Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

when you shoot the slugs, what's the sight picture look like? if you are used to shooting trap and putting a dot on the other dot that's your problem.

I have to bury the mid bead dead center in the front bead to even get close. If I do the figure eight, its even higher off target.

Have you made sure your fit is correct? Several different stock shims come with the 1301.

Edited by Paul49

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you shoot the slugs, what's the sight picture look like? if you are used to shooting trap and putting a dot on the other dot that's your problem.

I have to bury the mid bead dead center in the front bead to even get close. If I do the figure eight, its even higher off target.

Have you made sure your fit is correct? Several different stock shims come with the 1301.

I'm going to try some different shims tonight.

I now have a 1301. Mine will shoot AAs fine but will not feed the Winchester white box loads. Will this change with more break in time as it does not have a lot of rounds thru it? When you put a +7 tube on it with no barrel clamp where do you attach the sling?

You will need the clamp to use a sling. I only put the clamp on mine when I need to sling it. I have tried quite a few different rounds in mine. I will have to go back and check my list to see about the white box. Don't think that is one I have tried yet. I have been keeping the box ends to track what I have put in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for quad loaders.... I will be loading weak hand. I have taken the Serial Number side down as far as I can go and the opposite side has be taken down to the same point. Is there any benefit to taking that side down any further? Now is the time to do it if I am going to, I just don't see any real benefit at this point. Thoughts?

Edited by idHawk

A couple questions for you guys.... After 20 pages into this thread, I thought I would just ask a couple questions. Like an idiot, I decided to try and run a new 1301 three days before the MGM IronMan. What could go wrong, right?

Took the gun out today and had cycling issues at first, but after about 60 rounds, I was able to run a full box of Rem Gun Club 1 1/8 oz loads with no issue. Herter Slugs functioned fine but they are about 11" high at 50 yards. RIO Low Recoil grouped well, same POI as the Herters, but would not cycle. Windage is dead on. Going to put a barrel clamp on tomorrow and see how that affects things. I would rather run the gun without the clamp, but I was curious what you guys run. Clamp or No Clamp? Going to open up the loading port tomorrow. It doesn't like dual or quad loads as is. It hangs up at insertion. If the slugs don't shoot differently with the clamp, I am going to install a .180 Tall STI front sight and Adjustable sight in the rear.... Glock or Bomar, depending on what I have lying around.

I need some reassurance here. Did I go off the deep end here? My rifle and Pistol are good to go, so I have a couple days to get this sorted out.

You are probably done with this, but maybe not. Just find the sight picture you need with the stock sights, it's made for three gun and shooting long distance slugs. No clamp is necessary. You can use one if you must, but they do change point of aim for slugs. They are not necessary for slings. Not going on patrol in Chu Lai, just going from point A to B-could use paracord.post-14685-0-54047400-1465329660_thumb.j

You don't need to do anything to the lifter, but you can cut it like this (Vezzoli mod).post-14685-0-59538000-1465329637_thumb.j

Here's how much I've taken off the port.post-14685-0-24660600-1465329676_thumb.j

Some guys run these stock except for opening the port a little. Simple is better.

Good luck at Ironman. Oil it between stages, clean after match-just wipe, blow some air and oil bolt and bolt carrier. Best 3 Gun shotgun going in my opinion.

Did I read correctly that you guys are cutting a couple coils off the lifter return spring?

Took 3 coils of mine, works good. Might try and test some limits of how much i can cut but 3 is good for now :)

Would also recommend that you polish the surfaces where the lifter touches the shell latch.

And don't be shy when you do your loading port work :)

81c41216-f26b-4a23-9bd5-a041f7146c07.jpg

Has anyone had problems with the QD swivel mount in the 1301 Comp's stock? Took the plastic plug out of mine and my Troy Industries sling swivel would insert but not catch.

Also, earlier in the thread someone made reference to a Carbon Arms product to install a sling swivel cup on the end of the Nordic magazine extension tube.

Is this the right product? If it threads on the inside of the end of the Nordic tube, does that leave the outside threads exposed? If you have a picture of it installed that would really help me grasp the concept.

http://www.carbonarms.us/Shotgun-Parts-mag-tubes-and-more/Carbon-Arms-VT-cap.html

Edited by Paul49

Has anyone had problems with the QD swivel mount in the 1301 Comp's stock? Took the plastic plug out of mine and my Troy Industries sling swivel would insert but not catch.

it is a known issue. the first fix is to insert an allen wrench into the QD mount and back it out a little bit to see if it will catch (the mount can be recessed into the stock too much). that worked for one of my QD swivels.

but on another swivel, that still wasn't enough to let it catch so I removed hte mount from the stock and ground down the top of the mount until the swivel would catch and then re-installed hte mouunt back into the stock.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Shot IronMan this last week and although I didn't do as well as I had hoped I would, I had a great time and my shotgun ran like a champ. I really like the 1301. I appreciate the tips.

How did your loading port come out? I actually have touched mine yet! That is my next mod, but being my first shotgun I am really not sure what angles I will want on it! So I have been shooting it stock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They came out great. Excellent for both dual and quad loads. I should have taken some pics, but I just barely had time to rough them out before the match. After the match, a buddy took it home with him for a couple weeks to polish everything up for me. I'll post pics when I get it back.

it is a known issue. the first fix is to insert an allen wrench into the QD mount and back it out a little bit to see if it will catch (the mount can be recessed into the stock too much). that worked for one of my QD swivels.

but on another swivel, that still wasn't enough to let it catch so I removed hte mount from the stock and ground down the top of the mount until the swivel would catch and then re-installed hte mouunt back into the stock.

Thanks, that worked. I emailed Beretta who said to use their QD swivel, they couldn't guarantee an aftermarket one to work. I went to their online store, the product was too expensive, but another product reviewer there made the same recommendation. Cannot believe I didn't think of it myself, since I previously removed the socket to install a Kick-Off system. Derrrr!

• 3 weeks later...

at first i was covering front sight when shooting hand throw clay. i couldn't break any of them.

then i used "8" sight picture and aim below target, broke them all. (IM carson choke).

funny how they use fiber optic front, but meant to cover them with mid bead sight.

liking the gun so far, light, fast cycle, easy to point.

Edited by skang

• 2 weeks later...

Put the first rounds through my 1301 yesterday. Alternated 2 boxes each of Wal Mart bulk Federal (2 3/4 7-1/2 shot 3 DR 1 1/8 oz. 1200 FPS) with RIO (2 3/4 7- 1/2 shot 2 3/4 DR 1.0z. 1210 FPS) Also mixed in 5 rounds of Federal Slugs. Used stock IC choke.

Slugs were POA / POI at 25 yd. with 3" grouping shooting off hand. Need to purchase some low recoil slugs and confirm at different distances.

Federal ran 100%. First box of RIO had 100% failure to feed. Last box maybe 1 out of 4 or five would feed OK. Need to clean, lube and repeat next week. Plan to try other loads as well. I expect to be able to run 2 3/4 DR loads after break in. FYI only YMMV.

Only mods have been to install a plus 6 Nordic tube, add HIViz front sight and some mild opening of the loading port. I only radiiussed the sharp edge of the port and worked on the step at the front that was catching the second shell during reloads. Much improved but more mods to the loading port will be done down the road but I want to run it,as is, to fully understand where to remove material and how much to remove. Carlson chokes on order. My focus will be on the archer before I do much to the arrow. First match will be at the end of July. Here's some photos.

20160716_080511.jpg

20160716_080741.jpg

20160716_080518.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...