Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I find a couple of decent self defense bullets?

XxMerlinxX

I'm looking to load a couple of self defense rounds for myself, maybe only 50, but I'm having a hard time finding a decent bullet. Jake at RMR used to have pulled 147gr Federal HST bullets, but has been sold out of those for a long time and says they're not likely to come back anytime soon. I'd like something with well tested ballistics behind it, like the HST or Winchester Ranger bullet, but haven't had luck sourcing anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm looking to load a couple of self defense rounds for myself, maybe only 50, but I'm having a hard time finding a decent bullet. Jake at RMR used to have pulled 147gr Federal HST bullets, but has been sold out of those for a long time and says they're not likely to come back anytime soon. I'd like something with well tested ballistics behind it, like the HST or Winchester Ranger bullet, but haven't had luck sourcing anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Speer Gold Dot?

If you dig all the people who say to only use factory loads for self defense (which I think seems like a good idea) just buy one box of Hornady XTP factory loads, or the new self defense one and use them. Most of us should not have to use up more than one box for self defense in a lifetime.

Just buy factory stuff for any kind of "self defense" ammo. After listening to all of the recent Zimmerman trial i've come to the conclusion that you might want to have a mechanically stock gun and factory ammo.

Well... just to be helpful! (From a Glock 17L)

Bullet: Speer 147 gr. Gold Dot
Powder: Alliant Power Pistol 5.0 grs.
Primer: CCI-500
Case: CCI/Blazer
LOAL: 1.130
Average Velocity: 982.54 fps
ES: 40.40
SD: 12.92

For comparison.

Bullet: Winchester Ranger 147 gr. SXT JHP (Factory)
Average Velocity: 944.14 fps
ES: 29.11
SD: 8.66

If you dig all the people who say to only use factory loads for self defense (which I think seems like a good idea) just buy one box of Hornady XTP factory loads, or the new self defense one and use them. Most of us should not have to use up more than one box for self defense in a lifetime.

+10000000

As a Deputy that has since retired I liked the Winchester Ranger ammo for my Glock 17, 19 and 34. I have carried the 115 grain +P+, 124 grain +P and the `147 grain. Each bullet has its benefits and drawbacks. At times I would even stagger the rounds in my magazines. Good luck and be safe

Nothing wrong with loading defense ammo. I shoot about 500 rounds a year of "defense" loadings. Verification and rotation of ammo supplies are a good idea. If I only had factory ammo, I would be less trained and less prepared than my current procedures allow.

If you use published data with premium quality bullets, you have NO MORE legal peril than buying factory ammo. Pure paranoia based on myth, not fact. If you use handloads and get in wringer, call me and I will prepare an affidavit for you stating that the entity loading a cartridge has no bearing on the lethality of the bullet you fired. And yes I am a court endorsed ballistics and shooting reconstruction expert.

If you use published data with premium quality bullets, you have NO MORE legal peril than buying factory ammo. Pure paranoia based on myth, not fact. If you use handloads and get in wringer, call me and I will prepare an affidavit for you stating that the entity loading a cartridge has no bearing on the lethality of the bullet you fired. And yes I am a court endorsed ballistics and shooting reconstruction expert.

I agree with you on the myth. Are their any real life cases where someone was found guilty for using reloaded ammo in a SD situation?

My lawyer would simply say to the jury that commercial loads are just too expensive do to shortages and my client was reloading his own ammo to save money. :-)

There is not a single case that exists where the use of hand loaded ammo or even gun modification had a direct effect on the outcome of a case. The few that Ayoob claims exist, if you delve further into them, are actually premeditated murder cases, however the elements of the cases resulted in verdicts and sentences equivalent to other cases where specific ammo was not an issue. The Hinkley assassination attempt of Reagan is one cited case, and I think we can all figure that one out.

A round fired is intended to stop a threat, end a life, or... The comparative lethality of the discharged round only comes into play with LE and the force continuum related to force escalation.

I'll not comment further, but if you have a question, feel free to send me a PM.