Edited by moose76

I went through this earlier this year due to the shortage of equipment my previous standard stuff was not available in the caliber i wanted so I poured through snipershide and came up with a pretty good setup.

For a sizing die, I got a Redding Type S Full Length Die that uses bushings. These dies full length size and neck size at the same time. I decided that since I'm not loading for benchrest, I want the cases to be run through the sizing die to insure they will feed and chamber properly, especially if a timer is running. The benefit to a die that will neck size with a bushing is the ability to determine what neck size you want vs the "normal" , This can be a great benefit if you use the same headstamp of brass all the time. If you really want to get anal, turn the necks to a uniform thickness too. All that leads to uniform neck tension that holds the bullet in the case as there is no crimping done. Uniform neck tension = accuracy. Or so I have been lead to believe.

For the seating die, I went with a Forester Ultra Bullet Seater. It is a few dollars less than the Redding counterpart and was in stock at the time I ordered. There were several people on SH that said it was every bit as good if not better than the RCBS, Redding or Hornady stuff.

Edited by warpspeed

• 3 months later...

I only FL resize and recommend only FL resizing, reason why is a properly FL sized case feeds every time, a FL sized cases have the greatest level of uniformity, and when the FL die is setup to only bump the shoulder .001-.0015(bolt gun) brass will last a long time because it's not being over worked, there is no accuracy advantage to NS only, the best bolt gun shooters in the world all FL size every time, including the current 100 yard BR record holder(I shoot at the same club as him) David Tubb FL sizes every time, and this years PRS Champion FL sizes every time.

As for dies I recommend Redding Type S FL die with there carbide expander ball, with the correct bushing the ball should barely touch on exit, concentricity will be less than .002 and proper neck tension every time, seat bullets with a Redding Competition seating die, seat all bullets by Ojive length and not COAL.

If you don't have a Headspace Gauge, get one, use it to set up your FL die for the .001-.0015 bump, only measure clean fired cases(fired in your weapon) that are decapped, use the longest case as your reference case to determine should bump.

For the money foster does with a carbide button work well. The bushing systems from foster and redding are a nice upgrade if you are not getting good results. Another option is to send fl size die back to foster and have the neck reamed out a little. I'm using a redding bushing die and standard redding seating die and getting 5 shots touching at 200 yds with my palma gun. Loaded on a dillon 550.

I have the same question. I want to start reloading for my 700P LTR, but my head starts spinning when I read about full length vs neck sizing, bushing vs collet dies, body dies, UGH.

I'm not looking for bench rest type accuracy, but I am willing to perform any extra steps to insure that the rifle, not the ammo, is the limiting factor.

+1...same gun...

• 2 weeks later...