Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you guys taking so much off the receiver? Is it because you are twins or quad loading and you want a smooth slide for your hand? I load weak hand and really didn't think anything needed to come off for that. I do have to watch to not get the shells too vertical or they stop.

Willi, for weakhand all you really need to do is remove the sharp edges, my personal 1301 has a lot less done to it than the ones I do for others simply because I don't know how they will load. It seems to be the norm for 2's, 4's, 6's and now 8's;P to remove a whole lot from the front so the thumb can maintain contact until the last possible moment, but it also tends to make the gun ugly to me, the serial number placement on the 1301's kind of keeps you from removing too much so it tends to keep a good look to it when the work is done.

Trapr

Thanks Trapr, I love this gun. Thanks Neomet. I haven't done anything to it, just shooting and loading practice. I have it in 8+1 Tactical mode. Doubles as my office, home , and occasional car gun. It just seems to fit me really well and it just moves really well with me.

Anyone running aftermarket sights? If so what kind. Thinking about swapping my stock ones out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using the HiViz TriComp FO front sight with the stock center bead.

Edited by pmt

Does the stock Front Sight unscrew? I want to install a larger front sight in addition to replacing the bead. XS seems to be a likely choice. I saw a iron v-shaped (black) rear sight this weekend on a M2 that was interesting.

My 1301 experience;

Took the gun out of the box and looked it over before heading to the range last week. I did not clean it on purpose. I figure that a $1k gun should work out of the box....

The gun ate the Federal Target load (11/8 oz, 1200 FPS, 71/2) from Wally World without a hiccup. Unfortunately, the Wally World Winchester Universal brand did not cycle well. I had a lot of FTE issues. Again I did not clean the gun nor break it in. When I switched ammo, no problems. I will try the WWWB at a later date just to see if it will work after the break in period.

The Winchester AA ammo worked flawlessly, but it had a little more kick to it. I expected it since it was faster and larger (1300 FPS, # 8) than the Federal Target stuff. I mixed some Winchester Super X #00 Buck and the AA in the tube and it ran without any problems. I shot some slugs (1oz, 1600 FPS) from the seating position and they felt really bad. I stopped after about 3 rounds....very painful to me due to my bony frame. Will take low recoil slugs the next time for sure!!!

Local 3-Gun Match on Saturday, April 12: 5 stages with four requiring a shotgun!

G19 perfect

Stag 3GL perfect

1301 Comp perfect

shooter....screwed up really bad (too many mistakes to mention); my second match

After the match:

The match director, RO and fellow shooters wanted to shoot the 1301....man was I proud! An ex-marine shot two shells from his M4 and two from the 1301 (his ammo) and thought the 1301 was lighter and had less recoil. He was really impressed with the ability to swing the gun. Another shooter was impressed with how fast the gun cycled. Beretta owes me a commission because I know for sure that one of the four shooters will be purchasing a 1301....:)

Changes to gun:

Nordic +5 tube

Plus one cap (blue)

Lock-tite on bolt release and bead (as per this forum)

Red marker ink on end of follower (as per this forum)....no need to purchase a new one

Change LOP to the max by adding the included spacers (skinny with long arms)

Problems for me with gun:

Load port needs to be modified to accommodate the load-two/four technique in my opinion. Heading to gunsmith this week for the mods! I may get the lifter welded, but it is not a problem for me as my thumbs are small.

Natural point of aim is off due to a right-handed gun that I am shooting left. I had to tilt the gun several time to get the bead to align with the FO sight. May be shooter vision problem as well. I think adding the factory shims will resolve this problem.

Final analysis:

The 1301 was the best 1k I have spent in a while.....great gun in my opinion.

Over and out....

Uncledoc

Anyone running aftermarket sights? If so what kind. Thinking about swapping my stock ones out.

How does the TriComp actually attach to the vent rib?

Local 3-Gun Match on Saturday, April 12: 5 stages with four requiring a shotgun!

