Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of Hodgdon Clays in 20 Ga.

Doc Lisenby

I recently received an answer to my question posed to Hodgdon about why there is no data in your book(s) about using Clays in the 20 ga.. They said that it is too fast for the snaller bore. I'll accept this word "from the horse's mouth" and not be tempted to try it.

I still like it mainly for its' clean shooting characteristic. Anyone got a comment on Green Dot Powder. I an presently using it. Any better choices?

Started out w/ reddot (fast burning), then switched to greendot (medium burning) at same velocity thinking it would recoil less - wrong! In trap loads, it kicked noticeably more. Go w/ the fastest powder for which you have reliable data - the Hodgdon site does a good job of this.

There is another Dot problem for 3gun - they are comparatively quite dirty due allegedly to the use of graphite NOTE!! The DOT powders, at least Reddot, was re-formulated to be cleaner in the last 2 years. Good work though I still prefer Hodgdon.

HOWEVER, Hodgdon makes cleaner shotgun powder IMHO.  Which semi are you using for 3 gun, the Remington, the Saiga, or something else? I found that for gas guns, Universal functioned best.

Suggestion before you invest a lot of time buying...run down to your local trap/skeet range and talk to some ol' timers about loads.  Carlos is partially right about burn rates...text book stuff but being dirty  and a problem for 3gunning is misleading.  If you don't have that resource available....drop another note and I can direct you in the direction to ask the experts.   Competed in trap for 3 years....theres a lot of shotgunning experience out there.  

Yeah, I got off on Clays because at the local trap range seems like everybody shoots it in their 12's. I was on Green Dot but thought Clays would shoot cleaner. Dirty burning didn't prove a problem for hunting but several rounds of trap showed me why they liked Clays. Not only that but I can load my revolvers (44 Russian and Rem Mag plus 45ACP) with it and it works fine.

The tournament shooters shoot a lot more than I do and dirty powder is a problem. Dove hunting does't present a problem for me but it does for some people.  I know because I'm the local "smithy" and many shooters here shoot cheap factory loads and a lot of them shoot the whole season without cleaning their shotguns. It is surprising how many shooters neglect their guns and may just spray them with WD40 and keep on shooting. Thanks for the advise good members, I will consider and heed all info. I've been shooting Red Dot for a long, long time and it has never failed me but didn't consider they have changed the formulation. I have used a lot of it in pistol rounds when there wasn't any other choice locally except Bullseye, Herco and Unique. I have just about quit shooting semi-autos or as we call them "jamomatics". Sure hope the new Benelli has a fool proof design. Think I will just stay with Clays Univeral for my 20 ga. it seems very clean and Green Dot is pretty good also from my limited experience with it. Thanks guys.