Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition gear questions

cdog1157

I'm going to start shooting USPSA, IDPA, steel challenge and maybe 3-gun at a local gun club with a few friends just for fun. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new gun and gear. I'm thinking a Glock 34/35, which would you guys suggest? Also need a belt, holster and mag pouch which are legal in the matches. I'm looking at the Blade-tech IDPA competition set but leaning towards the Comp-tac pro competition kit. I'll probably get the Blade-tech belt with either holster. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

I would lean towards the G34 if you plan on shooting a fair amount of steel challenge and 3 gun. You can shoot that platform in USPSA production, IDPA, and steel and 3 gun. The G35 in my opinion is not a good choice for steel challenge or 3 gun. Either rig will suit your needs.

Edited by Mac38

G35 is what I went with, so that I can shoot limited major for uspsa. I've got a conversion barrel on the way so I can shoot 9mm for steel/3 gun. Basically it's like having two guns for the price of one.

That's a really good option. For the $100 conversion barrel you can shoot everything with two calibers to shoot the right one for any game.

Not to throw this thread off topic but do most people use a different holster for their 34 in IDPA and USPSA? I have a bladetech for IDPA right now but I was just seeing if there was anything else out there worth looking at.

G35 is what I went with, so that I can shoot limited major for uspsa. I've got a conversion barrel on the way so I can shoot 9mm for steel/3 gun. Basically it's like having two guns for the price of one.

Another option is to load some .40 minor loads. Tuned right with the right Minor PF loads, a .40 can shoot softer than a 9mm IMO. 9mm ammo is cheaper though

Another option is to load some .40 minor loads. Tuned right with the right Minor PF loads, a .40 can shoot softer than a 9mm IMO. 9mm ammo is cheaper though

Would you recommend starting with a 165gr to make a soft shooting .40 load?

Opposite. Higher bullet weight will require less powder to make the same power factor. Use a 180gr bullet and low powder to get a soft shooting load.

Would you recommend starting with a 165gr to make a soft shooting .40 load?

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started shooting matches, I bought a G35 thinking I can shoot it in USPSA production with a conversion barrel. I was wrong, wasn't allowed to shoot with the conversion barrel. When using the conversion barrel I had a lot of FTE's so I didn't even want to shoot the convesion barrel and ended up selling it. Then I got a G17. Shot it in USPSA production for a few years, IDPDA, and even a few local steel matches. Turned my G35 into a limited gun. Eventually got a G34 and still use it in USPSA production and local steel matches, stopped shooting IDPA. Short answer, recommend a G34.

For holster, my preference is Ready Tactical. Mag pouches, CR speed but won't work for IDPA. I used to use cheap kydex mag pouches made by someone from another forum, it was real cheap (2 for $20) back in 2003, still have them. Belt is CR speed but used to use Wilderness Tactical for USPSA and IDPA before I stopped shooting IDPA. Before you pick a holster and mag pouches, you have to ask yourself, are you really going to shoot IDPA? If so, you'll have to pick IDPA compliant holster and mag pouches, and that'll limit your options.

I wish I had bought a 35 and a spare barrel. Tons of flexibility on the cheap

I've heard some have problems with the conversion barrel, but I don't have any experience with them. Stuck with stock barrels on all. I have the 17, 34, and 35. Good thing is I can use the same holster and belt for them all. My 36 and 19 fit too. (yeah, I like Glocks). Lets me shoot USPSA production, limited, IPSC, and GSSF. If you shoot a lot you will have more than one gun each one set up for the division you shoot. Just my opinion and thats worth, well, you know...

I'd start with the 34, its most the versatile - pretty much shoot all divisions. If you are serious about limited then you want the .40 for scoring and then mag wells, extended base pads, tungsten guide rod... sickness kicks in... etc.

Edited by frankge