Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is match fee so expensive

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny story-

Back when the Blue Ridge Mountain first came to Kentucky, I heard about this crazy sport called 3 gun just a few weeks before the match. I wasn't willing to write a check for three hundred something dollars for match fees, so I volunteered to work the match so I could shoot for free.

I had no idea what I signed up for, but here I am 5 years later, still volunteering to work what is one of the most physically demanding matches in the country. I've learned some of this game from the greatest, and I'm proud to call many of the competitors good friends.

Funny story-

Back when the Blue Ridge Mountain first came to Kentucky, I heard about this crazy sport called 3 gun just a few weeks before the match. I wasn't willing to write a check for three hundred something dollars for match fees, so I volunteered to work the match so I could shoot for free.

I had no idea what I signed up for, but here I am 5 years later, still volunteering to work what is one of the most physically demanding matches in the country. I've learned some of this game from the greatest, and I'm proud to call many of the competitors good friends.

And that is hard to put a price on (Well said Bryan)

If you're ever in the Northern Illinois area Tri County Gun Club in the

Northern Illinois Section has a 3 gun match on the 4th Sunday of every

month from April thru October. Its 5 pistol stages, 2 shotgun and 2

rifle all for $25 and that includes a free lunch. They have been doing

that for several years. You can shoot the Pistol for $15 including

lunch or shoot the Shotgun/Rifle for $10 including lunch. Pistol in the

AM and long guns in the PM.

When I first started the prizes I won were, well not the greatest, but they definetly were not the reason I went. Now that I have put in some time and my scores are getting a little better the prize table speaks to me a little more, but it still is not the reason I go.

The reasons I go and how I pick where to spend my money are:

1. Enviromental quality. I really apreciate the hours put into building the props or cleverly positioning the targets in natural terrain.

2. A professional staff. I want the stages to be the same for EVERYONE, whether they are sponsering the match or the average joe

3. The people. I have met some of the greatest people shooting 3gun. Couple that with being able to shoot WITH the pros and learn from them is outstanding

If you want to see what flavor a match is, look no further than these forums. Look under the matches subforum and read through the responses after the match is over. There are always links to videos of that match which are also very helpfull if the match is not within driving distance for yo to personally check out

Can anyone explain why the match fees for 3 gun are like 200 plus a match. I mean what the heck do you get for that dam much money?

Still don't answer the question and makes absolutely no sense to post that but anyway. At a local pistol match cost me 20 bucks all over Georgia and Alabama for a regular match. I have paid higher entry fees but that was a championship match or sectional. So what makes 3 gun more I understand the need for a few more targets or clay birds

3gun matches in general I have been trying to get into to it but 500 bucks a match with me and wife is costly to try it or continue to shoot it if we do like it. I just can't understand why every match I find is so damed expensive

I understand the setup and all but me for example I want to try it out but at the cost of 300 bucks to try turns me off from spotting them. Plus I would never win anything since I'm not that good. I will figure it out eventually and find a cheaper one someplace

You seem to have set your whole entire basis and points on majors it seems (which I have not seen a real difference compared to national level USPSA and IPDA matches). ARFCOM, Blue Ridge, SMM3G, FB3G, FNH, Bushmaster, etc. are (what i consider) national level/annual matches/championships which do have those higher entry fees. Again: these are annual matches/higher level matches. This has to pay for more targets (200-500+ shooters along with 8-12 stages with many targets replaced every morning), match hotel/reservations for discounts, annemties, catering, prize table, etc. are all things that play into that. The match location could also play an issue to reserve the facility for an entire week which has to be paid for (Rockcastle, AIM Academy, Spartan Tactical, etc.). Most of these matches also have prize tables that are in excess of $200k upward to close $500k (last years ARFCOM was HUGE, FNH last year had over 100+ guns on the tac ops table). Also to point out that most of these major 3Gun events are considered "outlaw" and do not fall (well most) within the confines of an association (such as USPSA and IDPA) which has an associated member base and membership fees. 3GunNation has only been around for a few years (granted does have memberships) but does not follow the same style doctrine (from what I can interpret, not at least from the last 4 years I have been shooting 3Gun; it has however implemented a similar classification club series).

