Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

Screw backed out and couldn't find it. I would at least think they would throw a little lock-tite on it. Thanks for the number!

I just had the same thing happen to me while practicing my reloads. When I tried to get the small screw back into the bolt release, the threads wouldn't catch so I picked up a longer version of the M3X6 screw at Home Depot and now it holds.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw backed out and couldn't find it. I would at least think they would throw a little lock-tite on it. Thanks for the number!

I just had the same thing happen to me while practicing my reloads. When I tried to get the small screw back into the bolt release, the threads wouldn't catch so I picked up a longer version of the M3X6 screw at Home Depot and now it holds.

I just went and put some blue loctite on mine. It didn't take much at all to get the screw out though. Hopefully that's all it'll need.

Those of you that have replaced the front fiber optic sight with a brighter, longer one...does it just screw out with a pair of pliers?

Also, which fiber optic have you replaced it with? (please post a link)

Thanks!

I used a long hi viz mounted at the mid rail point left the stock re fiber in place, it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Trapr

I know you said your IC choke patterned well and was knocking over steel at 25 yds with 7.5 shot. Did you even bother with getting a light mod or did the IC suffice for a wider choke?

Okay boys and girls, help me understand about followers. I realize that some of the aftermarket followers are shorter (overall length) than the Beretta follower. How are they better other than being a brighter color and being a lower drag?

Pat

Okay boys and girls, help me understand about followers. I realize that some of the aftermarket followers are shorter (overall length) than the Beretta follower. How are they better other than being a brighter color and being a lower drag?

Pat

I think you answered your own question. They're shorter - this may allow that 1 extra round to be loaded, depending on your tube configuration. They're lower drag - they're less likely to 'hang up' and cause feeding issues.

^^^^

This. With some combination of tube extensions you sometimes run into issues getting the last round in. Shotshells vary enough in length that if you stack 10 or 12 of them that little bit becomes enough to make your last round hard/impossible to load.

If ya get the itch for s shorter follower let me know. I've got one that is in my "I'll sell it one day" stack o' stuff"

Edited by Neomet

Pat

I think you answered your own question. They're shorter - this may allow that 1 extra round to be loaded, depending on your tube configuration. They're lower drag - they're less likely to 'hang up' and cause feeding issues.

Overall they are shorter but the spring stacks inside both so the only place that I can see that might be different is the thickness of the face. There is not enough space inside either for the complete spring to stack into.

Pat

^^^^

This. With some combination of tube extensions you sometimes run into issues getting the last round in. Shotshells vary enough in length that if you stack 10 or 12 of them that little bit becomes enough to make your last round hard/impossible to load.

If ya get the itch for s shorter follower let me know. I've got one that is in my "I'll sell it one day" stack o' stuff"

Yeppers, the different brands vary a bit in OAL and with some you come up 1/8" shy of getting the last one in the tube. If the needed space is short enough then unscrewing the cap a few turns will give the needed space in the tube.

Pat

Ok so I ran my first match today with my 1301 and I had one major issue. The bolt was not coming back enough to extract the spent hull and load another. I was using 3 DRAM 7.5oz Federal shells and I was basically running a pump gun for the match. Before the match I only had time to run 10 slugs through it (of those 10 this happened to me twice with Finocci low recoil slugs).

So the question I have is there something wrong with the shells I am using or do I just need to deal with it until it breaks in? As you can guess it was an extremely frustrating match today, and it would be nice if I can get my shotgun running right.

Mine ran fine no break in. I did take it apart when I got it cleaned and lobed it. I have at least 4 people I shoot with, one even added his mag tube and used straight out of the box day of the match. His ran fine.

I do not compete with mine but I have about 600-800 rounds through it. I actually have not taken it apart to clean it, but I have lubricated the bolt with Slip 2000 EWL several times. (the bolt twists into place like an AR-15 bolt) I also put a couple drops of this oil where I can see the rails on the inside of the receiver.

Federal are the best for all of my semis. I can run the 2.75 DRAM shells in the 1301 with no problem.

Ok so I ran my first match today with my 1301 and I had one major issue. The bolt was not coming back enough to extract the spent hull and load another. I was using 3 DRAM 7.5oz Federal shells and I was basically running a pump gun for the match. Before the match I only had time to run 10 slugs through it (of those 10 this happened to me twice with Finocci low recoil slugs).

So the question I have is there something wrong with the shells I am using or do I just need to deal with it until it breaks in? As you can guess it was an extremely frustrating match today, and it would be nice if I can get my shotgun running right.