G19 perfect

Stag 3GL perfect

1301 Comp perfect

shooter....screwed up really bad (too many mistakes to mention); my second match

...Red marker ink on end of follower (as per this forum)....no need to purchase a new one...

...Natural point of aim is off due to a right-handed gun that I am shooting left. I had to tilt the gun several time to get the bead to align with the FO sight. May be shooter vision problem as well. I think adding the factory shims will resolve this problem....

A couple things:

1. Which ammo did you end up using during the match? Which choke?

2. Can you explain the red ink marker on the follower or point to where it was discussed? I must have missed that one.

3. Just to be clear, you change shims, not add them. Don't double them up. I have both an A400 Xtreme and the 1301 comp. For both, I had to change the shims to a 65mm DX drop to get my natural POA right on. Also, in case you didn't know, as a right handed shooter, I point the 65mm DX on the shim upward and towards my shoulder. Since you're a left handed shoulder, you'll want to point the SX towards you're shoulder instead. And of course, you'll do this to both shims: the one separating the receiver / stock and the one that the lock nut is tightened on.

Edited by jonny4523

How does the TriComp actually attach to the vent rib?

G19 perfect

Stag 3GL perfect

1301 Comp perfect

...Red marker ink on end of follower (as per this forum)....no need to purchase a new one...

...Natural point of aim is off due to a right-handed gun that I am shooting left. I had to tilt the gun several time to get the bead to align with the FO sight. May be shooter vision problem as well. I think adding the factory shims will resolve this problem....

A couple things:

1. Which ammo did you end up using during the match? Which choke?

I used the Federal Target Value Pack ammo from Wally World during the match. I used the IC factory choke. In the market for a LM as per the article by Pat Kelly, "All Choked Up." I do not plan to change chokes during a match....just my preference. I desire a 2 inch choke to protect my nice blue plus one cap:)

2. Can you explain the red ink marker on the follower or point to where it was discussed? I must have missed that one.

I used the red marker to paint the end of the follower so the RO can see that the gun is clear. The factory follower is chrome and shiny and can be mistaken for a shell in the tube. Sorry, it may have been another thread where I read about the idea. It worked for me. The Nordic followers are blue and reddish which I take is designed to help the RO and shooter.

3. Just to be clear, you change shims, not add them. Don't double them up. I have both an A400 Xtreme and the 1301 comp. For both, I had to change the shims to a 65mm DX drop to get my natural POA right now. Also, in case you didn't know, as a right handed shooter, I point the 65mm DX on the shim upward and towards my shoulder. Since you're a left handed shoulder, you'll want to point the SX towards you're shoulder instead. And of course, you'll do this to both shims: the one separating the receiver / stock and the one that the lock nut is tightened on.

Thank you for the clarity. I will be using a gunsmith for this to avoid problems. I don't have the tools nor skills to tackle the shim issue. I appreciate your tip!

Edited by uncledoc

Where is the rail for the Tx4 available?

Nevermind :D found it

Hopefully you found it for a better price than I did! Beretta had it for $65. Brownells for $141!!!!! Are you serious? Part numbers match on both too (E5D864). That part should cost about $15 max.

You don't have a socket wrench and Phillips screwdriver?

I have the screwdriver, but not the socket wrench. That is my problem, I do not want to purchase a bunch of tools. I sold everything when I stop working on cars over ten years ago. I know, tools are like pickups.....everybody needs one sooner or later:)

I changed my shim to the 65 option and it made a huge difference. No more hitting high. The POI was the same as my POA. I just need to work on my loading as that seems to be my main problem.

Thank you 69....I expect the same results when the gunsmith has finished the project for me......

My Beretta 1301 Comp article will be in Issue 13 of Recoil at the end of May. Thanks to all the people that talked to me at SMM3G about the history of 3 gun shotguns including Eric and Kurt Miller, Ken Anderson, Richard White, and Pat Kelly

Really awesome gun out of the box. I had it for a week before the match and shot one local match with it then shot SMM3G as part of my evaluation. No malfunctions of any kind.

Edited by SinistralRifleman