If thats the case and dont like to pay this amount for a major... *or you say its not worth it if you can't win anything* (I beleive that is a moot point, that a different/personal issue than a match issue) ... then attend local matches like you have explained with your local pistol match statement (I assume USPSA. SSCA, IDPA or something of the like). My local/state monthly 3Gun matches range from $20-50 much like most other USPSA/IDPA monthly matches I attend. The higher cost ones maybe due to the fact its on the 3GN club point series/have a raffle/etc.

As Bryan said, you could also RO to cut the cost. If I remember correctly FNH this year and last paid for your match fee and hotel costs+food and also had RO prize table in addition to the normal prize table.

I think you are not defining the line between a "regular" and a "major" match. I know for a fact there are many local monthly matches in AL and GA (not going to mention the team/teams). A partial list of 3Gun Nation Club series matches:

http://3gunnation.com/club_series/club_directory

Googling Alabama or Georgia 3Gun came up with more clubs that host 3Gun matches that are not on the above link.

A caveat to the above statements I made: If you do understand the difference between the two levels of matches of 3Gun, then I ask whats the difference compared to USPSA/IDPA nationals costs vs 3gun costs which are roughly the same, which INCLUDE the USPSA 3Gun Nationals which is in the same ballpark as far as entry fee.

Edited by KTKlaus

Even local matches cost alot in time and money to put on. There were no monthy matches close to my area so my self and three other partners teamed up, approached a new local range looking to host some events, and started a match. Between what we have in targets, dirt work, props, and buying prizes to give away to generate interest, repairing what mother nature has tried to wash away this summer, it will be a LONG time before we ever make any money.

The majors make money, dont doubt that, but they offer a superior product that people are willing to buy. I can assure you it took a significant investment of time and money to get a match to the point where it sells out in only a few days.

Even local matches cost alot in time and money to put on. There were no monthy matches close to my area so my self and three other partners teamed up, approached a new local range looking to host some events, and started a match. Between what we have in targets, dirt work, props, and buying prizes to give away to generate interest, repairing what mother nature has tried to wash away this summer, it will be a LONG time before we ever make any money.

The majors make money, dont doubt that, but they offer a superior product that people are willing to buy. I can assure you it took a significant investment of time and money to get a match to the point where it sells out in only a few days.

I've been holding my comments, but...I'm going to have to disagree! I think JP RM3G is considered a major, and we don't make money. Our expensives take up ALL of our money. We barely break even. RO lodging and food, targets, range fees, rental fees, paint, tape etc, This year more money went on the prize table. Over $10,000. We fill up every year. But, there are so many costs that you never think about. $190 in ice...just a thousand little things...

Maybe some of the majors make money, but the other match directors I talk to are in the same boat. We're not doing this for the money! Just sayin'

Denise

Where are your matches? if in SC it likely wouldn't be much farther than ours in Augusta.

If you want to try a "local" 3-gun, we have our next one in Augusta September 21st. Two 3 gun stages and 2 shotgun-only stages. I believe that Palmetto Gun Club is now running some 3-gun matches as well. They have a nicer range and are about the same distance as us from Columbus.

I love the debate and the info given, but match fees a concern??? Try living in a place that you have to drive two hours just to get to an airport just

so you can fly to a $300 match. I got $40 in gas just to get to and from the airport. Then figure airfare, car rental, hotel...Match fee? BFD, so long as it is a good match it is well worth it.

I cry no tears to those who get to drive 2 to 6 hours to some of these 3Gun major funshoots. And even fewer tears for those "get to" drive to most matches! I love to drive and have (my personal limit is 17 hours one-way) but I can not get that kind of time off work. And work is my BIGGEST sponsor!

I love the debate and the info given, but match fees a concern??? Try living in a place that you have to drive two hours just to get to an airport just

so you can fly to a $300 match. I got $40 in gas just to get to and from the airport. Then figure airfare, car rental, hotel...Match fee? BFD, so long as it is a good match it is well worth it.