Hmmm I did oil it quite a bit before the match, but I must of not got it in the right spot. I am cleaning it on my day off I can pull the bolt out and give it a good look.

Thanks all, I really hope its that simple and just needs some oil

When I first got my other gun (CZ 712) I did not understand that the piston area needs no lube. So make sure you are not lubricating there :). As far as I know, the two places I mentioned (rotating bolt and rails that come into the reciever) are the only two places that require lubrication.

Hmmm I did oil it quite a bit before the match, but I must of not got it in the right spot. I am cleaning it on my day off I can pull the bolt out and give it a good look.

Thanks all, I really hope its that simple and just needs some oil

Lubing the outside if the mag tube where the spring slides as well as the inside of the plastic sleeve that holds

The spring can use oil. I discovered that 1oz loads of European manufacture even though they are 2.75 dram can cause issues with functioning, I think it has to do with the powder pressure curve, and burn rate. Euro powders on the cheaper stuff seems to burn dirtier or more incomplete than US powders.

STI91, I have an LM choke that patterns birdshot fine, and I will use it but if the stage calls for any slugs I will use the IC. The IC could easily be used for everything and then just get a M for tighter patterns

Thx Trpr. I ordered a Carlson LM & IM thinking I can run either w/o slugs. Got it Friday, lubed it up, took it to the range this morning. First box of Fed 3dr, 1 1/8, 7.5 shot had FTF every round. After that, ran like a top with 3 different loads. slugs spot on also at 50 yards. No chance to print on paper. Just steel silhouette.

Well I just finished my first 3Gun match this Sunday. It was only my 3rd time shooting the gun and first time shooting at something other than clays. I consistently shot high on all the steel targets so I will have to mentally work on that. The gun ran FLAWLESSLY. It turned a couple heads and got a few compliments. Now that I'm done with my first event I can definitely see the need to port the loading gate a little more and weld the lifter. The lifter wasn't a problem loading 2 but my buddy will be sharing the gun with me from now on. He will be loading shells individually as he has little baby hands.

I did have to put a little Loctite on the mag release screw. It came loose both times I shot the gun before the match. It seems like there are only a couple threads that hold the button on. After the Loctite it didn't back out (obviously).

I'm also going to pick up a Modified choke and see how that changes my shot pattern.

Overall it was an awesome day! I went in with the goal of not getting DQ'ed, finishing last or shooting anyone. I didn't get DQ'ed, finished 20th out of 35 and didn't put anyone in the hospital.

Well I just finished my first 3Gun match this Sunday. It was only my 3rd time shooting the gun and first time shooting at something other than clays. I consistently shot high on all the steel targets so I will have to mentally work on that. The gun ran FLAWLESSLY. It turned a couple heads and got a few compliments. Now that I'm done with my first event I can definitely see the need to port the loading gate a little more and weld the lifter. The lifter wasn't a problem loading 2 but my buddy will be sharing the gun with me from now on. He will be loading shells individually as he has little baby hands.

I did have to put a little Loctite on the mag release screw. It came loose both times I shot the gun before the match. It seems like there are only a couple threads that hold the button on. After the Loctite it didn't back out (obviously).

I'm also going to pick up a Modified choke and see how that changes my shot pattern.

Overall it was an awesome day! I went in with the goal of not getting DQ'ed, finishing last or shooting anyone. I didn't get DQ'ed, finished 20th out of 35 and didn't put anyone in the hospital.

Instead of just making a mental note about the slugs hitting high and trying to use Kentucky windage next time out, you should look into changing out some of the drop shims that came with the gun.

When you shoulder the gun, how does the front pin line up with the mid bead?

I just got a Beretta 1301. Grouped slugs very well at 50 yards but they were all high. My natural point of aim with the stock shims caused my front bead to appear to 'sit' on top of my mid bead. I had to force myself to line them up. I switched out the factory 60mm drop shim with a 65mm drop shim (allowing the tip of the shogun to pivot down more until the buttstock hit my cheek). Now my natural point of aim automatically brings the mid bead and front bead into alignment. With this, I'm putting slugs point of aim / point of impact at 50 yards.

Not saying this is definitely your issue. But if your groups are consistent, just not in the center, then it might be a start.

Edited by jonny4523

"baby hands" ...ROFL.

Also you may want to loctite the mid bead.

last week I shot two 3 gun matches with my new 1301. after about 400 rounds so far I have not had a single issue. Last Sunday I shot the Noveske Atlanta 3gun match in the poring down rain and got mud all over it to. I was very, very, very, happy with the 1301 and I know that I finished 6th overall because of it running so smooth and fast. Now I have to work on me being smooth and faster.