Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 JM Pro Charging handle won't come out

Keeganxt

That's about it. I have a brand new JM that I picked up tonight and I wanted to give it a thorough cleaning but I cant Get the charging handle to budge. However it does move and jiggle like other 930 charging handles do. I've looked up every thread and video I could find and all say to just give a firm tug straight out and out it will pop. I've tried pliers, the shoelace method (in my case paracord loop with a hammer swung into it) and nothing.

Any tips? Should take it to a gun smith... Or is there a chance that the detent is locked up and shooting it may free it?

Where did you buy it from? Maybe take it back to where you bought it and have them give it a pull. Since this is your first take down would you please tell me about the piston, ring and seal ring arrangement? Was the seal ring installed inside the piston ring on the piston or was is sitting loose on top of the piston and ring?

Good luck and thanks.

Steve

Mine was also pain to get out for the first time. I actually thought I was taking it apart wrong and might break it. I was going to say give it some firm tugs but it sounds like yours is pretty bad. I would also suggest taking it back to the shop and seeing if they can get it, or try putting some Kroil down there and working it in to the detent if you have any.

Yes, I agree, this can be construed as a good problem to some. I purchased from Palmetto State Armory, so all sales are final and any issues need to go back to manufacturer.

I guess I need to try the screw driver method, maybe with a shim of wood as a fulcrum. I tried putting CLP down into it and let it sit for a while last night too and nada. Would WD40 or liquid wrench be better to try and free the detent or would that not be good for the metal long term since they're pentrating lubricants?

Is the notch in the charging handle V shaped?

Where did you buy it from? Maybe take it back to where you bought it and have them give it a pull. Since this is your first take down would you please tell me about the piston, ring and seal ring arrangement? Was the seal ring installed inside the piston ring on the piston or was is sitting loose on top of the piston and ring?

Good luck and thanks.

Steve

Mine looked like this when taken out...the outer ring was holding the inner ring to the rest of the piston.

duje3uhe.jpg

That's a no go with the screwdriver. Still stuck. I guess I'm going to go shoot it this weekend and then see if that loosens it up and try one more time.

I'm sorry to read it's still stuck, hopefully some cycling will loosen things up for you.

Thanks for the piston / ring picture. It's funny that mine came with the seal ring off, just like the Mossberg parts diagram, and so did a friend of mines' JM Pro. Not knowing any better I ran mine like this for about 2K rounds until I seen a you tube video showing the cleaning of the piston assembly.

Good luck with your charge handle, keep us posted.

Steve