I cry no tears to those who get to drive 2 to 6 hours to some of these 3Gun major funshoots. And even fewer tears for those "get to" drive to most matches! I love to drive and have (my personal limit is 17 hours one-way) but I can not get that kind of time off work. And work is my BIGGEST sponsor!

Same here. To get to the airport is 120 miles away and about $85 in gas $80 bucks in parking fees while I am gone, of course rental cars and hotels. I use miles for the tickets.

Pat

The first match I shot that cost over $200 was the "Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun" this past March. For that $300 I got to shoot 11 5 star 3 gun stages, met 15 new friends on my shooting squad, found the confidence to shoot with world class shooters, shot with world class shooters, hit targets out to and over 300 yards, and although I came in almost dead last in my division received almost $700 in prizes. All in all I would say it was well worth the entry fee. The 2nd match I shot, "The He Man nationals" in June didn't quite have the prize table as the SMM3G had but everything else was the same. If you can't afford these match's that's fine but they are well worth the fee.

James, Adam and I have stories very similar to Bryan working up through the ranks @ RM3G. James is one of the top shooters in the game now and I run a few major matches and shoot others.

Lets get one thing straight, not all matches have the same expenses and some spend more on the ROs than others. Second, the big matches get cash from several sponsors and the days of buying prizes from match fees are gone. There are some matches where I know the numbers, and some MDs are making a nice chunk of change for running their matches. Very few run them at zero profit. You also have to realize that some matches have a major sponsor that is huge and does the match to give back...and advertise.

But, regardless, people pay the fees, and the profits have gone up the last several years as a result.

If everyone could chip in and email a few dollars (BR549@MiddleOfNowhere.comedy), I doubt we can afford to move Patrick all the way to civilization but we can probably get him to where it is a short bus ride and not a long distance call.

Why are the fees so high? Because people are willing to pay them, and for good reason. If match directors didn't offer a good product then we wouldn't see the attendance levels continue to grow at such a high rate.

And as has been said before, RO. You get to shoot for free (and typically get housed and meals too), meet tons of shooters, and usually have a chance at an RO prize table.

If everyone could chip in and email a few dollars (BR549@MiddleOfNowhere.comedy), I doubt we can afford to move Patrick all the way to civilization but we can probably get him to where it is a short bus ride and not a long distance call.

I like it! And while your at it kids make sure have a $90K JOB wherever you send me with plenty of time off! Thanks

Sounds like you want to work on the Pinedale Anticline in Wyoming Pat, Still middle of no where but pleanty of time off! :)

If'n you gots a powerplant sumwhere nearby I just might go!

Nah, they would expect me to work full shifts just like every plant I've worked at.

Actaully if was really smart like you my friend, I own my own business and....no I don't want to do that either!

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I hope the match directors are making a profit, but I do not believe many, if any are. I think that the match fees are too low. I think that the entry for a major match should be no less than $1000.00, it would thin out the ranks and make the squads smaller. Also then we could have strippers do all the resetting and scoring. Having nearly nude ladies taping and resetting steel would be just the thing to push our sport to the next level. I want loud music and caddies, concession stands for the fans who are watching, and cheerleaders. Pay the money or don't, if you think you can throw a better match for less money then show your American spirt and do it, otherwise go back to discussing how great the latest variable power optic is. Please do not think that this post is meant to be sarcastic, it's not, I am serious, this is my serious face, and I mean every word, I like to shoot, and I hate to reset, bring on the umbrella girls!

I hope the match directors are making a profit, but I do not believe many, if any are. I think that the match fees are too low.

I charge $150 for the Novekse match, it makes a profit which goes to the club and we buy new props and targets. Taran won it this year and told me it was the best match he has shot in 5 years. Through match fees and grants, we have almost $30K of MGM steel on the range in just 2 years time! There are some matches that DO turn a significant profit. I will do everything I can to improve the match and keep the match fee at $150 because, even though it is a small part of the total, the perception for new shooters is there. The sport DOES need more $150 matches IMHO.

StIhead.........we need to determine if it's a strip club's Friday/Saturday night crew.....or Thursday morning squad.

MarkCO......to be honest, that WAS a great match! Regardless of your state's new crappy laws, I'm hoping I get to shoot that match again next year. If it were $250, I would still shoot it!