Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

2 hours ago, TCB said:

What’s the scoop on replacement charging handles for these things? I’d like to ditch the plastic one here at some point but it looks like Nordic doesn’t offer one that fits, or it may be that I just can’t make out their product codes?

Briley makes one that looks nice.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, a buddy is looking for a trij  rmr mount for his 1301 Comp, it's not the brand new model, it it 3 years old. (Diff action length?).  Does anyone make one?   Thanks

Edited by Hany

A charging handle? I was asking if there was a way to "easily" mount a trijicon rmr dot...oops sorry, saw that u were replying to another question. Apologies. 

Edited by Hany

A charging handle? I was asking if there was a way to "easily" mount a trijicon rmr dot...oops sorry, saw that u were replying to another question. Apologies. 

Yeah, I don’t shoot open so I can’t help you with the mount! However, I see you mentioned the newer 1301s have a different action length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, xtremekramer said:

Yeah, I don’t shoot open so I can’t help you with the mount! However, I see you mentioned the newer 1301s have a different action length?

1301 Picatinny rail

The “new” (2017) 1301 Competition is still the same action. Just a change in the lifter shape and serial # location.

The 1301 Competition receiver/action is a little longer than the “Tactical” version (with the 18” barrel and ghost ring sights)

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, xtremekramer said:

And here I was hoping your slop was from the two piece....still worth buying or not worth the money?

It works just fine, just not as solid as the factory part.  It does help picking your shotgun out of the lineup on the loading table when there is more than one 1301.  I'll be keeping it for a spare, just in case.

One problem I discovered with the briley handle, during firing it can turn counterclockwise a bit and unlocks that it pulls out of position about 1/8” and locks the whole action. The rotating bolt head is retracted from the bolt body but the action/bolt is fully seated in the chamber and cannot be moved forward or aft. Push the handle back and turn it clockwise and the action is good to go again. Happened to me twice in about 100+ rounds. But it does not jam during firing the gun. I noticed it when I manually cleared the chamber after firing. Dont know if this is true with the oem handle.I replaced it with the briley before firing any round. 

My very first outing with my new 1301 in open, 200 round major match yesterday, had a hiccup in my second to the last stage, last 3 targets, felt like a misfire, pulled on the bolt handle to eject but the round stayed in the chamber, another round released from the mag to feed resulted to a double feed, thougt I was toast, fortunately the second round ejected when i pulled the handle again, released it and continued to finish the stage. Added 4-5 sec in time. First jam. Hope its just a fluke. Gun is under 500 rounds total. All reloads 1oz 7.5 birdshot, 1,150 fps. Still Im quite pleased with its performance. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, BoyGlock said:

My very first outing with my new 1301 in open, 200 round major match yesterday, had a hiccup in my second to the last stage, last 3 targets, felt like a misfire, pulled on the bolt handle to eject but the round stayed in the chamber, another round released from the mag to feed resulted to a double feed, thougt I was toast, fortunately the second round ejected when i pulled the handle again, released it and continued to finish the stage. Added 4-5 sec in time. First jam. Hope its just a fluke. Gun is under 500 rounds total. All reloads 1oz 7.5 birdshot, 1,150 fps. Still Im quite pleased with its performance. 

Never heard of that happening.  3k through mine, only issues were self-induced, broken tube spring or caked gas piston.

On 11/28/2017 at 5:23 AM, bluedevil008 said:

Never heard of that happening.  3k through mine, only issues were self-induced, broken tube spring or caked gas piston.

Well now you heard it from me so never say never : )

my best guess is, the bolt was a bit open and initially thought its due to the round failing to chamber fully. But in hind sight it could be the shell rim was in front of the extractor forcing the chamber not to close. Trigger can be pulled but wont fire the round. Tried to clear the jam by pulling the bolt handle but left the round in the chamber. Closed the bolt with a new shell = double feed. Pulled the bolt again and ejected the new shell. 1301s will not feed another round from the mag tube if not live-fired. Good for me coz it ejected the new shell and closed the bolt with the previous round in the chamber. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Never heard of that happening.  3k through mine, only issues were self-induced, broken tube spring or caked gas piston."

I have less than 1k through mine, I had one failure to feed. The shell came out of the magazine tube, and the bolt pushed it up against the bottom of the barrel, where it lodged. A friend of mine was shooting it at the time, pulled the round out and it had a bent out piece on the front of the shell. Could have been like that out of the box, but most likely happened from getting smashed against the barrel by the bolt. The gun had over 400 rounds through it without a cleaning, it was brand new, so this was during its break in period. Haven't had any other problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

That will be from the slot thats cut out for the extractor to ride up into as the bolt closes. Its basicaly a knife edge and if the mouth of the shell catches it it can grab and hang the shell up, leaves a nice little gouge in the front of the shell. My 1301 and my vepr 12 both do this occasionaly,  my mates versmax did it in a competition a number of times on the first day until he sorted it and another mates 1301 has done it to him.

I run a file over that piece now to try and lift the edge up and also blunten it. 

Its also realy hard to mimic the jam by hand, try running a shell into the chamber and purposely try to catch the mouth of the shell on that edge and you realise that your stars have to line up for it to happen! But come match day....

On 10/03/2018 at 8:25 AM, Towely said:

That will be from the slot thats cut out for the extractor to ride up into as the bolt closes. Its basicaly a knife edge and if the mouth of the shell catches it it can grab and hang the shell up, leaves a nice little gouge in the front of the shell.

My 1301 used to do this. The problem went away when I started investing in good ammo rather than any old crap.

That said, I can run any old crap if I put the rounds through a crimp press to round off the edges before I use them.

Easy answer? Look for a nice rounded crimp (from the side) rather than a square top

On 10/03/2018 at 8:25 AM, Towely said:

I run a file over that piece now to try and lift the edge up and also blunten it. 

Don't do this with a Dremel. Ever.....

Also don't ask me how I know......

On 2/18/2018 at 5:44 PM, TortugaNH said:

At SHOT show Beretta showed off a re-design of the bolt release latch on the 1301 Tactical. Has anyone heard about that migrating to the Comp? Beretta's website doesn't say anything about it.

im curious if we can buy this and if this well work with the older 1301s

1 hour ago, littlewing6283 said:

im curious if we can buy this and if this well work with the older 1301s

FWIW I’ve got an Aridus Industries cover/latch on both of my older 1301T’s (1K+ rds. thru one) & they have functioned flawlessly like all of the other Aridus products I use.

Edited by OldRunner

On 2/18/2018 at 7:44 PM, TortugaNH said:

At SHOT show Beretta showed off a re-design of the bolt release latch on the 1301 Tactical. Has anyone heard about that migrating to the Comp? Beretta's website doesn't say anything about it.

Redesigned how?